Assault Weapons Ban in U.S. has expired

[quote]Well if you’re calling baiting innocent creatures (deer) and then shooting them sport or using dogs to flush out rabbits, etc. sport, well you got me there. One man’s sport is another man’s murder.
[/quote]
Hee hee! Spoken like a true townie. You don’t work on the side for Tony Blair do you?

Er, no, you’re not. Out of the several hundred gun owners I knew back home, I don’t know ANY who have accidentally shot themselves, nor any who have gotten into drunken shootings. Deaths from gun accidents were under 200 per year last I looked.

Wow, are you uninformed. Well, but why would I be surprised. . . . I’ve tried to go on two types of hunts since high school – unsuccessfully so on both due to time constraints – prairie-dog shooting and feral pig hunting. The AR-15 is eminently suitable for both types of hunting. Farmers appreciate having these animals eliminated, because in the case of prairie dogs, the little rodents spread disease and damage pastures, and in the case of feral pigs, them suckers are just plain dangerous.

There’s also the simple enjoyment of target shooting, which is most of what I engaged in. Some matches, particularly those sponsored by the DCM, require military style rifles, because these matches are sponsored by the U.S. military to build civilian shooting skills.

Then of course there’s Boomershoot, to which some people bring 50-cal rifles (especially for the 700 yard targets). Personally, though, I use a .308 bolt-action for that one, although I hope to be able to take my Gatling to next year’s. :smiley:

[quote]The AR-15 is eminently suitable for both types of hunting. Farmers appreciate having these animals eliminated, because in the case of feral pigs, them suckers are just plain dangerous.
[/quote]

Ya big girls blouse! The only real man’s way of killing a wild pig is on foot, with a lance. Anyone care for an afternoon of pig-sticking after a spot of tiffin? Toodle-pip!

Based out of Idaho. Idaho! THAT’S the place I was thinking of when you posted those pics of kids with guns. America’s heartland for white supremacists and nutjob survivalists.
Oh, OK. And potatoes. :wink:

I’m undecided on the issue of gun control. I do support the 2nd Amendment but am not sufficiently educated re guns to decide which types should be banned or restricted (although I think that some types most certainly should be banned or restricted). I’m no hunter either.

However, I think your statement above illustrates a lack of understanding or ignorance re hunting. In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, we have so many deer running around EVERYWHERE that the farmers are permitted to shoot them when seen on their land anytime (even out of season). The deer do a tremendous amount of damage to crops and are a danger and at danger when they cross the roads. The roadsides are literally littered with deer carcasses in my commonwealth. Per my knowledge, the limit on deer kills has steadily increased in Pennsylvania over the past few decades and the issue of how to control their numbers is debated frequently.

Its the deer, not the hunters, per my knowledge, that are the threat to hunters (at least in Pennsylvania).

“The Magnificent Tigerman”
Its the deer, not the hunters, per my knowledge, that are the threat to hunters (at least in Pennsylvania).[/quote]

Of course, evil Bambi is threatening the lives of those innocent little hunters. :laughing:

Hey, why don’t the good folks of Pennsylvania come up with a way to stop the deers from overpopulating the land and then there won’t be as many deers causing the damage to the farms? Then the wicked deers wouldn’t cause so many problems.

That my friends is a deer on a spit. I am drooling just looking at it.

[quote=“Alleycat”]

That my friends is a deer on a spit. I am drooling just looking at it.[/quote]

I bet the deer wasn’t killed with no automatic weapon. If it were, I can’t imagine that there would be anything left of the animal to even put on a toothpick.

Sounds like they have.
Anyway, what would you suggest? Poisoning? Trapping? Educational videos about safe deer sex?
Or you could just let nature take its course, I suppose, and have the fucking ignorant greenie tree-huggers wailing and gnashing their teeth when the winter comes and the overpopulation of deer leads to their poor sensitive city-living eyes being assaulted when they they leave their urban areas by the sight of hundreds of emaciated starving and diseased animals they encounter while they try to commune with nature.
“Oh, but why can’t somebody DO something?” they’ll whine. To which the irate farmer or keeper will reply: “Because you ignorant city twats have a majority over the rural voters, and the policies YOU voted for have led to this. Tell me, how does it make you FEEEEEEEEEL?”

[quote=“cableguy”][quote=“Alleycat”]

That my friends is a deer on a spit. I am drooling just looking at it.[/quote]

I bet the deer wasn’t killed with no automatic weapon. If it were, I can’t imagine that there would be anything left of the animal to even put on a toothpick.[/quote]

Thanks cableguy. My point exactly: I think hunting should be legal. Legal hunting means people need to own guns BUT NOT automatic weapons.

cableguy wrote [quote]Hey, why don’t the good folks of Pennsylvania come up with a way to stop the deers from overpopulating the land and then there won’t be as many deers causing the damage to the farms?[/quote]

Sandman wrote [quote]Sounds like they have.
Anyway, what would you suggest? Poisoning? Trapping? Educational videos about safe deer sex?[/quote]

How about a sterilization program in which the animals are rendered unable to give birth. In the states, the ASPCA does that with stray dogs and cats. Why would it not work with deer. They could be trapped, sterilized and then the problem would be under control. See, Sandman, if you just give a few minutes thought to the problem an acceptable solution can be found.

Sandman wrote[quote]Or you could just let nature take its course, I suppose, and have the fucking ignorant greenie tree-huggers wailing and gnashing their teeth when the winter comes and the overpopulation of deer leads to their poor sensitive city-living eyes being assaulted when they they leave their urban areas by the sight of hundreds of emaciated starving and diseased animals they encounter while they try to commune with nature.
“Oh, but why can’t somebody DO something?” they’ll whine. To which the irate farmer or keeper will reply: “Because you ignorant city twats have a majority over the rural voters, and the policies YOU voted for have led to this. Tell me, how does it make you FEEEEEEEEEL?”[/quote]

Please, you do a very poor fred smith imitation. :unamused:

Sorry to disappoint you guys but I have hunted as well as done my fair share of skinning deers and rabbits growing up in the hills of North Carolina.
MT - a farmer shooting deer is not hunting.
I too have known hundreds of gun owners (and hunters) - mostly rednecks living in Tennessee, NC, VA, OK, AR, etc…that couldn’t wait for deer season so they could get out there and drink with their buddies and shoot some deer. I don’t need statistics on how many people have been killed in hunting accidents, knowing there were drunks with loaded guns walking around my place was enough to keep me indoors (or at least out of the woods) during hunting season or listening to the police scanner as accidents were called in.

What logical reason is there for banning such “assault weapons?”

The problem was not the gun, but that your mother didn’t know how to handle it. Just drawing from my own experience, I’ve known plenty of redneck and non-redneck gun owners; I don’t recall any of them being anything less than vigilant about safe handling of firearms.

Just as long as you keep it in the family, I see no reason why your family’s reckless habits with firearms should be cause for taking gun ownership rights from law abiding citizens.

Why would a rational person want to own a car? A lot more people die from car accidents than intentional or accidental shootings. Do you even know what these so called “assault weapons” are?

What exactly is wrong with hunting?

Most farmers I know do at least a bit of hunting. Many farmers in the flood plains of the Mississippi River welcome duck hunters in the winter. Quite a lot of the larger farms in my area (TN/AR) host duck and dove hunting clubs. I don’t recall ever hearing any farmers bitching about hunters. Most of them are happy to get a bit of revenue in the off season and have a few more buddies to go hunting with.

WTF? I guess you’re a vegetarian? Have you ever visited a slaughter house? They’re hardly humane and are absoluteley fucking filthy.

I guess you never eat the factory farmed, antibiotic and hormone overdosed chicken, pork and beef that is found in every US supermarket? I haven’t hunted in over a decade, but if I had the time to get out there, I’d prefer venison, goose or duck any day over the shit found in the megastores.

[quote]How about a sterilization program in which the animals are rendered unable to give birth. In the states, the ASPCA does that with stray dogs and cats. Why would it not work with deer. They could be trapped, sterilized and then the problem would be under control. See, Sandman, if you just give a few minutes thought to the problem an acceptable solution can be found.

Sandman wrote:
Or you could just let nature take its course, I suppose, and have the fucking ignorant greenie tree-huggers wailing and gnashing their teeth when the winter comes and the overpopulation of deer leads to their poor sensitive city-living eyes being assaulted when they they leave their urban areas by the sight of hundreds of emaciated starving and diseased animals they encounter while they try to commune with nature.
“Oh, but why can’t somebody DO something?” they’ll whine. To which the irate farmer or keeper will reply: “Because you ignorant city twats have a majority over the rural voters, and the policies YOU voted for have led to this. Tell me, how does it make you FEEEEEEEEEL?”

Please, you do a very poor fred smith imitation. [/quote]
All of which has been studied at great length by people with far more knowledge of the situation than you appear to have, and have been dismissed as totally unworkable. And that was in Penysylvannia, not someplace like Maine, where they don’t even have a blind CLUE how many deer there are. How do you go about sterilizing a population you can’t control, can’t find and can’t count? If you think about it for more than 30 seconds, you’ll see how crazy that is.

And the second part of my post was not a FS impersonation. That is what actually happened in Scotland at one point a few years ago, until the fucking half-wit city slickers backed down and people who actually had a fucking clue were able to restore balance.

I imagine you don’t “need them” because the numbers are so small that they wouldn’t support any of your arguments.

What a bunch of bullshit. I’ve hunted in quite a few different states and in quite a few circles of people. Some could be called rednecks, some weren’t redneck at all. One of the few things that was common among all of them was the peer pressure to handle guns safely. That included no drinking whatsoever. The penalties for getting busted with a loaded firearm while under the influence are huge. The game wardens and other law enforcement folks in all of the jurisdictions I’ve hunted in had no tolerance whatsoever for alcohol and guns together. Furthermore, in just about every state nobody born after about 1970 can hunt without completing a hunter education course. I don’t know what the statistics are like right now, but in the late 80s and early 90s, almost all the hunting accidents in TN and AR involved people who were hunting illegally or had not completed a hunter education course because they grandfathered out of it.

You keep making out like hunters are all a bunch of wreckless louts. Show us some statistics, then. Bring out these shocking numbers of people killed in hunting accidents every year.

Well, first off, I realize you’re too functionally illiterate to read things (judging from past performance), but
the so-called “assault weapons” aren’t machine guns
. Second off, you’d be wrong anyway. Third off, it probably wasn’t one, since machine guns aren’t legal for hunting with in any state of the U.S. (presumably the photo is from the U.S.), and they’re a bitch to obtain legally. Maybe in that frozen wasteland called “Canada”, they’re used for hunting, I dunno; in Russia, I can guarantee that they hunt with machine guns. Not sure about anywhere else, but hey, if you’ve got just one rifle and it happens to be fully automatic, and you want a deer, go for it. Pretty much all of the fully automatic rifles, such as the M16 or the AKM-47, have selector switches to fire one round at a time instead of a burst, anyway.

Go for it! You do it. Catch them deeries and cut their twats out, man. You can even keep “the good parts” for yourself for, uh, your own enjoyment. Run wild.

Oh yeah – you get to pay for the program’s costs, too.

I can attest to that personally; in 1991, I was working in NY, and drove from there to Chicago to pick up some stuff. In October. Middle of the rutting season.

I saw at least a hundred dead deer all over the highway in the approx four hours it took to drive across PA. Many were still in the middle of a lane, with two furrows dug through down to the pavement by all the cars that had driven over them since they’d first been hit. You’d see a whole herd of glowing dots off to the side of the road at dusk or nighttime, which were their eyes reflecting the cars’ lights back at the road.

I planted my car behind a semi and drove the entire way glued to his bumper, just to reduce my risk of having a collision with a deer. I’d say it was in the top ten most stressful driving experiences of my life, and I drove a lot of miles.

And could have been avoided with no cost to the state if they had just issued more deer tags and lengthened the hunting season that year. Actually, the state could have made money off of it considering that many states charge (or charged way back when) fifty or sixty bucks for a deer tag and even higher rates for hunting licenses.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]And you wonder how Columbine can only happen in the USA?

I believe the age for gun ownership in certain States is younger than the legal drinking age.
It is a comfort the know that you won’t be shot by a drunkard.[/quote]

Or at least not a legally drunk drunkard…

Columbine didn’t just happen in the US, but it does say something when 99% of all school shootings by students have happened in one country. Thank God for people like those kids’ parents who understand the need to instill American traditions at an early age.

Is it just me, or did the background of every single one of those pictures look like the inside of a trailer?

Not the lives. The deer threaten the famers’ livelihoods.

Hunting? Or were you thinking of handing out free contraceptives to the deer?