Assaulted in Taipei

A call to arms huh? I’ve flipped off plenty of a-holes who cut me off and sometimes nearly kill me. Still have yet for one to step out of their car though. Could be something to do with my ungodly size. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: I guess I’m just lucky. But if one decides to come at me…ohh man… :smiling_imp:

[quote=“Michael J Botti”]As a rule you don’t give anyone the finger unless you are ready to go…

You were on a scooter and he still managed to catch you?..How the heck did that happen?

In the future, if you want to choose the flip and flight option, flee directly to the nearest police station and don’t mess around.

You didn’t take off your helmet did you?

I would leave it alone, the odds of this being a local gangster are fairly high in that area, and why risk being followed/threatened/harrassed everytime you get on your scooter?

Drop it, and be thankful you weren’t seriously injured…

JMHO[/quote]
Nice post. Take Michael’s advice. They might find out where you live, etc. It could escalate. Let it go.

[quote=“Boomer”]Here is my suggestion.
Put all the information right down to the very detail right here for all to see. With several thousand registered users here on Forumosa somebody lives in your neighborhood.
You might also want to contact the Canadian Society here in Taiwan.[/quote]
You could also ask the Overseas Americans in Taiwan (OAT) to file a Freedom Of Information Act request with the AIT to demand all information that the FAP have on your case.

Another victory for the rule of law in Taiwan :unamused:

I used use 2 fingers, English style. But they don’t seem to get it- probably think I want them to take a picture.

[quote=“cw.jc”]Sorry, no offense, but if someone in any city in the states hits someone with a bat and the cops know who did it that person would go to jail with some serious charges. A bat can easily be a lethal weapon with a single head shot…
All you have to say these days in the states is I want to press charges and someone is going to jail and the court will have to settle it. I know this for sure.[/quote]

The relevant point being that the cops actually KNOW who did it… Saying that you want to press charges is easy when it’s domestic violence, try doing that for a hit (literally) and run with half a license plate number…

This makes me recall a story my wife once told about driving with her uncle in Tainan County. Following a minor traffic accident, the other driver jumped out of his car with a baseball. Her uncle jumped out and they yelled at each other for a while until they settled down and discussed who would pay. Where I come from, if you jump out of your car with a bat, you’d better be prepared to kill or be killed. Living here we get so used to the idea that no one pays attention to tough-guy posturing that when someone does take it seriously, we’re shocked. Would you be flipping people off bat-yielding motorcyclists for the same thing back in grassfields of your homeland and be surprised that ‘something’ happened?

By the way, I doubt he plays for a real ball team. An old girlfriend of mine is a serious ball player. She’s a 5’4’’ Japanese lady, and if she hit you, they’d be measuring you for a pine box.

Somebody took the piss out of me the other day for suggesting there was no rule of law in Taiwan.

Hex:

It must be a relief not to have to piss anymore. :sunglasses:

My father-in-law keeps a couple of baseball bats close to the front door of his Sanchong printing company - one is an aluminum bat, and the other is a “shorty” wooden bat. They still have the plastic protective sleeves on them that they came with, so I doubt he’s used them for baseball. Anyway, the blood wipes off easier that way probably. :wink:

Did I ever mention that I am a very respectful, deferential, considerate son-in-law who treats his wife like a goddess? :smiley:

[quote=“Hobart”][quote=“Michael J Botti”]…
In the future, if you want to choose the flip and flight option, flee directly to the nearest police station and don’t mess around.

I would leave it alone, the odds of this being a local gangster are fairly high in that area…[/quote]
Nice post. Take Michael’s advice. They might find out where you live, etc. It could escalate. Let it go.[/quote]

“The skillful soldier does not raise a second levy, neither are his supply-wagons loaded more than twice.” Sunzi Bingfa

Interpretation: Once war is declared, he will not waste precious time in waiting for reinforcements, nor will he return his army back for fresh supplies, but crosses the enemy’s frontier without delay.

You should have killed him then and there, but instead you ran when he upped the ante. What can I say? :unamused:

Source: Sunzi Bingfa Chapter Two: Waging War with annotations

Nah, I think it’s that sensible people don’t flip Latinos the bird… :laughing: and when you flip them, they probably think twice!

[quote=“Quirky”][quote=“Hobart”][quote=“Michael J Botti”]…

I would leave it alone, the odds of this being a local gangster are fairly high in that area…[/quote]
Nice post. Take Michael’s advice. They might find out where you live, etc. It could escalate. Let it go.[/quote]

“The skillful soldier does not raise a second levy, neither are his supply-wagons loaded more than twice.” Sunzi Bingfa

Interpretation: Once war is declared, he will not waste precious time in waiting for reinforcements, nor will he return his army back for fresh supplies, but crosses the enemy’s frontier without delay.

You should have killed him then and there, but instead you ran when he upped the ante. What can I say? :unamused:
[/quote]

So I wonder if one of those shorty bats will fit in my scooter boot? I think that the next time an idiot jumps out of his car waving a baseball bat he’ll find me with mine. :smiling_imp: Or maybe a nine iron.

Two peanuts were walking down the road. One of them was a salted.

Didn’t really mean to. I’m arguing that despite appearances, there really is rule of law in Taiwan. Many foreigners think otherwise until they had a dispute or break the law and are then surprised to find out that Taiwan has laws that are enforced against them.

Back to our topic: The United States is arguably governed by rule of law. If you flip someone off or kick someone’s car in a big city like LA or Chicago, you are taking your life in your hands. You’d be lucky if all someone did was take a baseball bat after you. Like Taiwan, people go ballistic when others touch their precious cars. So I don’t think rule of law has much to do with this situation.

I have kicked, spit at, and thrown things at cars. I do these sorts of things when their drivers played fast and loose with my personal saftey. One guy came past me so fast that he knocked my back pack off my back. I picked it up and threw it at him. He got out and told me to apologize for denting the trunk of his car. (I don’t think there was dent.) I said “Fuck that you just about ran me over”. He got back in his car and drove away. The spitting thing is something I do when I get the feeling that someone is using their car to push me around. Nobody has gotten out of their car yet and I am not a big guy.

Bullshit. Most people in L.A. AREN’T thug gangsters that would shoot you/bat you if you ever did something like that. Those people do exist, yes, but they constitute a vast, VAST minority of people. Most would just flip you right back if you give the bird, or something else to that effect. And the worst it comes to most times is a fist fight between two people who couldn’t fight to save their life.

I will say that compared to Taiwan, L.A. is a cakewalk as far as traffic courtesy goes. In my own experiences here, I never would have thought any place could be worse for that than Los Angeles. :raspberry:

Whatever, Mr. tough guy.

You are exercising poor judgment.

It is a form of Taiwanese roulette. For every XX number of people you spit at, flip off, throw something at, etc. there will be a fraction of XX that will not drive away or try to apologize – they will attempt to beat the shit out of you or run you over – using the same bad judgment that you did when you incited them.
I do it sometimes, but I am fully aware that it could result in a fight.
(By the way, I have been clubbed and bitten by a taxi driver. That was fun. But I did get in a whale of a sucker punch… :slight_smile: )