Assaulted in Taipei

Lucky you. Else I would assume you wouldn’t be posting here. After a truck driver showed me his sledge hammer I try to refrain from showing the finger (actually it takes a lot before I do that) …

Sure thing, Mr. Uninformed. :loco: :smiley:

'nuff said.

'nuff said.[/quote]

Not quite sure what you’re getting at, but I think I know. Why don’t you enlighten me since you obviously know L.A., Chicago, or any other big city in America like the back of your hand?

I sense a really bad syllogism in the making here…

:raspberry:

I sense a really bad syllogism in the making here…

:raspberry:[/quote]

Richardm is a bit of a jokester, so don’t take him too seriously… :rainbow:

Some people call Richardm the space cowboy, yeah
Some call Richardm the gangster of love
Some people call Richardm Maurice
Cause he speaks of the pompitous of love

People talk about Richardm, baby
Say Richardm doin’ you wrong, doin’ you wrong
Well, don’t you worry baby
Don’t worry
Cause Richardm’s right there, right there, right there, right there at home

Cause Richardm’s a picker
He’s a grinner
He’s a lover
And He’s a sinner
He plays his music in the sun

Richardm’s a joker
He’s a smoker
He’s a midnight toker
He sure don’t want to hurt no one

Richardm’s a picker
He’s a grinner
He’s a lover
And He’s a sinner
He plays his music in the sun

Richardm’s a joker
He’s a smoker
He’s a midnight toker
He get his lovin’ on the run
Wooo Wooooo…

Hey, Mr. Magnificent you are on a roll…let me tell you… :notworthy:

[quote=“Hans Castorp”]
So I wonder if one of those shorty bats will fit in my scooter boot? I think that the next time an idiot jumps out of his car waving a baseball bat he’ll find me with mine. :smiling_imp: Or maybe a nine iron.[/quote]

shorty bats do indeed fit in the scooter boot.

diagonally.

200NT at BiTan.

gold annodized aluminum.

solid construction.

good for taking down snivelling tree huggers.

Somebody said that I was exercising bad judgement by kicking and throwing things at obnoxious drivers. That would be correct but I am not exercising any judgement at all. It happens so fast that I have done it before I have had a chance to think. If I thought about it I probably wouldn’t do it which would be a shame. People sometimes get this feeling of power when they drive a car and this frequently gets them acting like assholes. People like that need to be taken down a notch which is where the spitting comes in. If somebody is obviously using his car to push me around and he doesn’t look like he could push me around if he got out of his car I spit at him. I’ve only done this a couple of times and only when I was in a real foul mood to begin with. Not sorry I did it though. I hate cars.

cw.jc,
In some parts of the U.S., flipping someone off is considered provocation too and without a witness or a confession how can there be a prosecution?
SteveZeAuthor…I guess you never heard of road rage. There are plenty of documented cases of drivers shooting other drivers for things like cutting them off in traffic. I don’t think these problems are unique to Taiwan.
Bob, you are indeed lucky…very lucky.

I’d say you’ve been lucky so far.

When you kick or spit on the wrong guy’s car, let us know what hospital you’re staying at, if you’re able. I’ll bring you some beer, if you’re able to drink liquids orally.

Love and a morphine drip. Just the ticket.

No kidding? I really wasn’t aware of that. :unamused: Notice I said people like that are the minority. I don’t hold with Feiren making it sound like everyone is out to get you in the big cities. And besides, what makes it so much more likely to happen in a big city as opposed to anyhwere else? :loco:

Purely numbers I would say and more congestion. I think people who live in cities are generally under more stress.

[quote=“Grasshopper”]As I was driving home on Sunday morning some moron cut into the scooter only lane and forced me up onto the sidewalk. I flipped him off. He got out of his car and gave chase to me, he was holding a bat btw. I outran him on my scooter and he proceeded to follow me through Hsin Chuan. I lost him several times but he kept finding me. Now I was at an intersection and he finally caught me. He proceeded to tell me to that he was going to kill me, well that’s what I understood. I kept cool because he had a bat. He then struck me in the upper back. A cop showed up and did NOTHING!!! I got half of the guy’s plate number and the make and model of car. What can I do? The FAP were kinda hesistant to step in, and they said it would take some time to process the charges. I went to the hospital and got pictures and x-rays and filled out a report. Should I:

1. Go to the Canadian trade office and complain
  2. Go to FAP in Taipei
  3. leave well enough alone

I waited a few days after it happened to allow myself to calm down. I was pretty upset.[/quote]

At this point I’d do #1 and #2, however, my reaction in the actual situation would have been to take the bat away from him and (literally) shove it up his arse.

Bingo! :bravo:

Bingo! :bravo:[/quote]

I’m sure we all really want to see, “Foreigner jailed for assault” on the news…especially after Paul Clark.

[quote=“rooftop”]

I’ve flipped off maybe 4 people in four years here and three of them resulted in chases. So, yeah, no more flipping off in Taiwan may be the best policy.

Good luck![/quote]

I’ve flipped off…hmm…roughly 3000 people in Taiwan (really rough estimate). I’ve also broken off mirrors. Spit on people…and thrown cups full of bing-lang into occupied car windows (did that twice while telling them to not put their garbage on the street). I’ve been chased…maybe 6 times…had one guy break the windows on my car with a bat…had one car catch me…and he didn’t want to actually hit me so he just passed by…had one car chase me up onto the sidewalk trying to kill me…but instead he just ripped his under carriage out.

I don’t think that the average Taiwanese person is as aggressive as this topic makes them out to be…but there are a few out there. I rarely give anyone the finger nowadays…and when I do I almost always regret it…whether they chase or not.

The finger comes out for me once in a while, when really needed. I’m aware that giving the finger to the wrong car w/buddies is trouble, but sometimes it is deserved and needed.