Assistant for Taiwan Citizenship

Hi

would appreciate if anyone can recommend me an immigration lawyer based in Taipei or Taichung to assist me.

I am currently not holding any citizenship from any country since birth. My father who was Taiwan born during 民國 33 had left Taiwan around 9 years
old with my grandfather to other country. My father had since passed away, and on the day he died he never acquired any citizenship from any country.

Meaning to say, when i was born my father was still a Taiwanese.

just last week, I was going through my father’s old belonging. I was surprise to find an extract copy of my grandfather’s 戶籍登記簿dated 民國42年where my father’s name was included. This copy was extracted
from local registrar on 民國101年。

I beg to ask anyone who can help me or assist me in finding a local immigration lawyer.

Thank you

[quote=“hanben”]Hi

would appreciate if anyone can recommend me an immigration lawyer based in Taipei or Taichung to assist me.

I am currently not holding any citizenship from any country since birth. My father who was Taiwan born during 民國 33 had left Taiwan around 9 years
old with my grandfather to other country. My father had since passed away, and on the day he died he never acquired any citizenship from any country.

Meaning to say, when I was born my father was still a Taiwanese.

just last week, I was going through my father’s old belonging. I was surprise to find an extract copy of my grandfather’s 戶籍登記簿dated 民國42年where my father’s name was included. This copy was extracted
from local registrar on 民國101年。

I beg to ask anyone who can help me or assist me in finding a local immigration lawyer.

Thank you[/quote]

You’re saying your a stateless person is that right? But you’re basically Taiwanese-born and de facto Taiwanese. If you have the household registration documents and can get hold of your birth certificate surely you just need to apply to the local authorities. Did you school here?

That’s what I would have thought.

OP: I doubt you need an immigration lawyer because you’re not an immigrant. I suggest simply taking all the documents in your possession (including the new one you found) to the household registration office and asking their advice. They MIGHT tell you to go find a lawyer, or they might just have a form for you to fill in.

Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply.

yes, I am a stateless person.

I have the the household registration document, but it belongs to my father. At time of his registration, he was only 9 years old.

I was not born in Taiwan, hence i do not have Taiwan birth-certificate. I was born in a foreign country, and my birth certificate states that my father’s name, but it is in English but the household registration document are all in Chinese.

No, I didnt go to school in Taiwan and currently not in taiwan either.

Thank You

[quote=“hanben”]Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply.

yes, I am a stateless person.

I have the the household registration document, but it belongs to my father. At time of his registration, he was only 9 years old.

I was not born in Taiwan, hence I do not have Taiwan birth-certificate. I was born in a foreign country, and my birth certificate states that my father’s name, but it is in English but the household registration document are all in Chinese.

No, I didnt go to school in Taiwan and currently not in taiwan either.

Thank You[/quote]

Do you have any other document that attests to your father’s identity? Ideally, his passport would have both his Chinese name and the transliteration of his name that is on your birth certificate. That would be the best way to prove your relationship to your father and start the process of obtaining citizenship of Taiwan.

Good luck. I hope you’re able to sort something out here.

fortunately, when my father first arrived. he was issued a ‘resident visa’ by local government which was issued in the 50’s.

The ‘resident visa’ state my father’s name both in Chinese and in English, and the name of my father in English matched the one on my birth certificate.

Since the ‘resident visa’ is issued by a foreign country, i doubt the usefulness.

Thanks

[quote=“hanben”]fortunately, when my father first arrived. he was issued a ‘resident visa’ by local government which was issued in the 50’s.

The ‘resident visa’ state my father’s name both in Chinese and in English, and the name of my father in English matched the one on my birth certificate.

Since the ‘resident visa’ is issued by a foreign country, I doubt the usefulness.

Thanks[/quote]

If you can get it (actually a notarized copy of it so you can keep the original) authenticated/attested to by the embassy/Taiwan trade office in your current country of residence, the fact that it’s from a foreign country won’t matter.

What country are you in? Can you get yourself to the Trade Office there and start making enquiries? There must be some way for you to start the ball rolling from where you are (in terms of knowing what documents to assemble, getting them attested to and so on).

Do as much as you can without a lawyer because you’ll find they’re expensive and little better than doing it yourself a great deal of the time.

I honestly don’t know how to obtain ROC citizenship so I’m just going by experience of other country’s citizenship processes. For my son to claim British citizenship from me he would need to prove his relationship to me and have the relevant documents authenticated and delivered to the appropriate authorities. You seem to already have the appropriate documents (birth certificate naming your father, father’s household registration documents proving his nationality, resident visa attesting to your father’s name in English and in Chinese), it’s just a matter of figuring out who needs to authenticate what and finding out who you need to submit these documents to.

Again, good luck. I hope it works out! Being stateless must be awful.

thanks

Yes, being stateless is really awful. Imagine travelling with a document that states you are a stateless, at any entry point the immigration will pull me aside and ask me dozens of questions.

30 minutes interview on each entry to any country is consider normal, sometimes they put me on the next plane back even i show returned tickets, visa, hotel accommodation and more than enough funds for my stay.

Enough said, I really hope that my father’s household registration document is our ticket home to where we really belong.

Yes, there is a Trade Office here, i will try to speak to them, but the people working in Taiwan Trade Office’s staff are ignorant,arrogant and down right rude.

I will give it a shot anyway, but i still hoping to find a lawyer in Taiwan to sort this out for me as I don’t stay in Taiwan

Thanks