Asylum

This was my understanding too.

2 Likes

I dont want to be an activist :joy::joy: im a chicken, I know, but being an activist involve loosing my family and my friends, and I donā€™t have the courage for this, it will hurt all the people that I know, so yea I admit that asking this question and creating this topic was a stupid idea, but I just needed to know

2 Likes

Islam eh.

They literally donā€™t want you to live without it . :neutral_face:

Religion of fear. Religion of death ?

Iā€™m Catholic and I figured out it was all rubbish by age 13. Fortunately the worst I had to deal with was some punishment in school and my mother praying for my redemption.

Anyway jiayou you are not alone.

3 Likes

Thank you my friend :hugs:

1 Like

I believe there are many like you. Being a Muslim is a legal identity in many Islamic countries, and itā€™s impossible to change legally. Especially tricky if youā€™re a non believer in your own personal life and you wish to marry another person who is not of Islamic faith, they much also legally convert on paper at least.

I wish you the best of luck, I will pray for your future and safety. Although in morocco itā€™s seems apostasy is not longer punishable by death legally. I understand the dangers of it with many who still believe such a punishment is just. And the toll it will take on a persons family and personal life.

Perhaps you wonā€™t be an activist. But I do believe living freely will inspire others who also want a new life away from Islam.

1 Like

I donā€™t want to discourage you from doing what you want but simply being of a certain nationality would not make you eligible for asylum status. Not to mention Morocco is pretty stable for an African country. You need to be persecuted based on one of the Convention grounds. And this is the case for potential host countries that have asylum laws, which Taiwan doesnā€™t (yet).

And France, Belgium, or Canada sound like your best bet, though asylum still isnā€™t a realistic approach. I mean you can try, but you need a lawyer and all that jazz. Iā€™m not an expert in refugee law by any means but like you said, you never manifested your (religious) infidelity so the persecution requirement sounds vulnerable to me.

1 Like

yes I perfectly understand, thank you for the informations.

thank you so much my friend, it means a lot to me. I hope that muslim countries will change someday, my atheist friends suffer a lot in morocco, you should always hide to do whatever you want, and you should always interrupt your self and keep quiet to not expose yourself to violent religious people, not the perfect lifeā€¦

1 Like

Stay strong.

I understand how hard it is. My friend is Iranian. He was part of the opposition after the revolution. And left and has not gone back because of this. His legal documents say he is legally a Muslim but he is an atheist in real life. Even now in Malaysia, and many other Muslims countries, he can not marry another non Muslim without the woman also legally converting to Islam. And their children would also legally be Muslim. He also has trouble going to other countries because he is an Iranian citizen.

Like others said, you can find ways to live in Taiwan or another place without seeking asylum.

Good luck.

1 Like

@leslie1 you may find this interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9rYRq7sLL0

2 Likes

@leslie1

I agree with everyone here. Itā€™s better to get qualified and find work in Taiwan. Another option is marriage-based residence or citizenship, only if it happens for the right reasons, of course.

I think chances of getting Asylum in Taiwan are extremely slim to none. Elsewhere too, itā€™s tough (at least on the basis of being a closeted Atheist).

I know because I done some research on this.

I have a similar situation as you but where I come from apostasy IS punishable by death and this is enforced by the government law (at least on paper). Unfortunately, the government almost never gets the opportunity to carry out these deaths because such cases absolutely never go to trial. Once outed (or even wrongfully accused of being an Atheist), you will very likely be beaten to death and ā€œliterallyā€ ripped to shreds by a mob of hundreds or even thousands of people in public, and possibly with your extended family as willing participants. I donā€™t want to link those horrific videos here, but trust me there are quite a few (they record them these days - everyone has phones).

So despite being from a country where it is definitely a death sentence, I still donā€™t think I could get asylum (but you are welcome to try). I gave up on this long ago and have worked hard for the past decade with the sole purpose of obtaining citizenship of any country where I could live safely and peacefully. I am not there yet, but I am very close to achieving that goal.

In that sense Taiwan might be even safer than some European countries, perhaps even US. Thatā€™s primarily due to the very large local Muslim communities everywhere in US & Europe. One thing I know from other cases is that you are not safe even if become a US or UK/European citizen . You might still have to remain closeted. Because if you become an open atheist while belonging to a strict muslim family (who is also located there) and if you were previously part of the local muslim community (or pretending to be), or you try to hang out with local muslims again and they discover you are convert - then there will still be repercussions. They could have you killed even in a foreign country, or they could have someone waiting for you next time you go back to your country of origin, to visit your family.

Sorry I donā€™t mean to scare you but I have spent a great deal of time on this subject and some of the scenarios I have described have actually happened to people. My suggestion is keep your atheism to yourself (only express yourself when in a safe group) and find alternative ways to gain citizenship or work in Taiwan (or other countries).

Good Luck !

2 Likes

@Fuzzy_Barbecue Thank you for your reply, I found work so Im fine.
In morocco too there was a lot of people getting beaten for eating in ramadan in public or being gay, its not even the law, its people and you can also find a lot of videos about that, and yes Taiwan is much safer because there is no extremists here. I wish you good luck too.

1 Like

Thank you dear.

2 Likes

Wish you the best here

1 Like

I would call that more fortunate than unfortunate. :2cents:

Iā€™m not sure if you meant that to sound the way it does.

1. Of course there are fewer Muslims in Taiwan than in any medium-to-large Islamic country. There are, however, many Muslims in Taiwan ā€“ roughly a quarter million if you include foreigners.

2. Sweeping generalizations along the lines of ā€œMuslims are dangerousā€ are against our rules.

This is the Legal forum, and we can have a discussion of whether or not a situation exists that could have legal implications in Taiwan, such as whether or not the authorities in Morocco turn a blind eye to mob violence against atheists etc. If you want to talk about Islam in general or list your personal grievances against Muslims, Religion & Spirituality is the place to do that (respectfully of course).

Thank you for your co-operation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Of course I didnt mean it, I edited to ā€œextremistsā€, Iā€™m surrounded by amazing muslim people, my family my friends so I can never say that about them, I was in a rush and I didnt take time to choose my words. Thank you .

1 Like

Sorry, I wasnā€™t clear in my expression. I meant to say ā€˜unfortunateā€™ in the sense that normally the government is supposed to take you to trial and have it proven beyond doubt that you are an atheist and if proven, they are required to put you in Jail for a certain period of time before hanging you to death (in a legal way administered by a licensed hang-man), which is also very cruel and unfair but compared to death by mob, itā€™s a better way to go (especially for those who are wrongly accused of Atheism).

3 Likes

Where is that, some enlightened place like Pakistan or Saudi Arabia ? :grin:

The Saudis chop people up on the street, sick bastards.

Well actually they chop people up in their embassies too, letā€™s be clear.

1 Like

Where is that, some enlightened place like Pakistan or Saudi Arabia ? :grin:

The Saudis chop people up on the street, sick bastards.

Well actually they chop people up in their embassies too, letā€™s be clear.

Yes, thatā€™s the point I was trying to make. Even if some laws do exist (to protect wrongly accused Atheists/Blasphemers, they arenā€™t practiced. 99% of the time itā€™s handled on the streets by bloodthirsty mobs before things go to trial (but this is a more common occurrence in Pakistan rather than Saudi Arabia).

In Saudi Arabia death in public by beheading is the legal way of executing a death penalty while in Pakistan hanging is the only legal method of execution (so anything in public should be illegal, but police never steps in when it comes to accused Atheists).

Above is one of the worst cases of death by mob that was highly publicized recently.

Meanwhile, at Taoyuan International Airport:

Guy

2 Likes