Asylum

hello, i wanted to ask you, is there any law for asylum in Taiwan? I mean if you dont want to come back to your muslim country, because of the restrictions, and the lack of freedome for non muslim girls, how to start and where can I get informations in Taiwan ? Thank you

1 Like

there is a draft of a law on refugee, but it has not been passed yet.

An related law is
Act to Implement the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights

2 Likes

Welcome, and I wish you to successfully find asylum in case you need it.

What country are you from, and what group do you belong to that is being restricted in freedom? Or what other reasons would you give for asking for asylum?

With that information it might be interesting to check if acceptance in countries granting asylum already would be likely. Maybe this could help as a reality check, telling you if asylum would be a likely or unlikely way to improve your life situation.

1 Like

I’m from morocco, and I know only 2 guys who asked for asylum in suitzerland and uk because they were atheist and activists, so their lives were in a real danger, because in morocco you cannot say that you are atheist, since its illegal, but in my case I never told anyone, so I was pretending to do ramadan and to believe in god because I didnt want to be in trouble with my family and with the law. What do you think ? and thank you for you concern. :blush:

1 Like

As an atheist, and knowing some moroccans, I sympathize with you.

As far as I can tell from googling a bit, at least in my home Country (Germany) moroccans can not generally claim asylum based solely on being atheist. That means each application would be checked individually, and you would need to prove that you are individually prosecuted.

As far as I understand being atheist is not illegal per se in Morocco, and also the religious fatwa calling for death for atheists was cancelled a few years ago.

Activism (trying to influence others to break away from Islam) is punishable, though.

Still, atheists seem to face lots of troubles and prosecution on a social level. So being “secretly” atheist, like you describe, seems to be the only option to live a normal life. It’s maybe not “official” enough to generally claim asylum, though, although individual circumstances might allow.

I guess I would not count on getting asylum in Taiwan even after the law is approved.

Do you currently live in Taiwan? What languages do you speak? Can you support yourself?

In many cases emigration (not asylum) to french speaking Canada seems one of the options french speaking atheists from Morocco choose. You might try. One link I saw to a law firm specializing in this topic:

http://www.barrou.com/en/our-firm/

3 Likes

Try Europe.

2 Likes

yea currently living in Taiwan, and studying, and I love Taiwan, its very safe and secure for people who are looking for the peace of mind, but a little difficult for work especially for people who are from 3rd world countries, Im trying to do some tutoring on tuttoro and I hope that it will help me. thank you for your answer.

Maybe being in Taiwan at least helps you a bit, by being able to check with the “embassies” that many countries have here.

Of course, trying to find work here in Taiwan in the field you study, then after 5 years get an APRC, could also solve your problem. Any chance for that?

What languages do you speak well?

1 Like

Forget about Taiwan and asylum, they take almost nobody.

Try Europe or Canada if going that route. You’d need to start your public activism now to prove you are in danger.

Or juSt get better qualified and emigrate somewhere with better human rights and prospects.

3 Likes

french, english, and arabic, but my chinese still basic.

Get a degree or qualification in demand worldwide you don’t need to become a refugee and being a refugee is a pain in the arse anyway.
One example is nursing.

3 Likes

i agree to this. To get a work in Taiwan must be much easier than to get an asylum status, even if you come from a “3rd world” countries.

1 Like

Actually Taiwan takes even less refugees than Korea… it takes in probably a few people a year ! Even Chinese democracy activists have a hard time getting asylum in Taiwan.

3 Likes

thank you but I’m not interested in being a public figure, I dont want to expose myself, I hope that my situation will be better without this, and I also want to stay in Taiwan, I just wanted to know if its possible here, but since Its not, I will just forget about that and figure out something else. thank you again

1 Like

You might be interested in government scholarship for foreign students to get a degree from taiwanese university.

https://taiwanscholarship.moe.gov.tw/web/scholarship.aspx

2 Likes

ok I will google it to see what I can find ^^謝謝

There was quite a lot of Tibetan refugees here about 20 years ago

1 Like

That’s incredibly messed up. We should be helping those people.

But I think Korea actually takes in quite a few refugees if you count the ones from NK?

1 Like

@leslie1, do you know @mireille ?
2 gals from Morocco.
a small world indeed. Welcome to you both

3 Likes

No, But I already met some moroccans here, like 7 may be, they’re few tho