At last! Some REAL science

Keeping my headlight on makes me go faster and operate with greater fuel efficiency.
The light beam splits the air molecules lowering my friction/drag. I am more aerodynamically efficient slicing thru the atmosphere at this elevation.
Byy lowering drag & increasing my speed/fuel use co-efficient I effecting a significant fuel saving while increasing speed.

Also its less wear on the outer surfaces of my 'scooter which will lengthen its operational life.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Keeping my headlight on makes me go faster and operate with greater fuel efficiency.
The light beam splits the air molecules lowering my friction/drag. I am more aerodynamically efficient slicing through the atmosphere at this elevation.[/quote]

Not to mention the heat created by the incandescent bulb raising the air temperature in the area immediately juxtaposed to the lamp surface, thus reducing the number of molecules in the air in the first place. Or is this what you meant? I teach a doctorate-level class in this very subject at the Institiute of Stating the Blindingly Obvious.

[quote=“Lord Lucan”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Keeping my headlight on makes me go faster and operate with greater fuel efficiency.
The light beam splits the air molecules lowering my friction/drag. I am more aerodynamically efficient slicing through the atmosphere at this elevation.[/quote]Not to mention the heat created by the incandescent bulb raising the air temperature in the area immediately juxtaposed to the lamp surface, thus reducing the number of molecules in the air in the first place. Or is this what you meant? I teach a doctorate-level class in this very subject at the Institiute of Stating the Blindingly Obvious.[/quote]In my guest lecture series, availble by subscription website, DVD, VCD or in person(submit request by email), I am currently reccomending a switch from incandescent lighting to halogen bulbs. The increased spectral temperature achieved, closer to actual daylight, does allow for the molecular reducing phenomena you suggest.
This application, along with many other high-speed, low-drag techniques are covered in my lecture series.
I also discuss the relatively new “finned helmets” and the wearing of bicycle helmets as aerodynamic and weight reduction assists. I also discount the common use of the ‘plastic contruction site head-gear’ and ‘wearing your helmet backwards’ as speed enhancement/fuel saving equiptment for the motorscooter rider seeking the ultimate in technological advantage.

I cannot permit the words of genii such as your good selves to be buried amongst the products of feebler minds. Welcome to your own thread.

You forgot about leaving the helmet straps undone, which as everyone knows, provides a “flapping” effect, thus reducing not only drag, but the mass/volume ratio of the bike & rider(s), hence lightening the weight, and increasing both fuel efficiency, AND speed.

I drive on the moon, there is no air resistance, and also less friction on the ground because of the lower gracity.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]I drive on the moon, there is no air resistance, and also less friction on the ground because of the lower gracity.[/quote]I can’t make head or tail of what you scientific boffins are talking about, but would you please humour an ignoramus and attempt a layman’s definition of “gracity”?

It’s a type of gravity, notice how the “C” key is next to the “V” key. Unless you have a wacky european keyboard.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]It’s a type of gravity, notice how the “C” key is next to the “V” key. Unless you have a wacky European keyboard.[/quote]I popped all the keys off my keyboard and clicked them back on in wacky “Dvorak” configuration. So now the “c” key is between the “g” and “r” keys.

It confuses people who try to use my computer! Ha ha!

Trouble is, I never bothered to learn to type with Dvorak. So it confuses me too. :frowning: (Alright for regular touch typing but not so great for finding _-+=|{[}]"’ and the like).

At the risk of breaking your quarantine from reality, I’ve found those “peaked” scooter helmets are actually unwearable frontwards at any speed. The wind gets under the peak and lifts them, garroting you with the strap. I had to wear one backwards to get a hire scooter home. I wouldn’t wear one again from choice, but if I had to, I’d wear it backwards.

I guess it also matches the usual arrangement for the jackets

[quote=“irishstu”]You forgot about leaving the helmet straps undone, which as everyone knows, provides a “flapping” effect, thus reducing not only drag, but the mass/volume ratio of the bike & rider(s), hence lightening the weight, and increasing both fuel efficiency, AND speed.[/quote]Research into this by my esteemed colleagues has shown that the benficial effects obtained from this, oh so aptly named, “flapping effect,” is a result of sympathetic vibrational harmony.
As one knows, everything has a specific vibration.The 'scooter helmet strap “flapping effect” hones in on a specific vibrational frequency and produces a ‘sympathetic vibrational rate’ which not only reduces the ‘apparent’ mass of the 'scooter, driver and wind resistance, but also increases fuel combustion efficiency.

Its all science…just good simple science.

There is a whole lot of sudo science being said here.

Let me take it back to Newtons laws - for every force there is an equal and opposite force. Light shooting forward from your headlight means your scoot is being forced backwards to compensate. It ain’t pretty when it comes to energy efficiency.

[quote=“ac”]There is a whole lot of sudo science being said here. [/quote]Perhaps you are referring to the Ancient Nipponese Sumo Science.
This is the science of thin straps inserted between the buttocks of very large men which greatly increases their irritability factor. Similiar to the use of “bucking straps” in rodeo performances.[quote=“ac”]Let me take it back to Newtons laws - for every force there is an equal and opposite force. Light shooting forward from your headlight means your scoot is being forced backwards to compensate. It ain’t pretty when it comes to energy efficiency.[/quote]
Newton was held in very high esteem by the scientific community of his day.
His later ventures into the cookie realm, in the opinion of many of his later advocates, may have surpassed his scientific accomplishments.

[quote=“ac”]Let me take it back to Newtons laws - for every force there is an equal and opposite force. Light shooting forward from your headlight means your scoot is being forced backwards to compensate. It ain’t pretty when it comes to energy efficiency.[/quote]Photons have no mass, hence no momentum to be conserved by Newton’s 3rd law.

Creating the light require electrisety generated by the engine witch use fuel to make the electrisety.
Using head lights would increase the fuel consumption.

[quote=“Stian”]Creating the light require electrisety generated by the engine witch use fuel to make the electrisety.
Using head lights would increase the fuel consumption.[/quote]

That’s nonsense. Using headlights actually increases the fuel economy because the lights are part of the electrical system, not the fuel system. Also, since the light from the headlights illuminates the road ahead, the vehicle will additionally enjoy an added degree of traction. If you can’t detect the improvement with lights on, you might need to get the light cleaned at a repair shop.

Sorry if I seem to be disrespecting you claims, but I beg to differ. One only has to rest one’s forehead on a cold slab and add a 5 kilo weight to the back of the neck when sleeping, for about 6 months depending on the density of one’s bone calcium. After this time the forehead will be noticeably flatter, thus providing a flat surface for a nailed picture hook or 3M removable sticker hook(don’t attempt if you are a heavy sweater). Affixed upside down the picture hook will easily hold one’s helmet in the correct frontward direction, as it should be at all times for obvious safety reasons. There is no excuse for not wearing a helmet in the proper fashion.

Science is our friend.

I don’t get the part about wacky European keyboards, we use qwertyuiop in the UK but of course we have a pound sign £ and our quotes(") are on the 2 key where Yanks have an @. I have reconfigured my Yankee style laptop so that this works even though the keys have the wrong signs on them. the only problem is that I seem to have lost the opposite slash to this one /

TainanCowboy, I’m wondering if you could share your expert opinion on why people wear their raincoats back to front here.

I have been doing some scientific investigations on the subject, but I would like to hear what an expert has to say before I make a fool of myself.