Atkins, restaurants, proteine and fish in Taiwan

Hi …
I have some really good experience with the Atkins kind of eating way from when I trained for my marathon in the beginning of 2006… At that time I wanted to loose a couple of kilo really fast before I started my hard training…

I avoided everything with to many carbonhydrates in, patatoes, rice, pasta, spagetti, white bread, orange juice, raisins, lasagnepasta etc etc…
And then I only ate a lot of meat, mostly turkey and chicken meat… and vegetables, a lot of vegetables… and fish… a lot of tuna fish… added with some quality protein poweder…
in Denmark where i come from, it is easy to avoid carbonhydrates, because I know what to buy there… but I am having some problems doing it here…
first of all, I would really like to try all the fish and vegetables here, because I can buy it really really fresh everywhere, but my problem is, that I have no idea on how to cook and prepare it…

I have started to not eating the rice you always get served at restaurants and only eat vegetables and meat… but both is all the time made in a lot of oil, or deep fat, and that I dont think is very healthy…

yes, what am I asking … :help:

1. a website, a book or something else where I can get to learn how to prepare different Taiwan vegetables and fresh fish (would really like to point at my own fish in the tank and get it in a bag after)(and try and smash my own crab with a hammer :help: :laughing: )…

2. good ideas on what to do on restaurants, to make it more healthy, ex. avoid deep fat, oil etc…
    maybe what to order instead of the always fried rice with chicken, beef, pork or seafood…

3. where to buy quality proteine powder in bigger portions than 200 g…

4. and would really love to eat brown bread… hard brown bread… so I need rye flour… where can I buy that?
    and on that bread should be some cold cut ham… anyone have experience with the cold cut stuff?

best regards
Brian :loco:

Many vegetarian restaurants and canteens offer a choice of whole-grain rice (more nutritious and slow-release carbohydrate - keeps your blood sugar more stable) and salads. Of course they don’t have the fish and meat you are looking for. If you live or work near NTNU/Shi-Da, try Grace’s - it’s an omnivore canteen that offers a big variety of healthy food at a reasonable price.

There is at least one existing thread on Forumosa about good bread and good bakeries. Try a search for the key words.

For local cooking ideas I suggest you do advertise for a language exchange where you offer English conversation in exchange for cooking lessons! Taiwan has quite a lot of different leafy vegetables that need a very short cooking time - quick steaming or braising. Add a sprinkle of sesame oil or lightly-fried chopped garlic and you can’t go far wrong. Try yams (digua) in place of potatoes. They cook faster than spuds.