ATM transfer $ acct number

Hello in tw you can send or receive money using ATM…all I need to give out is the account number and bank number? is there any danger if I give out account number and bank number? I have bank ATM and post office ATM…send or receive money they work the same way? thnaks

transfer all your money to 23-3453434-5556-3 and I’ll handle it.

Yes, there IS danger in giving out your ATM number and bank account number.

To whom? Why?

Truant! You kill me! :laughing:

Although ajklin’s caution is wise, I think the key is that your card number and your account number are different, and what a thief needs to steal your money is card number and PIN, not your account number. (Anyone out there who understands this better and can correct me, pls do!!!)

They can copy your card by recording its number illegally in a replaced swiper, or just mug you at an ATM and steal the card, or pick it up if you lose it, but either way they need your PIN to use it.

It is the card number and password which enable withdrawals and transfers out of your account, so you don’t give these out. But your account number (not printed on your ATM card; is on your statement, or available from your bank) doesn’t give anyone control over your account; this plus the bank number are the necessary info to give to someone so they can transfer money into your account. So, to buy a super :sunglasses: Taiwan Ho! t-shirt, I’d ask them for their bank number and account number, go to my ATM, insert my card and password, and type in their bank and account number and transfer amount. Since giving out only the bank name or number and account (not card!) number doesn’t give control over your account, it should be safe when dealing with folks you trust like your boss, who needs the number so as to be able to wire you your salary, or anyone else you know who has a legitimate need to give you money.

But there is a MASSIVE amount of fraud out there (I’ve been hit three times in three months!) with folks asking for your number so they can “transfer money” to your account.

In one version of the fraud, you are contacted by phone or email, usually by someone posing as your (or another) bank, the tax authorities, or even the post office claiming to be acting on behalf of one of these. They offer you something like a tax refund, raffle winnings, a refund of some kind, etc., and tell you they just need your number from your ATM card, and then they claim they need your PIN to “verify” your identity. Of course, this is bullshit. NO bank or legitimate figure ever asks for your PIN, or, online, your password. You NEVER give your password, not even to a bank clerk at the counter. They will ask other details like your DOB, address, etc., but not your password.

In one version, I got a computerized phone call from Taipei Comm’l Bank, saying my account balance had reached zero, at which point I hung up. I don’t have an account there, but I knew it was a fraud. They would have probably then said that my automatic bills payment had stopped, and that I needed to wire money into my account at X number to restart it. Or that I needed to give them my ATM number and PIN for some reason.

In another, I received a very professional sounding call from the ‘post office’, saying I had failed to pick up a registered letter from the "tax bureau’ containing a tax refund. They gave me a cell phone number to call. Curious, I called it, and this person claimed to be at the tax bureau, needing the number off my ATM card so they could wire me the refund, and saying the deadline was the end of the day. Like, blow me :unamused: , how stupid do I look? :homer: Wait, don’t answer that. :laughing:

So, for safety:

1. NEVER give out the number printed on your card. It is different from the bank # and acct #, which you can give to people who you know have a legitimate need to wire you money, like your boss, or someone buying something from you. But don’t give even these out to anyone who contacts you on the phone or online at random, just to be safe.

2. NEVER NEVER :taz: NEVER NEVER NEVER (enough?) ever give your PIN, not even to live bank employees. If your wallet is lost or stolen you may receive a call from ‘your bank’ saying your card has been reported stolen or something ridiculous like that, and asking if you want to “deactivate” it. For which purpose, of course, they’ll ask for your PIN to “verify” your identity. Hang up, call your bank yourself, and report your card stolen (which you should have done already upon realizing your card and/or wallet were gone). In another version, ‘your bank’ may call advising you to change your PIN, asking for your old then a desired new one. Or they may even send you a fake new card, with instructions by mail, email or phone on changing your PIN, and the method requires giving them your old PIN, in which case you’re suddenly a lot poorer.

Remember, conmen are likely to pose as bank officials, even as bank security guards, and may offer assistance. Although such assistance may be genuine, especially in daylight during business hours, even then real bank personnel will not ask to handle your card; they will not ask for your PIN; and they will not observe your PIN input. Today I had trouble at a Huanan bank, and the guard inside the lobby offered to help. When the ATM asked for my PIN, he actually turned his back while I entered it. I would have covered it with the other hand anyway.

Here’s another verified attempt. The ‘bank’ sends you this: “‘the security of your personal account information is extremely important to us…Our new security system will help you to avoid frequently fraud transactions and keeping your investments safely…Due to technical update we recommend you to reactivate your account. To reactivate your account please fill the form in the right’” which of course asks for your card and PIN, :doh: Here’s an example:

antiphishing.org/phishing_ar … ity_update.html

An email may direct you via a link to a very professional-looking webpage that looks exactly like the real one, but asks you to input the account number and PIN. Could be VISA, a bank, even eBay. Don’t be had.
If you get any request like this, do not follow their link. Go separately to the correct page using your favorites, bookmarks, or contacting them to get their web address. If there really is any action needed on your part, you’ll be notified when you log in; and they still won’t ask for this kind of info.

1. Use common sense when using ATM’s, as muggers don’t need your PIN number to snatch cash from your hand at an ATM. If there is anyone hanging around too nearby, keep an eye on them, or head to the next ATM; it’s not worth the risk. If it feels wrong, don’t use the ATM. If there is an unusually large or protruding device where the card slot should be, don’t use it. It should be a clean, small slot in the machine’s flat stainless steel face. If the screen looks funny, blank, etc., don’t use it. Someone may have tampered with the machine.

2. Don’t use stand-alone ATMs which look like they could have been delivered on a hand dolly or forklift. There are plenty of in-wall ATMs at banks everywhere. (In one scam, the crooks install an entire ATM, which is fake. It records your card number and the PIN you enter. They then make a fake card, go to any ATM, and take your money. This has occurred in Taiwan.)

3. Don’t use a door-swiper to enter a lobby. Pick another ATM. (In another Taiwan scam, the crooks removed the swiper on an outer lobby door leading to the ATMs, which is a system originally installed for added security for the users, so not just anyone can approach you from behind. The crooks put their own swiper in its place to record card numbers, and added a hidden camera to record PIN entries being typed in. Then same as above, fake card made, money stolen. Now, at the request of the MOF, those outer-door swipers have been removed to prevent this. Oh, and magnetic stripes have been replaced with IC chips with multiple encryption for further protection.

4. Cover your PIN entry with a purse or hand so a hidden camera can’t see the numbers entered; the camera can see the card number, too, if its resolution is good.

5. Don’t write your PIN down in your wallet or on your card. Memorize it. If you have to write it down somewhere, do so elsewhere in a codified form, e.g., in reverse in the middle of other numbers which only you would understand; and not with “PIN” next to it.

6. Don’t let anyone meet you at an ATM to transfer money into your account. Your presence at the ATM isn’t necessary for such a transfer, and is a clear indication of fraud, since your inserting your card and PIN will merely enable the fraudster to have you wire your money to their account.

7. If the ATM swallows your card, and a stranger approaches offering assistance, politely decline, and if they won’t leave, call the police. DON’T give them your PIN or let them see you enter it. Don’t even enter it in their presence. Have a look at the card entry slot. The reason is that some fraudsters install devices attached to the card entry slot which only allow the card to be inserted, but which block its ejection. They then offer to help, telling you you have to re-input your PIN first (which they are there to observe). When this fails, they give up, pretend to leave, wait for you to leave, return to detach their device and get your card, which had been ejected but blocked by their device. They they transfer all your money to their account or withdraw cash.

8. A legitimate retailer or delivery person will never ask you to swipe your ATM card through a reader to pay for your purchase or COD (cash on delivery) shipment.

More info:
thebanker.com/news/fullstory … e_ATM.html

mymoney.iafrica.com/scamwatch/106525.htm

elitelaw.com/09SearchNewslet … 041012.pdf

hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBScams.shtml

antiphishing.org/

Oh, or you could just wire all your money to my account and I’ll make sure it’s safe… :laughing:

wow thanks

i appreciate the time you’ve put into this post, but you may want to rethink point nine:

put the swallowed card in your pocket?

[quote=“xtrain_01”]
put the swallowed card in your pocket?[/quote]

:laughing: :bravo:

Fixed, tks!

I still can’t believe you typed 4 pages lol…wish everyone can reply that detail in my every question lol

This fraud stuff is really rampant, so I thought I should share info in some detail. I’d hate to see y’all get burned.

Besides, I have to try to make a real contribution occasionally to make up for the silliness of some of my other posts. :wink:

I have some more information

Basically, Dragonbones is correct.
But a slight different from what I learn during the 3 years working in a local bank.

most of the bank in taiwan, they put your account number on your atm card
it’s a little bit different from you guys’s experience in US or other countries.
still, keep your PIN in secret is the only and the best way to save your money
don’t try to use any personl number as your PIN numver, ex: birthday, phone number… or “0000” , " 9999" , some numbers like that

most of the local bank will restict their forigen customer’s atm card function
you can withdraw or transfer money freely in Taiwan, but you can’t use it outside taiwan…
if you are going to leave taiwan for a while, don’t forget to withdraw some momey in advance… :stuck_out_tongue:

I am DHW :slight_smile:

DHW ? :smiley:
what is that mean ?
J. H, W are the first vocabulary of my Chinese name, are you ?