Attached to my apartment

I’ve got an apartment that I’m quite attached to. It’s a rooftop so I’ve got my punching bag, plants, bbq’s all set up, but the place is quite small. It’s old, there’s no elevator, the aircons are ancient, the bathtub has been patched, it’s NT$15 000 for 2 bedrooms, etc. etc.

Now my current roommate is moving out (to a cheaper place) and I’m considering getting a new one, but am worried that ppl will think that the place is too expensive. I don’t really want to move out of the Shida area or pay that amount myself.
Should I get rid of an apartment that’s obviously a dud (I have 4 months to decide) or hang on to my baby and all my happy Taipei memories?
I regularly read the housing ads but have never really been inside another apartment so that I can compare it to mine…

I think you answered your own question with all the negative aspects of your apartment. I think it is healthy to make a change every few years.

Why not just start looking around. Go see a few places and see what you can get for your money. It’ll also give you a better idea of how much your current place is really worth.

I care! That’s gross! :wink:

Yep, I’m used to wandering around semi-naked too, especially in summer. With my current roommate that’s not a problem, so I’m not looking forward to changing my ways.
My place is only 18 pings, perfect for me, me and just me…but unfortunately my wallet disagrees…
Maybe it’s time for me and pets to cross that bridge.

So it’s you guys I saw on that “Foreign Nudists Caught in the Raw” video expose last week!

Chong He b[/b] may be cheap, but I went there once and found the place repulsive. That decision depends on how much you make, how much you want to save, how much you value your living location, etc. In any event, so long as you can either read Chinese or have a friend who will assist you, you can definitely find another place just as good as your present place by looking at red signs. While the move is a hassle, I agree taht it’s good to change locations periodically.

Ok, perhaps not repulsive, but it lacks the charm of, say, San Chong.

As a native (though I’ve left Taiwan 15 years ago), the following are the worst areas by ranking (I’m using Pin-yin) based on my experience:

1. Sanchong.
  2. Banqiao.
  3. Yonghe-Zhonghe
  4. Liuzhangli (on MRT between the zoo and Sogo).

During my visit to Taiwan last years, I stopped by Zhonghe once, having lived in Minnesota for 10 years I can’t imagine how a human being can live here. High-rise apt all over with elevated highway next to the windows, pollution, traffic jams out of control with no parking space on site. With 2nd freeway going through the area, try to go through during the rush hours, I saw traffic on the freeway backed up all the way into the tunnel(s).

In general, the west (either Taipei Municipalities and County) is the worst on both sides of river, closely followed by the Southwest (ie: Banqiao, Yonghe, Zhonghe).

With MRT and rail connected together, living outside Taipei is an option. There’re many areas (both north and south of Taipei within 30 min train ride) with clean air and cheap rents. If anyone has read Mike’s website

users2.ev1.net/~turton/teach_index.html

HOwever, I saw some luxury apts in Tamshui and Zhuwei overlooking the river and I suppose they’re not cheap. If I ever end up working in Taipei, I’d commute between Taipei and Shuangxi/Gongliao (on Taipei-Ilan rail line).

Ditto on that. That’s a really beautiful little valley, close to the beach, the mountains… still just a little too far for a comfortable commute, though. I was on the point of renting a traditional three-wing house up there as a weekender at one point, but it let in the rain, so I passed. Rent was only NT$4,000, though.

I live down in Yangmei in a gated community on the top of a small mountain. Lots of greenery, fresh air good facilities etc.

In order to make that work, you still need a network of one kind. I have my inlaws to keep me happy, but if you don’t have that, you’ll end up lonely

Apart from knocking on doors, what’s the best way to find out if these secluded dwellings are rentable? Any agencies specialize in old countryside homes? There’s a couple of places I’d gladly swap my city center apartment for, but I’ve never found anyone at home to ask them.

Apart from knocking on doors, what’s the best way to find out if these secluded dwellings are rentable? Any agencies specialize in old countryside homes? There’s a couple of places I’d gladly swap my city center apartment for, but I’ve never found anyone at home to ask them.[/quote]

In our case, we happened to be just poking around and saw this place. There wasn’t anyone living there, but the yard and the facade were obviously well-cared for – tended plants, swept clean, etc. We just went down the road to the nearest Mom&Pop store and asked who lived there. From there, it was just a phone call to the owners, who lived just up the valley in a concrete blockhouse …
It helps if your wife is an inveterate poker, though.

I would never move out of the city…trees and mountains are not really my thing. I grew up stuck between three mountains, and am so sick of them that I haven’t even gone up ONE since I’ve been here.
I do like these little rooftop apartments, though. Are they hard to find, and should I keep mine?

[quote=“Toe Save”]

Oh my!?! Is this True? I am gonna be lonely if I don’t have the He in-laws to keep me happy???

AAAAEEEEEEIIIIIIYYYYYYYOOOOOOOO!!! :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

But to play along…can you be happy and lonely?

Does company beget joy?

Are alone and lonely the same thing?[/quote]

Well, I wrote a network of some kind, no matter what it is. I work in Taipei and drive in - therefore most of my network is in Taipei. Having the inlaws around is good when you need to get something fixed or find out something down there - I would never get my car fixed at a place, I hadn’t been introduced to. Moreover, living in a beautiful place is no good if you don’t have anyone to share it with.

I live in Yangmei and drive in from Yangmei - every single day.