AUD outward SWIFT remittance - Cathay Bank

Hi,

I have SWIFT transferred AUD from my Cathay United multi-currency account to my Australian ING Australia account once a month for about 2 years. ING does not charge fees to receive SWIFT transfers in AUD.

The transfers have always been sent directly by Cathay and directly received by ING, not routed through a third party bank.

However this month’s transfer was missing $20AUD. After checking the remittance note, I noticed that Cathay routed the transfer via the Commonwealth Bank (who presumably took the $20)… which has never happened before. Does anyone know why this happened and if I can stop it from happening in the future?

See: Moving USD from our accounts in the USA to Taiwan

Banks are mostly all on the SWIFT network, but they can’t transfer directly to each other without first swapping credentials (usually a commercial arrangement). If two banks have not exchanged credentials, an intermediary bank is used.

In this case, it seems that the credential exchange between Ing and Cathay has lapsed. You can’t fix this.

2 Likes

Thanks @fifieldt . I had a good thing going only paying the $300nt cathay fee and no intermediary or final bank fees. it was worth transferring every month.

I guess all good things come to an end, time for quarterly transfers instead of monthly :smiling_face_with_tear:

The alternative would be to open a CommonWealth bank account (assuming you closed your Dollarmites account :D), but at that point you have to ask yourself some serious questions :smiley:

1 Like