Aus/Brit/NZ Lingo

Potentially, and at least amongst my group back home it worked for both, but mostly I’ve only heard it used for “capable of great speed” (not necessarily showing it at the moment of speaking, though).

[quote=“bababa”][quote=“Loretta”]I check the bill, ticking each item, write a cheque, and get a receipt.
You check the check, check each item, write a check, and get a check. :loco:[/quote]
No, Americans check the check, check each item, write a check, and get a receipt.
Canadians check the check, check each item, write a cheque, and get a receipt.[/quote]

:blush: Got carried away with my own enthusiasm there. I was thinking of the receipt you get when you leave your coat with the cloakroom attendant. It’s just called a ticket where I come from.

I live in kaohsiung… Can I post a picture of myself? :help:

[quote]What was the line in the movie?

I’m going to need a beer to put out these flames.” [/quote]-

Actually, that line is from CHEERS, and American TV Sitcom, on NBC, an American TV network, owned by GE, an American conglomerate.

Oh, I’ll be there, and I’m gonna drink it nice and slowly :slight_smile:

Hold on to your horses. You’re going to BUY 3 pints, get three free, I assume, and them encourage me NOT drink them because they’re warm, AND you’re smarter than you look?

I’m thinking it’ll be easy to find you…

:slight_smile: See you then

Beer is only rented.

Some of my favourite NZild words:

choice: excellent, sweet as
sweet as: really nice, choice
no worries: (well this NZ/Ausism hs got so interntaional it doesn’t need explanation)
dunny: toilet, bog, ‘washroom’’
sarnie: sandwich (Northern English word?)
smoko: ‘teatime’
mekky: choice, sweet as

Brian

Swally – a drink
Peeve – a drink
Collies – money
Barry – good
Dead barry – great
Pure dead barry – fucking amazing
Bampot – nutter
wynch – have a date with
lumber – get off with someone
Ginger – lemonade

rooted-stuffed/f**ked
A typical kiwi male eats shoots roots and leaves.
Jandals-slippers here in Taiwan
pull a sickie-phone in work sick when not sick
smoko-coffee/tea break
togs-swimsuit

Actually I believe it’s a single phrase, “tu meke”, from Maori. Although I don’t know what meke on it’s own means.

A few more to add:
“patu” = broken
“patero” = fart
“tiki tour” = wandering about, taking the long/scenic route
“cuz”/“bro”/“cuzzie bro” = basically the Kiwi version of “dude”. Similar to “mate” although possibly more familiar.

South Africa :
Koki pens : felttip pens (an old brand name, i think)
flip flops : jandals, or thongs, or slippers, etc

Australia:
volleys: simple low white sandshoes (trainers)
thongs : jandals, slippers, flipflops, etc :slight_smile:
ute: utility vehicle, pickup truck
head down, bum up: working hard (fast on a bike)
flat out like a lizard drinking : working really hard

etc

“cheers” - thanks
“wotcher” - I only heard this a few times “hello”
“snog” - kiss (you’d be surprised how many Americans don’t know this)
“giro” - the British equivalent of a welfare check (which you get on the “dole”)

Now for some Ohioisms (get ready, y’all):

-superfluous prepositions such as “Where’s your sister at?” and “Where’s this party at?”

-use of “anymore” to reflect the present such as (similar to ‘nowadays’) “Anymore, kids just don’t respect their elders.”

-A presuposition to name local fruits after tropical ones…sweet bell peppers are called ‘mangoes’ and custard apples are called ‘paw-paws’.

-Queen City - another name for Cincinnati

• -tucky to imply the hickiness of a town…for instance my hometown is nicknamed Middletucky (Middletown).

-That city across the river (in Kentucky) is pronounced LOO-uh-vuhl (luh-vuhl for the hard cored ones on the Kentuckian sides of things)…for the last friggin’ time, people. There is no such place as LOU-is-ville or even LOO-ee-ville.

• and the airport that is located over 1/2 an hour south of the state of Ohio is called the Cincinnati International Airport despite being nowhere near Cincinnati…talk about some serious NIMBY.

[quote=“urodacus”]ute: utility vehicle, pickup truck
head down, bum up: working hard (fast on a bike)
[/quote]
^^ Not just Australian.

Also:
“dairy” = corner store, general store
“jandal” (in case no-one’s actually mentioned it) = flip flop, thong (as in footwear one), etc. Contract of “Japanese sandal”, brand name for the first brand of such rubber thongs to go on sale in NZ, with a design inspired by Japanese geta (sandals).

Crash the Ash (Scottish)=Pass out cigarettes to share with others

English (south of Watford)

Sweaty : (ask Sandman!)
Septic : our cousins from the good ole US of A
Knackered : tired out (originally sexually)
Scum : Man Utd fan
Film : what Septics call “movies”
Advert : what Septics call “commercials”
Gnats piss : bad beer (i.e Coors Light, Budweiser)
Old man : father
Old girl : mother
Chav : male wearing Burberry product(s)
Git : somebody you do not like (but only a little) / somebody you do like but has annoyed you
Plonker : see above (OFAH) - idiot or penis
Cushty : nice / good outcome (OFAH)
Sorted : see above
Muppet : idiot
Tw*t - idiot or vagina
Ct - see above, stronger
The Missus : the wife
Her Indoors : see above
VAT : Value Added Tax or Vodka And Tonic
Snitch : somebody who gives you up to somebody in authority
Pig : people with the authority (Police)
Dodgy : English pop group / not to be trusted
Shafted : to have been put in trouble by somebody
Tight : thrifty
When Nelson gets his eye back : it will never happen
Aint enough room to swing a cat : small room/area
Between the Devil and the deep blue sea : an impossible decision, both outcomes with bad consequences
Going Dutch : a date where you both pay half each
Nightmare : woman you cannot get on with
Plonk : bad/poor quality wine
Lost it : no longer able to think/function
Bloody : tried to explain this to a Taiwanese colleague once, no joy, but generally now used to emphasise, less emphasis than f
k, can be good or bad.

West Kent, England

Pikey : somebody from Gillingham or Maidstone
Al’right you ol’ wanker : term of endearment
Tart : female from Essex
Wife Beater : Stella Artois (Lager/Beer)
Sheep Dip : Shepherd Neame Best Bitter (Bitter/Beer)
Weston Super : a really bad nightmare (see Nightmare)
Them : persons from Sussex

Or in the Australian (and less commonly NZ) variant, “seppo” (rhyming. Septic Tank = Yank)

I thought chavs could be male or female. Also, chavs are usually pretty much white trash to my understanding.

Rodney you plonker!

For a true understanding of British language take a look at the Profanisaurus, a swearing dictionary…

[Warning - Not at work]
http://www.maxim-magazine.co.uk/profanisaurus/profan_index.php

Just thought of another one to add from NZ:

Ne’mind yours. (Abbreviated from “Never mind yours.” Basically means “Pfft, whatever.”)

I prefer the Dodgy Brothers variant - as in, geez, that’s a bit Dodgy Brothers (from a comedy TV show where the Dodgy Bros. are constantly trying to flog stuff… er, that is, sell it). I love that expression :laughing:[/quote]

There was a shop in regional Tasmania called ‘Dodgy Jim’s Antiques’. I kid you not.

I’m Australian, and thought of one that might have been unique over the weekend. Unfortunately, I didn’t have access to the 'net to post it and forgotten it.

Here is another though, that I thought of. Not sure if it is uniquely Australian…

Get your arse into gear = Hurry up

[quote=“ImaniOU”]Now for some Ohioisms (get ready, y’all):
-use of “anymore” to reflect the present such as (similar to ‘nowadays’) “Anymore, kids just don’t respect their elders.”
[/quote]
Wow! I thought people only said that in Des Moines, Iowa and Livermore, California.

[quote]
-That city across the river (in Kentucky) is pronounced LOO-uh-vuhl (luh-vuhl for the hard cored ones on the Kentuckian sides of things)…for the last friggin’ time, people. There is no such place as LOU-is-ville or even LOO-ee-ville.[/quote]
Having lived in Louisville for a few years, I can tell you that there are perhaps a dozen pronunciations for the place, all of which are acceptable. (LOO-uh-vul and LOO-ee-vil" being the most widely spoken, but “LOO-uh-ville”, “LOO-ee-vul”, “LOO-vil”, “LUH-vul” and “LOW-uh-vul” being heard sometimes.) The only pronunciation that will get you in trouble is if you pronouce the “s”. Never pronounce the “s”.

What about “Cincinnatti”? Do the locals call it “Cincinnatta”?