Australia Day - Jasons Taipei 101

Reading the China Post I noticed a three page spread covering Australia Day which is january 26th. There’s also a new store called Jason’s at the Taipei 101 mall with a lot of Australian imports. No word on Vegemite but there’s Foster’s beer, Aussie wine, candy like crunchie and cadbury flake, juice from Berri, and more. They sell 1000 different Australian products there.

Yes, but if there’s no Vegemite, WHAT’S THE POINT??? Don’t mind me, I’m just bitter because I was counting on them to have it… but on second-hand information, they don’t. I didn’t realise till I did a search on the forums that Vegemite was so hard to get here - it was so easy to get in HK! I think it might actually be cheaper and easier to get some mailed from Sydney :laughing:

Apparently they have Marmite which is very similar, do a search for ‘Marmite’ on here or look HERE

I appreciate your big fluffy kindness :slight_smile: , I really do, but

ARE YOU INSANE??? :smiley:

Although they do have quite a selection of Aussie products, they don’t have the two most popular - vegemite and V.B. Anyway, vegemite can be bought at the Tienmu grocery but V.B? Why would you sell Fosters for gods sake. Nobody, honestly NOBOby drinks that cat’s piss.

After a trip out there AGAIN yesterday, I came home with - Gravox for my home roasts, Cottee’s Orange crush cordial (now I’ve been looking for that for 5 years), Old El Pas Enchilada Packs (kooking since my 1st day here), Uncle Toby’s Vita brits, Villi’s meat pies and sausage rolls (mmmmm), Steak and a nice Barossa Valley Shiraz.

I brought back some vile Vegemite from Sydney for my friend. I don’t see what the big deal is with that salty brown mucky stuff. I guess it’s an acquired taste…:unamused:

What are you talking about? It is wonderful, and I’m an American, for goodness sake. I had it on my toast just this morning. Actually, I prefer Marmite, but Vegemite’s fine.

AGH - OUT, OUT I say!!! Be grateful that you possess the breakfast spread of divine saltiness, and hunger not for its evil imposter! Sorry - I’ll be fine in a couple of weeks when I’ve gotten my fix… and yes, for those Marmite defenders out there, I know Marmite came first, and Vegemite is a copy, blah blah blah :smiley:

Jasons is selling loads of scrumptious Aussie grub. And it’s all the better because I trust the wholesomeness of Australian products much more than I trust that of food from the U.S. or even many parts of Europe.

However, I’m glad Jasons are smart enough to stock Marmite rather than Vegemite.

[quote=“Flicka”]

What are you talking about? It is wonderful, and I’m an American, for goodness sake.[/quote]
Well I did bring it back for another American friend of ours, Flicka.
But I still despise the stuff. Way too salty for me. If I wanted saltiness, I’d eat olives and feta cheese, not sticky brown goo on toast.

[quote]If I wanted saltiness, I’d eat olives and feta cheese, not sticky brown goo on toast.
[/quote]

Feta goes very well with feta on toast. It’s a personal favourite of mine. I haven’t tried yet, but I’m sure olives on top of that would be great too.

People from NZ send or bring me too much vegemite. I’ve got two big jars at the moment and only one is opened. They expire this April though, so I’ll bring one to the next happy hour for some lucky punter (or maybe Alleycat could put it on the pizza for a little extra something :wink: ).

Brian

[quote=“Alien”][quote=“Flicka”]

What are you talking about? It is wonderful, and I’m an American, for goodness sake.[/quote]
Well I did bring it back for another American friend of ours, Flicka.
But I still despise the stuff. Way too salty for me. If I wanted saltiness, I’d eat olives and feta cheese, not sticky brown goo on toast.[/quote]

And the beauty of it is that it is salty tasting, but very low in sodium, and full of all the right nutrients our bodies need.

[quote=“Flicka”]

And the beauty of it is that it is salty tasting, but very low in sodium, and full of all the right nutrients our bodies need.[/quote]

Yes, all of those fabulous nutrients that are found in beer extract. ew.

In other countries they throw this stuff away when they are done making beer. I bet somebody could get an undergrand recipe and then make a little trip to a Taiwan beer factory… Make it yourself.

Can someone give me the address of Jason’s in Taipei and some idea how to get there. Keep in mind i’ll be driving up from Chiayi and don’t know Taipei at all so something of an idea would be ok. ta

It’s in the basement of Taipei 101. Just head toward Taipei’s and the world’s tallest building. Can’t miss it.

That’s easy: Just look for a very, very tall building that sticks up above everything else, and head straight towards it. You really can’t miss it!

[Added moments later: Ha! You beat me to it by a whisker there, Alien!]

Just back from a protracted stay in Oz and I can honestly say I never once enjoyed vegemite on toast the whole time I was there. Actually I find it far superior to that english imitations and understand those who have tried to make ckear the disticnction. As it is my fortunes are changing and I may have cause to discard two 500gm jars of the stuff for said lucky punters. daasgrrl?

Amos. Stopped off in Thailand for the Chinese New Year. VB absolutely everywhere.

HG

Bloody oath mate! (Sorry, just got carried away there.) You’re ‘discarding’ the stuff? What’s going on? Leaving or overstocked? :slight_smile: Anyway, if it’s going, yes please! Now, if only decent bread were widely available :laughing:

Hope you had a good time in sunny Oz…

Huangy you lucky prick. I went to Phuket last CNY and spent a good portion of the time putting away VB’s while the missus was splashing around the foreshore, unfortunately no luck here though, STILL. If you’re offloading vegemite, don’t forget me either mate. I’m using a jar that’s 4 months out of date because I can’t be bothered going out to Tienmu. Cheers Amos.

Like I said before. I’ll be giving away free vegemite at the next Forumosa Happy Hour. One full can, and I’ll throw in a half-used one if anyone wants it. Can’t say fairer than that.

Brian