Australian Football Grandfinal 2008

Geelong versus Hawthorn. We’re set for a classic I reckon as the all conquering Cats, who’ve lost 2 of their last what? 47 games, face the Hawks who are capable of anything. I’m pumped. After almost 10 years living in Taiwan, I finally get to see Hawthorn in the big one. Any Australian Footy fans still on the boards these days? If there are, buckle up for a beauty. Go Hawks.

I agree it is going to be an amazing game, but I think the Cats just have too much fire power all over the field to be knocked over. Every single one of the Hawks (i.e. not only Buddy) will have to have a incredible game for them to win.

But what do I know. I’m just an ignorant South African who’s only been watching footy for 2 seasons … completely hooked though! :smiley:

As every year, the Tavern-Premier shows AFL final live with a huge Aussie Style Buffet!
tavern.com.tw/events.php

what’s all this about Australian style, TavernCaptain? do rubber thongs, boardshorts and dirty singlets count?

anyway, I’m not coming, there’s no swans this year. damn shame.

i think i’ll go and sulk in the garden and eat worms.

Great work, TavernCaptain. We’ll see you there. Go Hawks.

Go on ya teggs. Make sure you jump on the Hawks, mate. I’ll be the guy wearing the Hawthorn jumper so be sure to say g’day, unless we’re getting belted of course (I may need some alone time if that were the case) :slight_smile:

And urodacus, don’t let the Swans not making it stop you from enjoying a belter. I hate West Coast and Sydney with a passion :sunglasses: but the 2005 and 2006 Grandfinals were two of my most enjoyable games ever where Hawthorn haven’t played. And then there’s the whole Aussie buffet and $120 VBs thing :laughing:

Grand final is like an unofficial holiday. Most of our office will be off Thursday through Monday!

Good for me. I had to askwhat grand final it was today. Of course I got the old “Pommie git” comments.
:doh:

I will wait to see another non Melbourne team win the title again. :smiley: :smiley: :noway:

Sorry to say I will be at home in Alshan watching as I havent been home since befoer the typhoon which washed all the roads away. Open again today… for how long who knows.

Oh you lucky bastard, you’ll have to stock up on beer and other comestibles, though, as you’re gonna get your roads cleaned off the mountains again come saturday night…
:astonished:

Ok, go the Hawks.

see, i’ve said it.

( i used to barrack for the Hawks many years ago, with what’s his name john platin or whatever he was called back then)

45 minutes after I got home today a large storm has already stuffed the roads. Home, safe and sound.

Stocked up with enough for the next two weeks.

Still it means I have an excuse no to go out working for the next ten days :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Another Typhoon due up Monday or Tuesday

Congratulations to the Hawks! (I was wrong)

Geelong just couldn’t kick straight and were lacking a couple of dominant forwards. Luke Hodge definitely won the game for his team and was a deserved Norm Smith Medallist.

So now we have to wait another long 6 months for the 2009 season…

Although I don’t often watch that code of footie, I must say that I enjoyed the game (although I was hoping for more violence :smiling_imp: ). It sure is a huge field they play on.

It’s the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground). Aussie Rules was first created as a way for cricketers to keep fit during the winter … now it’s the most popular sport in Australia (I think).

Teggs said: [quote]It’s the MCG [/quote]
Yeah, I know, a Mass Convict Gathering! A 100,000 turnout - absolutely amazing!!

Eh? Did the abos play cricket too?

HG

Well done Hawks…(although Im an Adelaide supporter!)

[quote]Sam Kekovich’s Speech to Centre Square Grand Final Day 2008

My fellow Australians,

I’ve been invited here to talk to Centre Square, in these big marquees on Punt Road Oval. And speaking of Punt Road Oval, let me tell you something for nothing - Jack Dyer would be spinning in his grave if he could see the place right now. Full of a bunch of Collins Street corporate criminals, Chapel Street designer cats and Toorak poodle rooters who have about as much interest in football as Paris Hilton has an interest in astrophysics.

Captain Blood didn’t break every bone in his body and commit multiple acts of on-field heroism and homicide so he could see his beloved home ground turned into an over-priced pre-match party for chardonnay-swilling spivs
and their assorted hangers-on attending their one footy match of the year, whilst tens of thousands of hard-working honest battlers who love the game and love their team are denied the chance to attend the greatest game in
the world.

I’ve had a gutful. Whilst this bunch of Armani-wearing, Audi-driving, Prada-carrying try-hards monopolise priceless vantage points in the MCG, millions of genuine footy fans who have followed their team through thick and thin have to make do by watching the game at home or down at the local pub, whilst the Melbourne spivocracy get to sit on their fat posteriors in a marquee and wouldn’t even know the way to the MCG without a tour guide.

Since most of you haven’t attended a single match this year and know nothing about football, let me give you a few tips - Geelong wears blue, Hawthorn wears brown, and in case you were wondering, there’ll be no fashions on
the field at half-time, and no, the Lexus Centre across the road is not a prestige car dealership.

Centre Square is not only unfair. Centre Square is not only inequitable. Centre Square is downright un-Australian! And so are all of you! In fact, bet you’re all so un-Australian that you all hate the Anzacs, you booed Cathy Freeman, and you want to cull cute cuddly koalas because one of them once jumped out in front of your Range Rover on the way to Mount Hotham. But it’s not just you who are at fault. I also blame the AFL - those out-of-touch, opera-loving elitists at AFL headquarters who are responsible for this unconscionable abomination need to take a good hard look in the mirror. That is if they can handle the sight of moral and spiritual bankruptcy staring back at them.

I also blame the government. Our new Prime Minister has clearly failed his first test of leadership if he thinks it’s acceptable to allow an event like this to go ahead without a pre-emptive strike by the SAS. The PM is doing nothing to ease the squeeze on working families on the bottom rung of the ladder of opportunity who just want to see their team in the Granny. But he’d better get his act together and do something about it, or millions of angry footy fans will do it for him. Revolutions have been started and governments have been overthrown for lesser outrages than this. And people ask why we need capital punishment.

So cut off your silver tails, tear up your fur coats and get fair dinkum. Our great Australian game is the greatest game in the world - the game of the people. Not some once-a-year marquee piss-up for an overpaid, over-dressed pack of passionless corporate cretins who only turn up for the free chardonnay and then spend the actual game looking about as interested and excited as a line of Easter Island statues.

So don’t bother coming across to the MCG this afternoon, because you’re not welcome. The next train out of Melbourne leaves Richmond station in 10 minutes - so make sure you’re on it. Or, better still, under it. So don’t be un-Australian - everyone here in Centre Square can get stuffed!

You know it makes sense. I’m Sam Kekovich.[/quote]

HG

Priceless! :smiley: