Australian Indigenous Voice to Parliament passes the senate (and fails at the referendum stage)

The bill for a constitutional indigenous voice to Parliament was passed by the Australian senate today.
First referendum since I’ve had the right to vote.
First since the 2000 republic referendum.
And, if successful, would only be the 9th successful constitutional amendment since federation.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

So far I haven’t heard anyone in the media provide a coherent explanation of what it actually is. All I’ve heard is fluff words.

https://twitter.com/TheMilkBarTV/status/1665817033492111361

1 Like

What does it all mean?

1 Like

That will be determined by legislation after the constitution is changed :roll:

1 Like

There’s a near perfect example of how Indigenous people should be incorporated in parliament near by, just across the Tasman.

1 Like

~150 different iwi that have been there for about 700 years vs ~700 different Australian Aboriginal groups that have been here for tens of thousands of years. Don’t necessarily disagree though.

1 Like

Peter Garrett: “indifference is not sufficient.”

He makes the case here:

Guy

Seems polling shows the votes will lead to a defeat of the proposed change to the constitution.

1 Like

Based on the preliminary referendum results, Australians have voted down the “Indigenous Voice” proposal.

Looking at the results, it appears that more than 70% of residents of Sydney, Melbourne, and Canberra voted “yes” for this proposed change.

This overwhelming level of support in the cities was however swamped by opposition outside of these cities, with nearly 60% of the nation’s voters saying “no.”

So no official “voice” for you.

Source of these results: Voice referendum live results: votes count and map by state in the Australian Indigenous voice to parliament 2023 poll | Indigenous voice to parliament | The Guardian

Guy

1 Like

Defeated as predicted.

1 Like

Counting referendum votes is much easier than federal election votes :sweat_smile:

Thank you for your service. :salute:

Guy

It is tax free money for counting votes?

Nope still taxable :cry:

More data coming in about the referendum voting patterns:

1. Heavily Indigenous booths in Qld have voted yes as follows: Palm Island 75%, Thursday Island 74%, Lockhart River 66%, Pormpuraaw 56%.
2. In the NT, booths managed by the remote mobile teams consisting of a higher proportion of Indigenous Australians returned a Yes of 71.9%…The rest of the NT was 32.6%.
3. More analysis need[ed], but it’s clear Indigenous support is overwhelmingly Yes. Don’t believe the lies.
4. Preliminary analysis In Bob Katter’s seat of Kennedy, shows polling booths with a catchment of more than 50% Indigenous Australians returned a Yes of 69.5%. The rest of Kennedy returned a Yes of 18.5%.
5. It seems that the ~80% figure of Indigenous support was right

So the majority of big city residents supported this initative, and the majority of Indigenous folks seem to have supported it too. It’s pretty clear where the fault lines are located.

Source: https://twitter.com/TracyWesterman/status/1713407180874138095

Guy

2 Likes

Dumb, uneducated country folk?

1 Like

I have seen no data breaking down the numbers based on education level.

Guy

Why do you assume people who live in the country side are dumb uneducated country folk?

The result wasn’t even close. 61% against

Nationally, more than 60 per of Australians voted to oppose it.
The emphatic verdict left Yes supporters shell-shocked.

1 Like

I don’t assume that. In fact, I was questioning whether that was the point afterspivik was trying to make by pointing out that city folk voted differently to country folk. Because I was going to argue against it.

He already replied clearing it up so I was reading too much into it.

1 Like