Australian Land Rights Debate

I’ve just read a couple articles on this land rights debate going on in Australia, but I have to say that both of them could have done a better job in presenting the issue (maybe they just know that most of their readership is already more informed on the subject than I am). In any event, I’m still curious to know what the crux of the matter is. Is anyone here familiar with this debate? Anyone got a “side”?

I must say I hadn’t heard of this latest ‘debate’ - as far as I can tell it’s just whether or not to change the form of the existing land rights in the Northern Territory from communal to individual. For background on land rights in general, you may want to look at the Mabo and Wik decisions and the Native Title Treaty (this is assuming you don’t know all about them already :slight_smile:).

Handy quick reference here.

Nice site, daasgrrl – looks very informative. As I recall, Fox provided some helpful information touching on this a while back in another thread as well, but the mechanics of how communal land rights operate are still a little murky for me. Good chance to learn something new I guess. Thanks for the link. :slight_smile: