Austria no longer accepts Taiwan International Driver's Permit and vice versa

I can only speak for German citizens …

I changed my German licence in Taiwan for a local Taiwanese one. The office took my German licence and apparently sent it back to Germany.

After moving back to Germany I claimed a fake loss for my Taiwanese licence and applied for a new German one.

Anyone going back for a German home visit can do that, just need to apply for short-term German household registration, nothing is preventing you to cancel that again when leaving Germany (you can even do that remotely).

Hence I now hold both a German and tw licence. I have no idea whether the German authorities might have reported the fake loss to the tw authority, but due to German fucked up burocracity I guess not.

And yeah, I might only find out when my tw license might be checked by tw police due to check and/or an accident.

3 Likes

By doing that, one will potentially trigger unlimited tax liability in Germany for that year by having a registered household in Germany (even if just for some days!). Also, the tax authorities will be notified when one deregisters their household again and will send a questionnaire to check for signs of tax evasion.

Yeah, except that’s a crime:

1 Like

oh boy, asking the German consulate about Austrian issues is asking for trouble my friend!

1 Like

It is not such a clear cut case and at least some legislatures do not agree.
Preventing people from obtaining licenses for activities needed to support themselves borders on human rights violation. (see below)

You are justifying government overreach by denying driving licenses despite the fact that no actual illegal/criminal acts have been committed.

The U.S. Supreme Court changed that in Bell v. Burson, 402 U.S. 535 (1971), recognizing that a license’s “continued possession may become essential in the pursuit of a livelihood”. Because of their value, then, they “are not to be taken away without that procedural due process required by the Fourteenth Amendment”. The Court premised its opinion on the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments protections that neither the State or Federal government can deprive a person of life, liberty or property without due process of law.

4 Likes

I also never bought into the driving is a privilege line from the government, except in extreme cases like drunk driving repeatedly. Without a vehicle in most cases one can’t survive in many countries.

3 Likes

When I got a Taiwan driver’s license two weeks ago (I had to take only the written test), they punched a hole in my US license and gave it back to me. I was told this would be done before applying.

I don’t quite understand why this was necessary.

2 Likes

It’s an absurd notion when you pay taxes for those roads. Can I opt out if I don’t drive? Nope.

3 Likes

I exchanged my TW license for a UK one. But now I need a TW license to exchange for a Italy one :laughing:

I’m wondering if I can just do the same thing you did and get another license from Taiwan next time I’m back.

It might take 5 mins to get it back. Plan your trip accordingly.

1 Like

Different cultures, different interpretations, taxes for roads can be used by buses or you can walk/bike on them. Car companies were so successful in ingraining into us the leitmotif: “cars r a necessity and it is Ur right to drive”. Marvelous feat indeed.

Travelling from point A to point B within a country is a right, choosing to travel on a private vehicle and operate such private vehicle is a choice and a privilege.

Not everyone can and should operate a vehicle for reasons of fitness or else, but in America you have the right to bear guns, so I can’t discuss much what is a right and what not. Once you write it down in your constitution it will be a right.

2 Likes

I thought Austria was a country you just strolled around for the serenity.

1 Like

Weird
When I got my Taiwan license …
Yes I know in 1979 the world was a different place and dinosaurs walked around downtown hsimenting….

All one had to do was show a license from a first world nation and Taiwan gave an unlimited Taiwan license

It was unlimited back in those days that is no expiry date

Why is it now one can only have one country’s license

Stupid rule

I can’t read Chinese so back in 1979. I could not take the written test which was in Chinese therefore I could not get a Taiwanese drivers license until I got a US one and then because I had a US one I could then apply for the Taiwanese one which I got the same day, all nice and smooth

No written test no driving test

All I had to do was go to the nearby clinic have my height and weight noted and eyesight checked and 120nt application at the dmv
Have photos from a Photo Booth and newly minted TW license in hand

Then out to rent a 600cc Subaru and actually learn to drive . It was 600nt per day for the Subaru and 800nt a day for a cortina

It was scary!!! And my friend went to the temple to pray after I took him on the freeway

I had only driven a couple times in the USA on a visit before getting the US license

Failing the first attempt by going through a stop sign

My dad then took me to the dmv in Daly City after the one in SF and I passed there

Previously only having driven in driving schools in Taipei at 30nt per half an hour a couple times a week

Anyway actual learning was on the roads in Taiwan

Scary days

4 Likes

Hope this gets cleared up before my next rental car in Austria because never had problems before with Taiwan IDP.

Like the car rental agencies only concern is if credit card authorizes the transaction at pickup.

Vienna, they’re like yeah here, we don’t really need any information, take it, go. Drop it off you know whatever whenever whatever somewhere

2 Likes

Well, u can rent in a country nearby (Bratislava, and Budapest and not far away from Vienna, same for Germany)

1 Like

But if you had an accident, or get checked by police in Austria, then it would be handled as if you don’t have a valid drivers license.

2 Likes

What other “privileges” do you want government to control?

In China you can’t buy a train ticket if government does not “like” you. They think it is a privilege to ride a train built under CCP governance. Do you agree with that?

Is being able to work as a plumber a privilege too? (because you know one could flood apartament downstairs by improperly sealed joint)

Whenever government takes upon itself a task of regulating and certifying abilities of citizens to perform some professional role is that a privilege?

I rather think of it as a service the government was tasked by legislature (the people) to perform to protect citizens from malpractice. Selling it as a “privilege” given to a public is a great totalitarian propaganda.

4 Likes

Got a friend planning to visit his cousin in Austria, and his cousin made a few calls to verify if Austria really stopped accepting Taiwan’s international driver’s permit, and basically confirmed it. It threw a wrench in my friend’s travel plan, as it’s much more difficult traveling with a one-year-old and luggage if he cannot drive.

1 Like

different interpretations, and I understand that coming from the land of the free it can be challenging to comprehend.

operating private property on public ways is indeed a privilege, that’s why you need plates and a licence to operate.

If it ain’t on the constitution or any amendment (to use US parlance) it’s not a right, it’s not a natural right either that doesn’t need to be listed (and it’s not contained in any international treaty or declaration) and there has not been (as far as I am aware) any supreme court ruling or jurisprudence on it, so it is not a right.

Many sovereign citizens fools tried that argument with police and at courts, they all failed. So it’s not a right.

2 Likes

It’s no big deal to be honest.
Unlike “Ethnodrivernistic states” such as Canada or Germany… Australia allows “dual drivernality” so I was allowed to keep my Australian drivers license upon conversion to the Taiwan drivers license. So I have dual-drivership

2 Likes

I still have my Italian licence whilst having my TW one… via the HK route though ahaha

3 Likes