Austria no longer accepts Taiwan International Driver's Permit and vice versa

So what you’re saying is, not your problem so no problem?

3 Likes

Many things are other people’s problems usually because they made them a problem before.

Take for example America… Those people voted for people. The voted in people created laws. Those laws affect those people. Now American expats have to submit tax returns and even pay tax when living abroad. - Similar to Canada’s laws on having to renounce your Canadian license. It’s the people you vote for.

Same with Gaza too.

1 Like

What’s this, did you just make this up?

1 Like

You mean that you didn’t have to renounce (surrender) your Canadian drivers license upon getting the Taiwan one?

But everyone likes reciprocity until it bites them in the arse. (Like in this case)

Australians don’t have to renounce their Australian drivers licenses as Australia doesn’t require Taiwanese to… (Reciprocity in action)

1 Like

What’s this, did you just make it up?

We differ in the core principles: I argue from principles of Libertarianism and democracy while you support your arguments by status quo (“there has not been this and that”)

I’m European BTW. EU’s problem is overregulation. I want EU to succeed and bureaucratic overreach is not a good way to stay competitive.

Please note that even so called universal rights are not given. Many of them are a result of international negotiations and debates.
In the future it will most likely become a universal right to have free access to internet.

You can be a successful sovereign citizen if you have an army (it’s called a warlord)

3 Likes

What you have is reciprocity. Isn’t that what a lot of people keep harping on about. Until it doesn’t suit them.

The problem for you is the Canadian policy not Taiwan’s policy. You want reciprocity so now you reap the rewards. Why should a government care if you have a drivers license in another country?

The simple way around losing your Canadian license is to take the local drivers license test then you can keep both licenses. Choices Choices

After China invades Taiwan after 2027 and I move to Canada as a refugee I won’t swap my Taiwan license I will take the Canadian drivers license test.

1 Like

Yeah, what a bulls**t argument: It’s not every citizens’ personal fault if the laws of their country have some shortcomings or don’t make sense. Yes, voters have the possibility to influence the direction a country’s legislation is taking - but it’s not like the voters vote on each law specifically or even write them…

I don’t blame the average Austrian for this - same as I don’t blame the average Taiwanese person for some of the strange laws and regulations Taiwan has…

Yeah, I feel like that’s been a recurring motive here: If everyone just were Australian, all the issues would apparently be solved. Woe is me who wasn’t born in the apparently best country in the world and now has to deal with the consequences of that decision…

5 Likes

That isnt your fault.

That is your mom and dad’s fault.

6 Likes

It wasn’t my decision as to where I was born was it?

1 Like

Yeah, it wasn’t my decision either to only have citizenship of a country who requires “driving license renunciation” to pick up on that expression…

You can write to MPs, start a petition and raise awareness etc…

So far I’ve never seen a single person write to their MP or embassy regarding resumption of citizenship or drivers license renunciation etc…

Instead people choose to complain to deaf ears in Taiwan.

1 Like

Woe is you then. Life wasn’t meant to easy.

What you should say about your own country is…

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I can’t understand what’s gone wrong with it.

Well Australians tend to write in to their MPs etc regarding problems. That’s why the Australian Taipei office is sick of us already :sweat_smile:

Wonder how we got the resumption policy? That’s because many people wrote in to MPs etc about this issue before. So far I haven’t seen a single Canadian write in about this. (Other than complain to a brick wall on the other side of the world)

I wasn’t born in the lucky country. So I’m not lucky like you.

The fact that I’m not living in my home country right now is also partially because I feel a bit like that about some aspects.

Maybe it’s different in Australia, but overseas citizens are usually the least of concern for an MP. And the embassy will usually just reply that it’s not their responsibility etc.

As a matter of fact, I did write to the German institute (the de facto embassy of Germany in Taiwan) yesterday that the whole thing about having to surrender one’s license should really be reconsidered given the recent development.

They’ll probably just reply that this policy only follows EU regulations, the principle of having only one license, … and that’ll be it. Or maybe they’ll just ignore that part of my request.
But I’ll post their reply here (well, if they reply at all).

Oh, if you want to petition the German government (and want them to actually discuss your petition), you’ll need at least 50,000 signatures. Good luck with that - that’s more people than Germans living in Taiwan…

Fact is I am living in what I consider to be my home country, Taiwan. All other countries are foreign to me including the one I was born in.

If you have family/friends etc… they can write in too.

There aren’t Germans living in other countries? I’m sure lots of them abroad would prefer to keep a German license and not have to renounce.

What we’ve got here is failure to communicate

1 Like