[Authentication] Where/How to Legalize a Translation

I have done a translation of some academic transcripts for a scholarship application, and the student says the translation must be legalized by the court here in Taiwan. Does anyone know exactly which court this is referring to and how one gets this kind of legalization done? Would I go in person or execute an affadavit to confirm the translation? Will it carry more punch on company letterhead (well, that’s probably an obvious “yes”)…Any information would be greatly appreciated.

could they mean notarized?
if so, your ex-colleagues at Elite can get it done for you.

Hey…I’ll have you know, I NEVER worked for Elite. At least not on staff. Although I have been known to contract for them at times, if the money was right.


Legalization is not the same as notarization. When Taiwan law requires someone to legalize a document in a foreign country it must be done at the Taiwan Representative Office or whatever they call their embassy there. In Taiwan I don’t know which govt office does it but I’ll see if I can find out. I think you will have to go in personally, with your ARC card, and swear that you are Ironlady and you did this translation and it is true and correct or something like that. I agree, company letterhead and punch are a good idea seeing how much those things mean over here. If I find out the office name I’ll let you know.


MT is right, I think that is is possible to also go to the District Court and have something “legalized”. This is what my old firm used to do with Documents like POA’s which were executed here in Taiwan.

MT, any more info you could find?

I believe the process is also known as authentication and can/should be performed at the Bureau of Consular Affairs. See the following link:


Thanks, all. More good excuses to run into Taipei and eat, shop, and go to the gym while I´m there!!!


In order to register my son’s birth into my pseudo embassy in Taipei, I need to prepare English translation of Birth Certificate (provided by the hospital) and have it legalized by the Taipei District Court (Notary Public Office of Taiwan Taipei District Court - Tai Bei Di Fang Fa Yuan). I went there this morning and got everything done for NT 750.-

I can’t remember the exact address, but it’s near the Xin Dian City Hall MRT Station. Phone: 8919 3866.

For what it’s worth –

The Court will only notarize/legalize documents IF there is a notary who speaks BOTH languages. That is, if you’re doing Chinese/English, you might be OK, but Spanish/English – forget it. Your only choice is to try to bribe someone to stamp the papers without actually speaking Spanish, I reckon.

Anyway, the papers in question were finally “legalized” by the embassy of a certain Central American nation, and the university accepted them. They didn’t really want legalization/notarization by the Court; they just THOUGHT they did. As usual. :unamused: