Automatic >>> Manual: Need Practice! Thoughts?

I have a manual license, but driven automatics for 20 years. Kinda forgot how to do manual (or stick shift). Any thoughts on how I can get some practice before I drive in the UK on a manual car? I used to ride a motorcycle with manual, my license is manual (so I’ve learned it)… And of course, my own car is Automatic! I don’t know anyone with a manual, and renting one seems impossible. They’re all automatics. So I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this?

If you’re renting a car in the uk just click the automatic option. If your lending one from family of friends go drive round Aldi carpark at night then move up to the industrial estate.

I’m sure you’ll remember really quickly. Stay away from hills at first if possible.

4 Likes

Driving schools have manual vehicles, some will let you practice by the hour.

4 Likes

Considering in UK you’ll be shifting the stick with your left hand instead of right hand like Taiwan, might be hard to find something similar in Taiwan except maybe a video game mock up.

I’d suggest rent a car locally for practice just to get the rhythm embedded as much as possible.

Also, practice brushing your teeth with the opposing hand or something else you don’t commonly do with the other hand. Maybe even just washing your body or combing hair or eating.

2 Likes

When I first read that, I thought you were saying there was a button in the modern car which you can use to select automatic or manual. My mind was blown. Then I realised you meant just rent an automatic.

8 Likes

My brother had a car with Steptronic Transmission for a couple of years, sort of like selecting auto or manual, but not quite enough as he went back to just manual when he got his next car.

1 Like

I never thought about that.

Or use this car ha
https://www.autolist.com/guides/what-are-paddle-shifters

Going from Japanese car to American car I did not have problem using the “other” hand. Now the biggest thing is remembering to enter on the correct side of the car haha (I few times I went in the wrong door)

3 Likes

Have you driven in a manual in the UK before?

If not, I recommend just hiring an automatic. The traffic density UK-wide is relatively high, and if you are out of touch with a manual, it can be pretty stressful.

I’m from the UK and my first left-hand-drive driving experience was a manual hire car in Italy. I considered myself a decent driver up until that point, when changing gear with my right hand caused me to involuntarily steer to the right into the side of a cliff. Had I been driving the opposite direction, I’d have fallen into Lake Como. Not a bad way to go, I suppose.

2 Likes

When I switched driving sides, for the first 5 minutes, every time I went to change gear I would punch the door :smiley:

2 Likes

I was fine on a recent trip to Europe except for reversing, would grab at the door everytime! Was lucky enough to have use of an automatic though, otherwise the door would have received punches too!

Can be considerably more expensive in the UK, if you can find one.

Never driven on the ‘wrong side ‘ so I can’t comment on that but I think driving a stick is like riding a bike once you know how you don’t forget

However you may be rusty and crunch gears a few times though :nerd_face:

And it seems to me the exact spot on the clutch where the plates engage seem to be slightly different for each car and that gets a slight getting used to

I have driven stick all my life and now I pretty much hate it

I’m older so the head and foot link is not as good so more gear crunching

2 Likes

I should hope not, you can get into an accident doing that.

is that like Harry Potter?

:wink:

1 Like

It seems to me you will pick it back up very quickly. Most of it is feel (and listening to the rpms), and having that motorcyle experience will help immensely. It’s been at least 20 years for me and I’m sure I could drive a car with a manual transmission right away. I also had motorcycle experience (dirt bikes as a kid).

2 Likes

well, my first experience on driving on the other side of the road was in Japan on Ishigaki island (automatic though, but always drove stick shift in Italy). First 5 mins I drove on the wrong side haha (thanks God no one on the street). Took me some time to get used. Then drove all the way from Tokyo to Hyogo prefecture and back. That was an experience.

2 Likes

Not these days, automatics are way more popular in the UK than they once were. Manual seems to be the minority, especially for newer vehicles. It’s easier for car manufacturers to only offer automatics these days, especially given that electrics and hybrids cannot be manual transmission.

I’m actually not sure how I’ll get on with a manual. I only drove it when I was learning and never once again after that for more than 10 years.

1 Like

Driving on the different sides wasn’t too difficult though. Got used to it quickly. The only thing strange is parking tbh. It’s hard to get a feel for the dimensions of the car and I always turn my head the wrong way. It just felt super unnatural.

It’s now cheaper to rent an automatic than the equivalent manual version in the UK ?