When I go to another forum and click on the properties of somebody’s avatar, I just get a link from their site. It’s not just one or two other forums like that, it’s every other forum than forumosa. What makes forumosa so cool that I can find out where everyone gets their avatar from?

The reason I was checking is that I had found a cool animated gif for an avatar. It was a very small filesize, just 6K. I put it on my profile, but when I checked back today it’s gone. Now I don’t remember the site that I got it from, so what I do know is that I don’t have that image any more.

The address you set is:
http://www.sblade.netfirms.com/images/Animated/Toons/bananas_md_clr.gif

which if you open in a new window you can see, but you can’t see it when you use it as a avatar, which means they don’t let you link to it from another site, like geocities and tripod and lots of other sites.

I had a weird experience with avatars about a year ago. I found a cool one at some website and usurped it for my use here, as most others have done. But apparently by doing so it sent a message back to the guy I took it from, telling him it was being used elsewhere, because he promptly contacted me, told me he had created the avatar and I had no right to use it. I was very surprised.

Maybe Forumosa could let users upload their avatars to the site instead of having to link to an external site. If it’s a bandwidth problem, maybe this privilege could be limited to regular users who have been a member for at least one year.

twocs, why don’t you just download to your PC, put the gif on photobucket and link from there. I think you have to log in every so often to keep the 'bucket account active.

MT you realize that your Che avatar is copyrighted don’t you? The owner, Alberto Diaz Gutierrez (Alberto Korda), recently sued the makers of Smirnoff vodka for using it in an ad. I think you’re safe though because he said: “As a supporter of the ideals for which Che Guevara died, I am not averse to its reproduction by those who wish to propagate his memory and the cause of social justice throughout the world, but I am categorically against the exploitation of Che’s image for the promotion of products such as alcohol, or for any purpose that denigrates the reputation of Che.”
An interesting little tidbit there for ya!

I would imagine that if forumosa hosted avatar’s eventually someone would start complaining that an avatar they created was being copied illegally. If it’s hosted elsewhere it’s not forumosa’s problem.

I also think we should be able to upload the avatars. I remember once I chose an avatar from a website and linked it to Forumosa. The owner of the site blocked it soon after and told me in an e-mail that he is the one paying for the traffic my link generates. It kind of made sense to me.

No magic involved here, he simply had a look at the server logs and found out his avatar was being used by someone else. Here’s a line from my logfile:

[color=darkblue]80.90.55.247 - - [18/Nov/2004:11:46:08 +0100] “GET /avatars/5star_monkex.gif HTTP/1.1” 200 3133 www.hypermegaglobal.netForumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English” “Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20041001 Firefox/0.10.1” “-”[/color]

Among other things, it reveals that this image I created is being used in this thread on Forumosa. That’s fine, because I posted there. That guy probably just had a look at Forumosa, saw you were using his avatar and contacted you. If he weren’t that nice, he could have simply changed the image to something obscene. Remember: If you’re “ursurping avatars”, you have no control over the image which is shown!

[quote=“stragbasher”]I would imagine that if forumosa hosted avatars eventually someone would start complaining that an avatar they created was being copied illegally. If it’s hosted elsewhere it’s not forumosa’s problem.[/quote]I agree.

When using TaiwanHo this morning I noticed that they have two image upload options in addition to the link to URL option and a select from gallery option in their Avatar Control Panel. They are using phpBB 2.0.11, so it should also be possible on this site. It would overcome some of the issues posted on this thread and give Forumosans the option of customising Avatars, or even creating Avatars from scratch.

Will we see similar options added to the Avatar Control Panel in the future?

We already have that. I made my old avatar, edited my current one, customized Spack’s old one, and when I can be bothered I’m considering getting to work refining ImaniOU’s one too.

I’ll host a person’s avatar for a cheese burger :slight_smile:. It’s pretty easy to find free image hosting. Just download the ones you like and get them hosted somewhere.

Having the avatars hosted here is just a function that needs to be turned on. With the new server and bandwidth limits I actually don’t think it should be a problem.

My old avatar gets more hits then my site does and I’m not even using it anymore. Maybe I should hunt down those bandwidth stealers and send them nasty emails :smiling_imp: .

Oh yeah and about that. They probably have an image gallery installed that users can choose images from. Users at other sites might not even be allowed to post links to outside sites (for fear of someone using a distasteful image as an avatar I believe).

spectator.co.uk/cartoons/2005-01-08-0.jpg

Above is an avatar that I want to use but I think that it is way too big. I want to save the fat cat and “get off my land” part so that it is still readable while cutting the extraneous stuff to be able to fit.

Any help would be most appreciated. Think of what you will be doing for the IP forum!

fred

He’s my try:

If you want a smaller avatar, you must add pixels to it.

I like this one a little better:

If you plan on using me as a host it’ll cost you a cheeseburger.

Fine Miltontownkid:

Now send me the link or add it to my profile so that I am now the Fat Cat yelling “Get Off My Land.” I will be sure and give you two cheeseburgers but where and when do you want them?

Haha

fred

This one is better. You don’t even need to give me a cheeseburger.

[quote=“fred smith”]Fine Miltontownkid:

Now send me the link or add it to my profile so that I am now the Fat Cat yelling “Get Off My Land.” I will be sure and give you two cheeseburgers but where and when do you want them?

Haha

fred[/quote]
miltownkids.com/fred02.jpg

I suppose I could settle for a pizza too. :wink:

I don’t know though. Richardm’s is looking pretty nice.