Average Salaries of Locals

Just wondering what are the average salaries here for newly graduates in an undergrad degree?

Just comparing compared back to home in Canada how much the same jobs differ in pay.

I know average starting salary now in Canada for an engineer in mech, or oil is around 40-45k per year. Teachers in Canada also make average around 40k per year after graduating.

What are some average after degree incomes here?

Thanks,
Jeff

Around NT$25,000 a month for a fresh graduate. It’s also about that here in HK.

HG

NT$20k if they’re a bit smelly.

[quote=“Hwozdecki”]Just wondering what are the average salaries here for newly graduates in an undergrad degree?

Just comparing compared back to home in Canada how much the same jobs differ in pay.

I know average starting salary now in Canada for an engineer in mech, or oil is around 40-45k per year. Teachers in Canada also make average around 40k per year after graduating.

What are some average after degree incomes here?

Thanks,
Jeff[/quote]
A straight comparison of incomes probably isn’t very meaningful without a comparison of the costs as well. So don’t forget to factor in the lower tax rates and cost of living here. For example, Belgium has sky high taxes and living costs, but average salaries there are up there as well.

What would be a proper “Living” index when comparing across borders? Something like Big Mac PPP index?

Depends on who they are working for, for international companies based in Taiwan NT$50K+, for local only firms somewhat less, average is probably around NT$35K. Also bear in mind that that is usually minimun 14mths/year calculation and there may be other bonus’ and stock options involved.

Huang and LL are closer to the mark in terms of the national average. I’ve no doubt there are some companies that pay double the average to 20-somethings straight out of school, but I haven’t heard of any, personally.
I just did a story on this very subject and according to the gubmint, its about 22K. Where did your 35k figure come from if I might ask?

Which is down about NT$4000 from when I hired a recent college grad about 4 years ago.

I think $35K is more what someone with 5 years experience might earn.

I guess it also depends very much on the industry they are working in as well. The company I work for pays just over 50K with 14mths guaranteed, bonus’ are generallly also paid on top. We don’t have floods of engineers applying for positions, so other companies are paying similar. We also lose engineers after a year or two to higher paying companies, so unless engineers starting in those other companies are getting 300 or 400% raises within a year or two, they are not starting on 22K. Engineers with some experience joining us are not freaking out because they’ve hit the jackpot in salary either, so our levels are not unusual. 22K for 200Hrs/mth is just over 100NT an hour, thats not much more than 7-11 and if that’s really is the average there are engineers on much less, not very likely. What industry and who’s data was your survey based on?

It was the national average. Everything from button makers to quantum physicists I suppose. I have no particular interest in the figures one way or the other – I’m just pointing out what the official figures seem to be.
That the government’s figure are very likely a heap of made-up shite is entirely possible of course, but other folks can argue about that if they want.

The average president gets paid NT$800k a month I believe.

[quote]It was the national average. Everything from button makers to quantum physicists I suppose. I have no particular interest in the figures one way or the other – I’m just pointing out what the official figures seem to be.
That the government’s figure are very likely a heap of made-up shite is entirely possible of course, but other folks can argue about that if they want.[/quote] I think part of the problem is how salary is quoted. Looking at total income received over a year would give a much clearer picture, but as the calculation methods vary so much between companies, it’s hard to come iup with a true figure. Companies paying 22K a month may be paying 18mths or more a year plus stock options, bonus etc. and could well total the same or more as a compnay paying 50K per month with 14mths salary per year.

[quote=“SuperS54”][quote]It was the national average. Everything from button makers to quantum physicists I suppose. I have no particular interest in the figures one way or the other – I’m just pointing out what the official figures seem to be.
That the government’s figure are very likely a heap of made-up shite is entirely possible of course, but other folks can argue about that if they want.[/quote] I think part of the problem is how salary is quoted. Looking at total income received over a year would give a much clearer picture, but as the calculation methods vary so much between companies, it’s hard to come iup with a true figure. Companies paying 22K a month may be paying 18mths or more a year plus stock options, bonus etc. and could well total the same or more as a compnay paying 50K per month with 14mths salary per year.[/quote]

And then you get the shysters and cowboys who don’t pay their staff. Like the fecker I used to work for.