Avoiding traffic south on Friday nite B4 long weekend!

I want an alternative to driving on #3 or #1 south coming from #5 from Ilan…

Last long weekend Friday night took 2-3 hrs to go from Muzha to Hsinchu and the traffic didn’t clear until Miaoli or so…

This was at 1am!!!

We hope there is an alternative to find the #3 further south???

Avoiding that kind of backup for even 1hr but having to drive local roads at ~50kph would be preferable…

Anyone know a scooter route to Miaoli? or something like that? A route that crosses with a #1 or #3 interchange somewhere would be ideal…

wish me luck!

U mean the scooter route from Yilan to Miaoli ?

Driving a car, getting off the #5 from Ilan arriving in Muzha, going south on #3

Hitting a huge back-up (traffic jam) on the way out of Taipei is horrible!

Any road to avoid this is what I am hoping for…

Both the #1 and the #3 south were ridiculous last time…

Is there a good alternative road from Muzha to Miaoli? For example; a scooter route.

replys from experienced Taipei drivers welcome! I never drive up there! argh!

Ginny,

I avoid the traffic madness by either leaving early or later than anyone else. Most often, I put in for a day’s/afternoon’s leave on the day I want to leave and I’m at my destination before the rest of the crowd even gets out the office. I do the same coming back. Works for me.

Avoid the traffic, don’t drive. Take a train or plane the night before.

[quote=“Ginny”]Driving a car, getting off the #5 from Yilan arriving in Muzha, going south on #3

Hitting a huge back-up (traffic jam) on the way out of Taipei is horrible!

Any road to avoid this is what I am hoping for…

Both the #1 and the #3 south were ridiculous last time…

Is there a good alternative road from Muzha to Miaoli? For example; a scooter route.

replys from experienced Taipei drivers welcome! I never drive up there! argh![/quote]

I think you came out of the tunnel, went south on the 3 and than transferred over to the 1 after Hsinchu right?

Try it the opposite way…

Go through the tunnel. Take the #3 North to the #1 going south. Get on the elevated section which takes you all the way to Wuku. Take the #1 south through Linkou, Taoyuan and all the way to Hsinchu, and then get back on the #3 south.

Or, come through the tunnel, go south on the #3 to the Ankeng exit, turn left off the freeway to the 110 south, take that until you hit the Provencial Highway #3 south. You could theoretically take that all the way to Miaoli if you wanted.

Skip the Tunnel altogether, but take the 5 to the Toucheng/Chaioshi exit, go back toward Ilan, find the #7 take that to the Beihen entrance and take the Northern Cross Island highway to provencial Highway #3 going south. Do it at night to add to the adventure.

Question…Where the heck is your final destination?

You’re tongue-in-cheek right? That’s a fairly epic road.

I think the freeways are still probably your best bet. Alternatives are going to be long too.

Your main alternative would be to drive through Muzha down to Xindian, take the 110 up Ankang Rd over to Sanxia then hook up to the number three provinical highway and follow that down through Daxi to Xinzhu and Miaoli. Don’t think it’s likely to be faster though.

Brian

leave on Thursday?