BA in Education or Tesol degree?

I majored in English with teaching experiences but have no Tesol degree…
I had applied several kindergardens and public schools but
Still didn’t hear back from many.
It’s possible that they are just collecting resumes for now,
but I wonder how hard it is to get a teaching position in Taiwan…
I heard it’s fairly easy in Korea and Japan…but I’m not sure
about Taiwan.
If you have any comments on this , I will really appreciate them!

a) Nothing is as easy as it sounded from a guy you knew.

b) A BA in Ed sounds great, and teaching anywhere in Asia will make you so happy if you go back home to teach, if you pick up how to play games effectively.

c) Don’t be shy. If you come, they will employ you.

peace

A resume submitted on the internet is far less of a draw than one submitted in person. Many schools only hire those who do demos for them and don’t want to bother with the hassle of importing anyone.

Hmm, a degree you had to spend a year of your life studying for at a real university/college vs. a three-week course anyone with a spare couple thousand can pass by mail order? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

[quote=“jiyeoun11”]I majored in English with teaching experiences but have no Tesol degree…
about Taiwan.
If you have any comments on this , I will really appreciate them![/quote]

You might want to have someone check your writing before submitting any more resumes. Bilingual teachers are a great asset but if the person looking at your resume is a native speaker of English he may be extremely picky about things like grammar, punctuation and word choice. If your resume is anything like what you wrote here I think is pretty obvious why so few responed to your applications so far.

Oh, cut him a break. This is a discussion forum. You shouldn’t expect proper punctuation and crisp prose here. I don’t think what you post on a public forum is any indication of what you’d write somewhere else.

There is a time and place for casual writing. This is it.

It’s not really fair to make assumptions about a person’s formal writing from what they write here. If this were an email to an employer it would be a different story altogether.

Oh, cut him a break. This is a discussion forum. You shouldn’t expect proper punctuation and crisp prose here. I don’t think what you post on a public forum is any indication of what you’d write somewhere else.

There is a time and place for casual writing. This is it.

It’s not really fair to make assumptions about a person’s formal writing from what they write here. If this were an email to an employer it would be a different story altogether.[/quote]

Bob was not being mean. He made a valid assumption based, I believe, not on the sloppiness of the OP’s language, but the oddness. I can’t tell you how many resumes I’ve seen from ABCs and CBCs that were written in a similar manner to the OP’s post. I would lay a bet that he or she is not white and was not born in the west.

Sad fact is that many many overseas born Asians are not leaving university completely fluent in English despite having lived in the US or wherever since they were very young. I wouldn’t hire anyone who submitted a flawed resume, and certainly not someone whose writing suggests that he or she does not have complete mastery of the language.

I think the sadder fact is that many many so-called native-born English speakers (ie, not ABCs, CBCs) do not have complete mastery of the language.

The problem, as your post seems to suggest, is not limited to overseas born Asians.

All this said, I agree with your main point - resumes and cover letters ought to be treated as writing samples. They can reveal a lot about a person’s written communication skills.

I think the sadder fact is that many many so-called native-born English speakers (ie, not ABCs, CBCs) do not have complete mastery of the language.

The problem, as your post seems to suggest, is not limited to overseas born Asians.

All this said, I agree with your main point - resumes and cover letters ought to be treated as writing samples. They can reveal a lot about a person’s written communication skills.

Exactly. Thanks Muzha Man. The OP is obviously not a native speaker so he should probably check his resume with one before he submits it. I was trying to be helpful actually. Sorry if I came across as overly critical.

My bad, then.

I only see two real places where I’d suspect him of not being a native, but I would give someone the benefit of the doubt since I’ve made posts with errors like those-- I just usually go back and edit my errors.

Sorry for getting on you since you were trying to help out. :blush:

edit: after looking at the post again I saw more errors than I originally noticed. I think you’re right.

Oh so now you apologize! After insulting me in public like that and questioning my generosity of spirit with regards to this poor soul who just wandered in here looking for a little shelter from the storm, a little kindness and compassion in this cold and bleak waste of sensitive intelligence we call life… Be warned that I have every intention of holding a grudge over this until the end of time and if I ever see you slip up on anything, anywhere I will swoop down and lay waste of your tired and pitiful life just for the sport of it. In fact I think I will approach the moderators with a proprosal that you be banned immediately over this egregious breach of ettiquete. Sorry my ass! I’ll show you sorry!

[quote=“jiyeoun11”]I majored in English with teaching experiences but have no Tesol degree…
about Taiwan.
If you have any comments on this , I will really appreciate them![/quote]

But seriously folks…

His major was “English with teaching experience(s)”

He “had applied” several kindergardens. Not to his toast I hope. And he “had applied,” before what?

but Still…

If you have ,… I will…

I honestly mean this with no disrespect to the OP but the thing that worries me is that people can get degrees with writing skills like these. Those aren’t “whoops I slipped” sort of mistakes they are the sort of mistakes that reveal a lack of basic competency. As a bilingual person he could still be a great English teacher though. Just not a great writing teacher and he is probably better suited to lower level students… And he will need help with his resume I expect.

[quote=“gymnastkev”]I think the sadder fact is that many many so-called native-born English speakers (ie, not ABCs, CBCs) do not have complete mastery of the language.

The problem, as your post seems to suggest, is not limited to overseas born Asians.[/quote]

I think you are refering to native speakers who have problems with, or an incomplete understanding of the conventions of spelling, punctuation, etc. This is not the same as overseas-born children who never master the fundamental structure of English because there are too many 2nd language students in their school or neighborhood. Many have grown up listening to too much broken or non-standard English and never developed an ear for the way a native speaker uses the language.

For example, they are confused about tenses and article usage. Often they show a lack of awareness of how to use idioms properly. In Taiwan I have met many ABCs who (despite moving the US when they were 4) do not have a rich vocabulary and cannot express slightly uncommon actions such as “tuck and roll,” They seem unaware that their is a conventional phrase for such a thing and so make up whatever they can.

But we should stop talking about this. It is not helping the OP in any way.

Thanks for all your advices.
I finally decided to find other jobs such as translator or teaching
Korean…I’m Korean(but studied English )but realized that
I’m not qualified for teaching English in Taiwan.
( In Korea though you are not Native English speaker,
You could teach English to Kids at private institues.There are numbers of westerners out of Non English speaking conturies).

[quote=“jiyeoun11”]Thanks for all your advices.
I finally decided to find other jobs such as translator or teaching
Korean…I’m Korean(but studied English )but realized that
I’m not qualified for teaching English in Taiwan.
( In Korea though you are not Native English speaker,
You could teach English to Kids at private institues.There are numbers of westerners out of Non English speaking conturies).[/quote]

In Taiwan, native Taiwanese teachers with good English skills teach children as well. My wife does it, and very well. But yes, I couldn’t imagine her being able to go to Korea or Japan and teach English there.

Good luck.