Baby food shortage in USA

[FDA increases flexibility to import baby formula from Australia, New Zealand,…

Maybe exports from Taiwan or Japan can help?

1 Like

It’s a mad scramble. They ought to start cracking down on people reselling it online. They put some guy who bought a garage full of hand sanitizer at the beginning of the plague. They can do it for baby formula too.

2 Likes

There are some/many online making snark comments about “what… did women forget how to breast-feed”, etc.
Unfortunately, some women do have problems naturally breast-feeding their babies (no need to give the many reasons), and so do in fact solely rely on baby formula.
One chat forum I read actually gives home-made baby formula from the mid-20th century, but authorities are trying to poo-poo such ideas as “dangerous”, even though many people had to do that generations ago.
Sad situation for impacted families.

1 Like

Help is on the way! We save them!

He (or his handlers) is/are working on dementia time. This could’ve/should’ve been done 10-14 days ago as the signs were everywhere. It’s a great reactive move, not proactive.

Someone is trying to help out the situation. Just need those vitamins and minerals, though.

https://thenationaldesk.com/news/health/recommended-age-to-feed-babies-cows-milk-lowered-amid-formula-shortage-what-should-i-feed-my-child-alternatives-to-formula-american-academy-of-pediatrics-infants-should-i-water-down-my-childs-formula-health-news-mothers-essential-vitamins-minerals

KALAMAZOO, Mich. (WWMT) — A change in recommendation released Tuesday from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) now says babies as young as six months can drink cow’s milk as a temporary alternative to formula when it’s not an option.

Doctors are also questioning the change in the recommendation. Dr. Megan Sikkema, a pediatrician at Bronson Methodist Hospital in Kalamazoo, Michigan, said cow’s milk hasn’t been recommended for babies before because it lacks essential vitamins and minerals.

“That should really be a last resort and used when there isn’t anything else to feed their infant; really for as short of a period as possible. As soon as we can get formula back on board, that is ideal,” Sikkema said. “One of the risks with cow’s milk in infants is anemia. So, if you’re starting to give them cow’s milk because there is no other option, you want to be sure to make sure you also add iron-rich food.”

A much more sophisticated perspective than “dementia man dumb”

This is what happens when you err on the side of caution on a very large scale, I guess. Not much choice to close down and clean up coming off the plague. We’ll see if the Biden response got enough ahead of it to soften the blow. Given that I have a new grand-neighbor, I hope so.

1 Like

Hong Kong already experienced this 14 years ago .

After the tainted formula scandal in China a few years ago, the Dairy exporters in New Zealand and Australia did a roaring trade exporting their products to China (and a lot if what is sold in Taiwan Supermarkets now originates from NZ).

Even in Australia, the local Chinese Taobao ladies would walk into a Supermarket, load up a Shopping Trolley with all the formula they could find, thus essentially stripping the shelves bare (Just like what happened with the Toilet Paper rushes over the past few years). That of course ended up with their customers in the PRC.

It seems that one company in the USA had a large chunk of the USA market, and now that Company has fallen victim to producing a tainted product.

Not good for the USA of course, but it also opens the door to importing from reputable sources from Overseas.

Good for the NZ and Aussie farmers, food in general getting expensive and both are food exporters for the most part and the USA too except for Baby mix.

1 Like