Babysitting on Work and Holiday Visa

Hello!,

Im currently saving (even more) up for my work and holiday trip to Taiwan.
I can find jobs and work there for 3 Months max per Employer (questions is rather if someone will take me for such a short time and if I even will find something)

That’s why I saved up a good amount of money to last me through the year. However a smart man once said “money does not stink” and I thought about the possibility of working as a babysitter.
I am a state approved Nursery School teacher in Germany. So I can deal with kiddos. From my vacation in TW I know some Foreign familys which could “advertise me” in their english speaking circle (i do not speak mandarin).

Question would be - whats the average pay per hour and am I even allowed to earn money as babysitter? Cause they’ll pay me cash.

I would also be happy about any job reccomendations you could give me for the working holiday visa, since i am only allowed to work 3 months MAX per Employer. Any ideas? I have a Place to stay already (Taipei)

Hope you can help me, greetings from Germany.

Poor Germans! It’s true, max. 3 months per employer.

http://www.boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=3745&ctNode=783&mp=2

However, they should not work for the same employer for more than 3 months. In addition, holders of working holiday visas should not work for the entire one year of their visit.

I don’t know about the childcare market. While you’re here, I suggest reading this thread for general information about the WHV.

You may be qualified to work as an “educare provider” i.e. kindergarten teacher. I can’t say that for certain, but it’s possible. See here for a long, complicated explanation:

Short version:
You don’t need a work permit, so the question is just whether or not your license for nursery school teaching is acceptable in Taiwan. (Teaching a foreign language class would still be illegal, but it would be the kindergarten’s problem, not yours.) The funny thing is, if you ask the education authorities they might try to avoid answering the question due to suspicion that you want to work as a language teacher (which, again, is illegal for kindergartens but not for teachers).

Being paid cash is legal, as long as you don’t evade tax. (Keeping paperwork makes it easier to prove what you did or didn’t get paid, of course.) Depending on what time of year you arrive in Taiwan, you may be a “resident” for tax purposes, which will almost definitely result in you paying less tax.

1 Like

Thank you for this informative Post!

But Teaching english is out of the picture, since I’m not a native speaker.

As I said, kindergartens aren’t supposed to have foreign language classes.

That said, if you’re at least as qualified as the average Taiwanese is (at any given job), then you’re at least as qualified as the average Taiwanese is. :idunno:

There is some interest in the German language in Taiwan. Perhaps people here can offer suggestions:

Working at reception in a hostel is probably the easiest kind of job to find with your visa, if you don’t mind earning something close to the minimum wage.

Made a Post there, German sections seems to be abandoned tho.

I saw a lot of Hostel offers, Problem is they include the living. I want to stay in Taipei for some time and have a friend there which would let me sleep in his flat free of charge.

Working Holiday in Taiwan seems very complicated in comparison to other countries.