Bachelors at NTU vs. UCI

You will do just fine in Taiwan if you decide to come.

At least in the US, NTU is very well known especially in the sciences and especially for grad school. If he does reasonably well at NTU, he will have many choices in the US for grad school.

1 Like

Most college students are not serious.

It is very small by AREA, not mid-sized at all.

That’s neither a plus nor a minus. My point is it’s different. Coming from America he would be completely out of his elements amongst local kids.

That’s nothing special. Every school in the universe has student clubs.

I would argue that area is not that important. The size of Taiwan’s economy and its population make it an important, relatively powerful country.

That’s neither a plus nor a minus. My point is it’s different. Coming from America he would be completely out of his elements amongst local kids.

Based on what he has said about himself, I think there is a good chance he can adapt. It would be a very important part of his education.

That’s nothing special. Every school in the universe has student clubs.

I can only speak from experience. My North American university had some student clubs but they were nowhere near as diverse and active as NTU’s. I didn’t know anyone who participated in one and I knew plenty of people. NTU’s clubs (and those of other universities) are very different from the ones at my college.

Update: Much to my surprise, I got offered the scholarship a few days ago, long before when I thought it would come out. I also got accepted into NTU yesterday. I talked with a friend’s parents who have experience doing undergrad in Taiwan and a master’s degree in the states, and after that discussion I am most likely going to choose Taiwan.
I am going to visit UCI one more time before I make my decision though so we’ll see if anything changes.

2 Likes

The science profs in NTU are top notch many of them also maintain labs in Academia Sinica. I think it will work out either way as you can always do grad degree in the US.
The cost of living in Taiwan is pretty low and yeah financially it will be a lot easier with the scholarship.

2 Likes

Why are you going for a Chinese-taught degree? You didn’t apply as an international student? Why not?

If you’re Taiwanese, then how are you eligible for the Taiwan scholarship? Isn’t that only available to foreigners?

I did apply as an international student, but there’s no English-taught degree available for Chemistry. I figured doing a degree in Chinese would be the perfect way to put my Chinese to use after learning it seemingly aimlessly for so long.

2 Likes

Yeah English courses are far too few got Bachelors. If you’re sure you’re gonna do grad school Taiwan is a no brainer honestly.

1 Like

Congratulations! You should be proud of yourself. You have two excellent schools to choose from. Your choice will be a good one no matter which one you choose. Remember that what you do at college is far more important than the prestige or reputation of the school. The school is just a platform. It is up to you to perform well on it.

I personally think you should choose NTU. The combination of excellent Chinese and a STEM degree would be powerful as would the international experience you will acquire.

1 Like