"Back of the Bus" for unmarried longtime Taichung Alien Permanent Residents

Flight attendants can’t be married?

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Nothing to see here, move along

Marital status is not written on an APRC

This entire thread reads like this to me:

Tyranny prevails when good men(people) do nothing.

And its true. Its not about 20nt and income levels, its about discrimination. And if foreigners look petty fighting this, the issue isnt foreigners being pissed off about 20nt, its about local being too ignorant to see we are angry about discrimination. The sollution is simple, educate the population. All of it. And without discrimination and innequality. This has zero to do with class and monetary anything. anyone against that can go cure their covid with some bleach for the betterment of our species.

9 Likes

The point I was trying to make is I am of the belief that some Taiwanese people view a JFRV as higher than an APRC. Not necessarily in a legal sense, although this thread suggests that could be the case, but because a JFRV makes it immediately clear that the holder is married.

It’s no biggie. Just a theory I have. Maybe it should be in a thread of its own.

1 Like

I agree it’s not about the money. It seems the various levels of Taiwan’s government are hell bent on letting us know we are only a guest with no real rights to anything. I have no idea what is with this extreme shift in thinking these past few years, but it is very concerning

3 Likes

Hmmm? I honestly don’t see a negative shift at the national level.

Maybe it’s being in Taichung that’s the variable here?

Guy

2 Likes

The shift is with all levels

The not being able to get the stimulus vouchers until the very end when there was a policy change in November.
The Taichung bus situation
The ubike thing they everyone had to kick up a stink to rectify
The various agencies saying they cannot compel banks and telecoms to give us service
Gifting special foreigners dual citizenship but only them
Refusing to allow us subsidies on various city services or places like national palace museum
Refusing to allow discounts to senior or disabled foreign residents on thsr
Allowing masks to be Sent to overseas citizens families but not if you’re a foreigner
Subsidized electric vehicles but not for foreigners

These are specific regulations that specifically exclude foreigners. We aren’t an oversight. Even APRC means didly

I dont mean this in a malicious way but a lot of people are able to bury their head in the sand bcause they have a wife that’ll hook them up with all they need. Some of us don’t have that luxury and hit roadblocks that legal foreign residents shouldn’t be hitting.

13 Likes

Were APRC holders more included previously than recent days?

This one isn’t exactly right. The rule was that the people overseas receiving the masks has to be passport holders. My wife, a Taiwanese citizen, tried to send some to my family. She couldn’t. This was to stop the sending of masks to China as I understand it.

Perhaps I read your comment wrong and you were saying foreigners can’t receive them

1 Like

A lot of the things on my list are newer things that just came available recently or a few years ago. The trend I see is that when new schemes are set out by government, foreigners are specifically spelled out as excluded. This is a change whereas before it may have been an oversight but now it is obvious that it is well thought out.

5 Likes

No you’re right, passport holders needed to be the receiver.

2 Likes

I’d say it is a progress. They at least partially recognize and consider about foreign residents in Taiwan, which they didn’t previously.

2 Likes

I’m not sure a shift but certainly it seems like a systematic effort to first automatically, by default ,exclude foreign residents here from benefiting from new policies or services and you name it it seems there’s very been very little progress over the last ten years.

Banking and mobile and online services have NOT improved at all for foreign residents. It seems there has been zero progress.

The only thing we really ‘benefit’ from are our lao bao and jian bao on equal status as citizens , old wins going back many years.

The government introduced an elite dual citizenship scheme and made a huge deal about it, but only approved a paltry couple hundred people in a population of 23 million people. There are two clear messages being sent by that.

The subsidy thing was obviously some group or minister thinking carefully about how to exclude the vast majority of foreign residents. Which doesn’t even make any sense since it was supposed to stimulate the local economy !

And excluding foreign residents from public transport subsidy in Taichung really sucks.

6 Likes

Progress my arse. They are by default excluding foreign residents, sometimes from things they already enjoyed.

2 Likes

This was the answer to the entire thing right here. It’s tiring but the this kind of thing will continue to be common as most are unaware that it happens or simply don’t care because it doesn’t impact them and the rest delight in the fact that foreign residents were excluded.

3 Likes

It’s easy to include everyone. It takes effort to exclude specific minority groups. They chose the inconvenient latter, which speaks volumes.

As @Brianjones pointed out, if the initial subsidy exclusion wasn’t clear to anyone then you really do have your head in the sand.

6 Likes

Well, we have a whole thread about that topic. We did notice!

With the voucher scheme, what I noticed is actually someone spoke up for all APRC holders at some meeting asking to include them. And yes they were finally included. I call this a win.

With the new insurance scheme tied to using youbikes, ARC/APRC holders in Taipei (perhaps elsewhere) were blocked from using Easycards. We fought back and got what we wanted. I also call this a win.

There’s a lesson here. Sometimes we need to get organized and fight for equality. It will not necessarily be handed from above.

So back to Taichung City and their discriminatory bus fares. What are you guys going to do about it?

Hint: get organized.

Make this another win. :grin:

Guy

2 Likes

I thought it was clear that I was referring to noticing the reasoning behind why decisions to exclude foreigners were made, not noticing the decisions themselves. It’s quite easy to notice when all other taxpayers are being given benefits and you aren’t.

But, yes, getting the decisions reversed is a win of sorts.

2 Likes