Back to Back Visitor VISA

Dear All,

This is my first post in the forum.

My passport allows me to stay in Taiwan for 30 days upon entry. I’d like to know if I can do this over a 12-month period, i.e. get in and get out of Taiwan upon expiry of 30 days.

If I should apply for a Visitor VISA, which I believe is for a period of 60 days, would I be able to obtain a back to back VISA upon expiry of the 60 days ?

Thank you.

Question 1: Yes, you can leave and re-enter on a 30 day visa each time.

Question 2: Yes, if you left the country and applied for another 60 day visa at a TECO office upon expiry, you would be able to apply for such a visa “back to back”, although you are at the mercy of the TECO agent you come across each time for how long you can continue to do so. After about a year or so, they tend to get suspicious. :laughing:

Thank you, Citizenk.

May I know what TECO stands for ? I would like to locate one in Bangkok, where I now reside.

And you meant as long as I apply for the VISA outside Taiwan, I should be able to get it, though it all boils down to the officer’s discretion. Am I right ?

Taiwan Economic and Cultural Office? Something like that. They are the Taiwanese missions abroad where you can apply for visas. There is one in Bangkok; do a websearch, you’ll find it.

You should be able to get it provided all your paperwork is in order and you haven’t been doing it repeatedly for too long. So, yes, you are right.

[quote=“mezziahmac”] I would like to locate one in Bangkok, where I now reside.
[/quote]
The TECO in Bangkok is in Empire Tower, near Sathorn/Silom. It’s on the 20th floor, if I remember correctly.

If your passport is filled with Thai entry stamps - as mine was - you might get hassled by the ladies working at TECO when you apply for your Taiwanese visa. By the way, as someone who also made the move from Bangkok to Taiwan I have to ask: are you sure you want to do it? Taiwan is sure to disappoint after life in Thailand.

[quote=“barfomcgee”][quote=“mezziahmac”] I would like to locate one in Bangkok, where I now reside.
[/quote]
By the way, as someone who also made the move from Bangkok to Taiwan I have to ask: are you sure you want to do it? Taiwan is sure to disappoint after life in Thailand.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

Well, I’d like to give myself a chance and see how it works out. I’ve been to Taipei 3 times and I feel climate and shopping are much better than Bangkok. I’m rather disappointed with Thailand in the sense that Thais are too conscious about ‘face’.

And what about you ? What is it about Taiwan that you feel disappointed ? Why did you move to Taiwan ?

[quote=“mezziahmac”]
Well, I’d like to give myself a chance and see how it works out. I’ve been to Taipei 3 times and I feel climate and shopping are much better than Bangkok. I’m rather disappointed with Thailand in the sense that Thais are too conscious about ‘face’.

And what about you ? What is it about Taiwan that you feel disappointed ? Why did you move to Taiwan ?[/quote]
The weather is great in the winter here, it actually gets pretty cold. In the summer it felt even hotter than Bangkok! Thai people are indeed very conscious about face, but you’ll find the same thing here in Taiwan; perhaps even more so here.

I lived in Bangkok for more than three years, and though I loved Thailand, Bangkok was starting to feel a bit stifling. My goal in coming to Taiwan was to a)save some money b)do some hiking and c)spend a year or two to finish my BS.

The cost of living is so high here that I haven’t saved much; in fact, I actually earned more money in Thailand. The mountains are beautiful here but working six days a week doesn’t allow much time for hiking. I will, however, complete my BS soon.

Here’s how Bangkok compares to Taiwan on a few issues:

• Bangkok has a much lower cost of living
  • BKK has much better food
  • BKK has a much better nightlife
  • BKK has much better restaurants
  • Taiwan has much ruder people
  • Taiwan has disgusting beaches
  • There is a thick blanket of smog covering Taiwan almost all of the time. Pollution seems even worse than in Bangkok.
  • While there are less cars on the road here than in BKK, the people in Taiwan are MUCH worse drivers, meaning that traffic is atrocious here.
  • Jobs in Bangkok are much better (at least at foreign-managed companies); bosses offer more benefits and treat their employees much better in Thailand than in Taiwan.

That’s all I can think of at the moment, but I’m sure there’s more. I live in Taichung though, so you might have better luck in Taipei. I just know that after a year in Taiwan I’m searching for ways to return to Thailand - not Bangkok again, but Thailand to be sure.

EDIT:
I should add to my list of complaints the following: I don’t regret coming to Taiwan, and if your goal is simply to experience a new country and culture for 6 months to a year than by all means go for it.

People’s lives in Taiwan revolve around ‘face,’ too. It’s a face culture, like many other cultures in the region. I don’t think you’ll find any difference in that department by moving to Taiwan.

Wow, you’re gonna lurv Taiwan then. :noway:

:laughing:

Barformcgee, what is a BS ?

I plan to rent an apartment at Danshui @ Taipei, which is less than NT$10,000 per month.

I agree that there are most Western food in Bangkok compared to Thailand. I kind of enjoy the Chinese food at the Night Market in Shilin and most of the road side stalls. So food wise it’s not a problem, more like a plus point for me.

The face-saving part is the one that interests me. I find the Thais “not straight” in the way that they approach a problem. Or should I say when a problem arises, they “avoid”. Admission of fault is the last thing that you will see a Thai do. From cleaners to security guards, you’re not supposed to tell them they did wrong even if they did so. Thailand will continue to be poor with such a mindset.