Bad experience with traffic department, and discriminatory policy against APRC holders

No. But what happens in other countries is irrelevant to Taiwan’s laws. Singapore requires those naturalizing to renounce ALL foreign citizenships held. Taiwan only the one you want to use on your ARC so if you have two or three can change ARC to the one you want to renounce. Mere mortals like me… I was cursed with renunciation with no possibility of resumption when I naturalized.

1 Like

im not saying its irrelavnat, im pointing out its not as easy or straightforward like your post of “you can naturalize without renoucning, read the relevant thread”

1 Like

I never wrote is was easy or straight forward. As fifieldt wrote many people are simply not aware it is possible. He has done it. Was it easy? I can’t say I have not done it that way.

It was not easy for me either. Was it possible? Sure. Same for you.

You missed an opportunity to quote ‘Life wasn’t meant to be easy’ :joy:

1 Like

I wait for you to do so. You love using it now. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

But the availability of that path depends upon one’s country of origin, doesnt it? Not everyone can renounce citizenship then apply to get it back … that’s outside the control of the Taiwan government.

1 Like

Sure each country has its own rules. I could not renounce and resume when I naturalized so it was a one way adventure. Cursed with that decision to make I was.

Of course Taiwan government does not control citizenship laws of other countries.

1 Like

While the citizenship/naturalization process remains opaque, at least to me, and doesn’t follow other policies of reciprocity (i.e., matching what you country of birth/citizenship offers to Taiwanese), I do believe some things are improving:

1. Driver’s license:

Before: the first time I applied it was like pulling teeth. The requirement was a full year on the ARC before it expired. Of course that is impossible, given the processing time and the time needed for the exam and road test. With a lot of skepticism, I was given a license that expired on my birthday of the next year. The second time I went there, I was handed a seven year license.

After: I just went to renew the license (after noticing it had already expired a year ago). I also had to update my new APRC number and address. I was thinking 麻煩, but everything was super smooth. I spoke Chinese, but I felt that even basic English would have worked. Oh, the best news: my license is renewed until my 75th birthday. If I make it that long…

1. Phone company (中華電信)

Before: even after over a decade in Taiwan and having previous contracts with the company, about six years ago I needed a guarantor to cosign. I was lucky to have a friend/colleague to help with this.

After: a couple of weeks ago, I went to a service center to pay my bill. The clerk noticed my screen was messed up and mentioned I should get a new phone. Although the contract was not due, I got the same deal. The clerk didn’t quite know what to make of my APRC having no expiry date. In the end, he checked the box "本國籍” (as opposed to ”非本國籍”)。Not a huge deal, but it felt right. Of course, no guarantor needed.

1. Credit cards

Before: I actually applied, about seven years ago, for a Cathay United credit card from Costco. It is more of a debit card, actually, and can collect points to use at Costco, even though my membership has long expired. Dealing with the bank always took so much time waiting in a queue and trying to explain myself. The staff on site, at Costco, were powerless to help in any meaningful way. At the bank, they always asked me to use their (ancient, almost inevitably inaudible) phone to call customer services :roll_eyes:

After: While not a huge improvement, Cathay send a “cube card” (same functions, new number). This was a few months ago. Last week a representative from Costco contacted me to let me know that the card would no longer be usable after August 7. She was quite eager to get me to sign up for a Fubon Costco-branded card, as this is the bank they’re now affiliated with. So, fairly easy if I wanted a second credit card (which I don’t). I called Cathay. They said that they could activate my new “cube” card over the phone. Just to be sure, I went to the bank and they directly activated it. No need to wait in line. In and out in less than five minutes.

So, in my estimation, things are improving.

1 Like

The cathay united costco card is a credit, not a debit card, u can rollover ur balance, choose to pay only the minimum payment, and there is no immediate direct debit at the time of purchase, so it is not a debit card.

Beware that on 8-aug onwards at costco u won’t be able to use anymore cathay’s cards, only fubon new one or cash.

1 Like

APRC’s are set for 2099.12.31 expiry date, because the machine readable format on the back of the APRC requires it.

Turn your APRC around on the bottom in the middle you will find 991231.

6 Likes

In a few yrs that will be a problem

2 Likes

All APRC holders in Taiwan will need to renew them at the same time. :joy:

4 Likes

No country does this. There is no such thing as reciprocity when it comes to citizenship. Lets not include EU as they have a separate policy for EU member states only.

I do not think I will be alive in 2099.

u don’t have APRC, so no issues for u.

You think you will make it another 67 years to 2099?

Thanks for the clarification. Indeed, you can spend up to your limit and even ask them to raise it in certain circumstances. I once had it linked to automatically pay monthly from another savings account, thus my confusion.

Those on a Cathay Costco card will need to figure things out by 8/7. You can expect a phone call from the Costco branch you applied at.

1 Like

Cathay already informed everyone when they shifted out the Cube Cards. Just walk into a Coscto store. By the way Fubon have been much better with giving out much higher limits than Cathay. Cathay initially gave me 30K which I upped to 60K. Fubon gave me 250K another poster here got 300k from Fubon

2 Likes

Glad that everyone should know what’s up.
I haven’t been inside a Costco in over 4 years. I also thought the new Cube card was useless, as I didn’t see my name and number on it. Just a white card. So I just threw it in a pile of other letters.

Originally, I received a limit of 60K based on my meagre salary (I forget what kind of evidence I had to show) and have not asked for (nor wished for) an increase since. I tend to spend over 30K a month, pay my bills on time, and might be eligible for a higher limit, but I fear that “shopping therapy” would bleed me dry. The salary of prof at a national university is much lower than most people imagine :sweat:

The last time I was inside of a Costco was when I first moved back to the US in 2013. It was a Saturday and the place was a zoo.

I swore an oath that day never to return. Now I just eat out.

1 Like