Bad skin disease

I ran into this poor dog a few weeks ago while walking my own dogs and haven’t been able to stop thinking about it. It’s in such a horrible state that I really want to do something for it. However, having three dogs of my own already, I can’t bring it to my apartment for fear that they will catch whatever skin disease this poor thing has. Does anyone know what she might have from the picture or know of a good vet that might let me put her up while she’s getting treatment? I thought she was a giant rat at first, but then I realized she is actually a dog. She looks like a pure bread Dachshund or some kind of similar mix. She reminded me of those dogs that AT in Kaohsiung rescued a while back from that crazy lady. If she can actually grow her hair back like those dogs did, I think she would be pretty adoptable. She has really nice teeth and was friendly when I approached her to feed her. She actually had a rubberband around her neck that I removed before it could cause any serious damage.

A vet near the Taichung would be most helpful or at least any advice on what I could do for this poor thing. Like all of us, I am constantly passing by dogs that I wish I could do something for but this one is particularly hard for me to let go. Any suggestions are really appreciated.

You haven’t provided the correct link to the pics. Go to the pic, right click and hit properties. You’ll see the address there. Copy it and paste in your post, then highlight and click ‘img’.

Do that, and I can offer some advice on the skin condition. :wink:

And there is a vet in Taichung who helps strays - if no one here posts it first, I’ll find out his contact details and pass them to you.

So glad to read that you got the rubber band off! Please help this dog some more. We’ll give you as much support as we can.

Sean

The pictures do not work for me. :frowning:

Skin diseases can be a bit difficult to cure. Medicated shampoo and adequate meds are essential regardless of the diagnosis. Decent nutrition is a must, too.

Where is the dog, and can you try to post pics again? If you don’t know how to post pics, pm me, I will help you.

Ok, the picture problem seems to be worked out. Thanks to my girlfriend on that one.

As you can see, she has maybe 1% of her hair left (the dog, not my girlfriend). I’ve heard of scabies doing this kind of damage, so maybe it’s that?? I don’t really know so I wanted to see what more knowledgable people thought. Thank’s for the speedy responses so far. I hope that the pictures are good enough to make some kind of judgement.

OK, the pics are working now - poor thing!

I couldn’t say for sure, but it looks like several of the dogs we’ve rescued, all of whom had scabies and a fungal infection. It could be demodectic mange, but I’d go with scabies/fungal.

The good news is that this dog can be treated very easily and will make a complete recovery.

Here’s my dog Prince, before with scabies / fungal infection, and after treatment:

Get this dog to a vet. As Bobepine says, he’ll need medication, medicated shampoo (may have to wait a while before bathing), and good nutrition. But you will see results in less than a week; then it’s a matter of waiting for the fur to grow back.

He should be kept separate from other dogs for a couple of weeks; see if he is healthy enough to get vaccinated right away, too.

I’l get the number for the vet in Taichung. Looking forward to seeing your before and after pics, Bokgwai. :wink:

Wow, those pics are more than encouraging. I can’t believe that’s the same dog. I just don’t know where I can keep this thing while it’s being treated. I can’t take it home that’s for sure. I just managed to get one of my dogs adopted and I’m finally getting my life under control again after rescuing four dogs at pretty much the same time last year. My neighbors are hell to deal with and one of them just grabbed one of my cats and dumped it in the mountains today. I have to try and get her back tomorrow. My girlfriend and I have actually been attacked by a different neighbor because he didn’t like me having so many dogs. It’s just going to cause chaos if they see me with a new dog. I’ll have to work on finding a place, but a trip to the vets is first on the list.

Thanks for the suggestions and pics. I hope this dog can make the same kind of recovery.

Oh geez… That dog is in rough shape… :frowning: Hat’s off for keeping an eye open, Bokgwai. :notworthy:

You need to let your neighbours know you are not to be pushed around like that.

My old neighbours didn’t like me having three dogs, then four, six, ten, fourteen, or eighteen dogs, but they never touched my property or threatened the dogs or my cat; they went through the guards, my landlady, or the authorities, which peeved me at the time, but on reflection was far better than other methods they may have employed. But I made it clear from the start that I would not back down to threats or petty-mindedness; any such incidences or threat of it and I would go and give the guards or neighbours what for. You should do the same. (They all became friends after).

Let them know you will listen, but also will not tolerate any moves made on you, your family, property, or animals. They will take note; they won’t want a confrontation, believe me. That’s why they’re being underhanded. Your neighbours think you are an easy pushover because you can’t possibly have local connections; put a note up asking for information regarding the identity and the address of the person who took your cat. No one will step up, but the dick who did it will know that you are taking the fight to him and will soon back off; he will ultimately think you might start doing such acts against him or his own.

Anyway, back to the dog: speak to some vets in your area and see what kind of price you can get. PM minou or plasmatron and see which vets they can recommend; they are active in the Taichung animal-welfare arena. Hold a fundraiser amongst your friends and their friends; I guarantee you will raise more than enough to cover the costs, including boarding, from even a small, private event (give the surplus to minou; she rescues stray cats). Get your vet to help find the dog a home.

And do keep us posted as to the little guy’s progress - you’ll be amazed and extremely pleased at what you can achieve here.

Good luck!

Sean

Thanks Sean,

As always, you have offered me some great advice. I didn’t get a chance to talk to the neighbor today, but I’ll make it a point to find his stupid ass tomorrow. The whole neighborhood seems to have been in on this catknapping affair and I’ve just about had with all of them. My girlfriend confronted one neighbor today, and the lady wouldn’t even make eye contact with her. The cat wasn’t technically mine since she was a stray and hadn’t been microchipped. However, I did go through the effort to get her spayed and paid for it out of my own pocket and have been feeding it since then. Several months ago, all the neighbors were feeding the cat and didn’t mind it at all. Then, they became sick of it because it was “hanging around too much” and wanted to dump it out in the mountains. We specifically told them not to touch the cat and that if they didn’t want it around, we would make arrangements to find it a home elsewhere. But the prick went and grabbed her while we weren’t around and now says that he’s not sure he can find her. I’m assuming he didn’t kill it, but I highly doubt that he’s actually going to tell me where it is. I just want the thing back so I can relocate her to a less asshole rich environment. We’ll have to see how he reacts to me tomorrow.

As for the poor dog, I’ll try to get in touch with the contacts you gave me and find a vet that will be willing to help me out. I’ll do the best I can with this and hopefully everything will go well. I’m not bringing it to my neighborhood though. I’ll most likely end up killing one of my neighbors and getting deported.

Thanks again,

Ian

I have a female in a similar situation outside my school. What’s worse is she has 4 puppies that are also looking rough. She trusts me and follows me when she finds me. I feed her and she come to expect it now, haha. The other day she followed me into a department store(where I get her food) and right up the stairs to the second level, you should have seen the crowd part as they stared with this confused look. I want to get her to the vet, have to be careful with the little pups too though because they need mom right now. Pics to follow

Fed one like that too…she needs the food to be able to feed her pups. The meds in some cases can enter the milk…not always. Ask the vet.

The sad critter in the pics looks like a scabies and a fungal/ bacterial infection. Scabies causes extreme itching, particularly in the ears. The constant scratching creates the breaks in the skin that allows for the secondary infections to occur. Combined with the compromised immune system due to poor nutrition, the poor buggars barely stand a chance.

Two- Three injections one week apart…is all it generally takes to get rid of scabies. Demodex/Mange…is another story, but it too can be treated. Generally strikes younger animals…all dogs have it, just that when Demodex is expressed, the microorganism is not being controlled by the immune system. It appears to mutate the skins’ appearance in extreme cases…many animals get dumped for “Pi Foo Bing”…cost next to nothing in most cases to solve the problem.

Good luck with the little bugger.

you guys are awsome for taking an interest in these dogs. I got one with demodex and it took me some time to cure him, but now he is just gorgeous, and that was after many vets told me that it is rarely cured. After he turned one it got better. I don’t know if this is what helped, but I fed my guy spinich salad with olive oil and eggs and some fish and a bit of viniger in it. anyway that with the meds seemed to do really well. Also those fungal infections are a pain in the butt so I completely understand why you would want to keep your dogs away from the infected one. If you happen to have a balcony it might be an alright place to keep the sick one while you medicate her. Best of luck and keep up all the good work you amazing, caring people. And maybe point out to any of your so called religious neighbors that they are nothing but a bunch of hipocrits

Well, I’m just glad to know that she can probably make a full recovery and grow her hair back. I spent months trying to get a local stray adopted and she had all of her hair. I couldn’t imagine trying to get a dog with only half of its hair a good home. She looks like a Dachshund, so maybe that will give her some bonus points when it comes time to find her a home.

I’m actually going to go check on her now and make sure she is still there. It looks like I’ll be able to take her to a vet this weekend and see what can be done. I hope to have some good news to report soon. Good luck to those who are dealing with similar cases.

Good news about the dog. I couldn’t find her at first, but then searched around a bit and found her not too far away from where she usually is. Man, what a difference in energy she had today. She could barely walk when I saw her the other times, but today she was actually jumping around and pretty damn happy to see me. It seems like someone has been taking care of her a bit too. There was an upside down chair there with a little blanket and an empty bowl. Her skin actually looked a little better, although she still resembles a
well-warn leather couch. There was no one in sight however, so I hope someone doesn’t get mad when I take her out of there. I’d like to at least let this mystery person know that she is going to be well taken care of.

More news to come after the weekend.

These are 2 different dogs and it breaks my heart to see them suffer but I’m spread thin already. Bokgwai, how much and how long to get that little guy healthy?

I saw that one that keeps on avoiding you Sean.(in Hsindien mountain…) He had a red collar on today…weird.

well, believe it or not, she is still at the vets as I write this. It turns out that she has a weird case. Her hair loss was not caused by any skin disease but rather by a hormone or steroid deficiancy. I’m still trying to figure out exactly what the vet has been talking about, but in terms of her health, she is fine. She is on some kind of supplement and will probably have to stay on it for the rest of her life, but she is happy and healthy otherwise. I can actually take her out of the vet now, I just have to find someone to take care of her. Her hair is starting to grow back a bit, but it will probably be a long time before she looks normal. She’s a sweet dog though and I’m sure anyone who takes her will love her.

But for those dogs in the picture, I guess you can’t be sure what they have until a vet checks them out. They could have any number of problems and who knows how long they will need to be treated. But just take look at Sean’s pics of his dogs and you can see that anything is possible. It’s hard work, but when I look back at helping the dogs that I have come across, I never feel any regrets. So, good luck with them. If you want the info of the vet that is helping my dog, just let me know.

well, believe it or not, she is still at the vets as I write this. It turns out that she has a weird case. Her hair loss was not caused by any skin disease but rather by a hormone or steroid deficiancy. I’m still trying to figure out exactly what the vet has been talking about, but in terms of her health, she is fine. She is on some kind of supplement and will probably have to stay on it for the rest of her life, but she is happy and healthy otherwise. I can actually take her out of the vet now, I just have to find someone to take care of her. Her hair is starting to grow back a bit, but it will probably be a long time before she looks normal. She’s a sweet dog though and I’m sure anyone who takes her will love her.

But for those dogs in the picture, I guess you can’t be sure what they have until a vet checks them out. They could have any number of problems and who knows how long they will need to be treated. But just take look at Sean’s pics of his dogs and you can see that anything is possible. It’s hard work, but when I look back at helping the dogs that I have come across, I never feel any regrets. So, good luck with them. If you want the info of the vet that is helping my dog, just let me know.

A quick update on Doo-doo (that’s what we’ve come to call her). The vet is now unsure that she will ever grow her hair back. She’s had tests and everything and they say that they know what the problem is, but it doesn’t look like the hair is going to come back easily. Now I’m worried about finding her a home since it looks like she is going to be hairless for a long time and maybe forever. I could try another vet and spend tons more money, but I don’t know where that is going to lead me. She’s healthy and happy, but she just doesn’t have any hair. Not sure what to do now.

She needs a healthy diet that assists her immune system. Our Zeppelin had the same problem (immune system / hormone problem) and it took a year, but his fur is now full and shiny. Wanna swap her for another of ours? Can you get her up here?