Baggage Allowance & Other Questions

question I am going to take EVA airline to Taiwan and I guess they allow 2 suitcases and 2 carry ons? How much do they charge for extra suitcase? I am going to move to Taiwan and will ship some important stuff I wonder if I should mail it or carry it with me on airline…and how well do they deliver the suitcases? can I insure it or something. anything I should know about. actually I will travel from east coast to west coast then onto taiwan so I need to insure for the domestic flights too or something.

btw what’s the difference if I enter ROC with ROC passport and US passport. I am now usa citizen and would like ROC citizenship so I guess I should enter with ROC passport?

Enter with your ROC passport. A friend of mine used their US one and had to leave after two weeks.

Regarding the mailing fee, be careful, depending on what you are mailing there might be a customs tax, but if you carry it with you then their won’t be.

Also, can you wait to ship it by surface mail? Then it might be cheaper. As for the exact calculation check with the airline or their website, then check with the post for the same weight.

I heard from friends that you should be able to send “unaccompanied” luggage when you have a flight ticket (depends on the airline, though). This seems to be much cheaper than paying overweight and possibly cheaper than shipping, as well (and faster?). I’ve never tried it, obviously, your luggage goes on more or less the same flight as you do, you have to deliver it to the airport much earlier than check-in, and you have to organize in advance. This is what friends who work at Lufthansa told me.

Maybe it would be worth calling up EVA Air and enquire? However, no offence meant, but EVA Air is not exactly Lufthansa, maybe they haven’t even heard of that let alone offer the possibility.

HTH
Iris

It’s best to contact the airline directly with your questions.

I just flew to Taiwan on EVA. Each addition piece of baggage is around 80 something bucks.

I just posted the above message…i want to add that I would recomment you carrying your stuff with you on the flight if it’s not too much trouble. The reasons:

1. Cheaper than shipping your stuff by mail.
  2. Guaranteed to arrive
  3. Arrives instantly when you land.

I carried an extra couple boxes with me (in addition to the 2 allowed) and had no problems.

aceman how about instead of suitcase and luggages can I mail boxes with airlines?
and if I ship my box with post office it might be be guaranteed? are there a lot of people who ship stuff overseas and many didn’t arrive or something…thanks

Dave

[quote=“okaythen01”]question I am going to take EVA airline to Taiwan and I guess they allow 2 suitcases and 2 carry ons? How much do they charge for extra suitcase? I am going to move to Taiwan and will ship some important stuff I wonder if I should mail it or carry it with me on airline…and how well do they deliver the suitcases? can I insure it or something. anything I should know about. actually I will travel from east coast to west coast then onto taiwan so I need to insure for the domestic flights too or something.
[/quote]

Call the airline and ask them! And if you are mailing something from the US probably you should ask the post office about your other questions, they will know.

k thanks

Welcome

IMHO there is no restrictions on the number of items/suitcases but a restriction on the weight, usually 20kg for economy and 30 for business class (+/- 5kg). Carry-on luggage is restricted to one piece per person, limited by size and weight though usually they don’t check that stricltly unless it obviously does not conform to those restrictions. An additional laptop, camcorder or ladies bag is usually allowed, too.
I found it depends a lot on the airline and the person behind the counter, some go by the book others close both eyes.

Pricing for excessive baggage depends on the airline and the distance (i.e. your destination).
I paid e.g. NT16,000 for 15kg from Malaysia to Germany (the actual overweight was 32kg!) - big (costly) mistake - should have thrown away all my dirty undies. :wink:

Air freight could be cheaper, check with the carrier for details.

and if I ship my box with post office it might be be guaranteed?

You can register and insure the items, or use a courier service instead.
For a complete move I would use a professional moving company who will take care of all the necessary arrangements like documents, packing / unpacking etc. though it might depend what you actually want to ship (fragile items or just clothes?).

How come passengers to and from the USA can bring so much baggage and all I get is 20kgs? With hindsight I should have flown to New York and then on to Taipei - would have been cheaper than shipping my stuff separately…(?)