Bake your own bread!

I was craving decent bread and was on the hunt for a breadmaker, but they are not easy things to find here.

After some encouragement from a good friend I had a go at making some myself. All I have is a shitty 1500nt Sampo bench top oven, but after around 10-15 loaves I can humbly say every one has been a winner.
Takes about 15 mins I guess, not including cooking time.

Fresh bread sliced off a Rustic Wholegrain Loaf everyday :sunglasses:

You can get bread machines in costco, sub NT$2k, but itā€™s not great, kinda old fashioned I guess, but at least itā€™s affordable. I get quite varied results from it, one time the bread comes out great, another itā€™s this thiny hard loaf, not sure why, as I use about the same amount of stuff every time.
Anyone know where I can find rye flour in taipei/taoyuan as all the places I knew of (a local healthfood shop close to where I used to live in taipei, citysuper, etc) doesnā€™t have it any more and Iā€™ve checked in Jasons, Mitsukoshi and Breezeā€¦ :frowning:

I got some at Wellmanā€™s, a while back.

I spotted an organic supermarket type store in Taoyuan today. On Daxing Rd, just west of Jung Jeng.

I think there is another one about 3 blocks north of Daxing, about the same distance west of Jung Jeng.

I havenā€™t been to either, but you might want to check them out.

Interesting, not that I have any idea where that isā€¦ sorry, but Iā€™m really lost hereā€¦
Any chance to either get it in chinese so I can search on google maps or something that I might know thatā€™s close by?
Last time I got some rye flour was in HKā€¦
Oh well, thanks for the heads up anyhow

Rye flour is sold in an organic shop near veterans general hospital, close the regular bus stop from VGH towards ShiPai MRT station.
You could also try one close to Taipower Station, on Roosevelt , not too far from the crossing with DaAn St.; someone here might be able to give better directions.

Cheers,
YingFan

Cool, thanks

The City Super in the Zhongxiao-Fuxing (SW) Sogo has this again: NT$120 for 1 kg of organic rye flour. I saw it there tonight.

datā€™s cheep. Iā€™m off to get sum. riy flowa rox.

Thanks for the heads up, Iā€™m going to have to pass by there before they run out that. Not too bad price either.

[quote=ā€œTruantā€]I was craving decent bread and was on the hunt for a breadmaker, but they are not easy things to find here.

:[/quote]

Picked up a panasonic breadmaker today, $5500, very happy with the initial result!

Ouch, thatā€™s expensive, the one in Costco is less than NT$2,500ā€¦

I shove mine in those clay flowerpots. Works a treat. Cost like NT$20 each or less.

And then what? I mean, sure itā€™s hot here (at least in the summer) but I bet even you canā€™t bake bread in the sunā€¦
Nor do I think you can afford to eat beans to the extent that you have your own natural gas powered steam ovenā€¦ :smiley:

I see what you mean. Yeah, I then stick the flowerpots in the oven.

So the breadmakerā€™s not shoved into the flowerpots. Huh. You had me wondering.

:raspberry: another person that has a real ovenā€¦ itā€™s not fair I say! :cry:

Yeah, my wife was warned off that one for whatever reason. Quality on this seems good, if it lasts itā€™ll be worth it i figure.

Well, Iā€™ve had the one from Costo for well over a year now and itā€™s still going strong. Sure, I guess I only use it once every week or every other week (I use my XXL toaster oven at times as well), but knock on wood, not had any problems with it and Iā€™ve abused it a fair bit with both rye, raisins and seeds. Most of the bread machines here look really old fashioned compared to the new thingies Iā€™ve seen in Europe. You can get an almost real loaf of bread these days with the dual kneading machinesā€¦
Oh well, so much for living on the bread backside of the world :smiley:

[quote=ā€œTheLostSwedeā€] You can get an almost real loaf of bread these days with the dual kneading machinesā€¦
Oh well, so much for living on the bread backside of the world :smiley:[/quote]

Wait, wait, wait! You mean the bread from these things is no good? Iā€™m just starting to explore the possibilities.

HG