Bamboo Bastards!

My friend has a small pub in Taichung. He’s been running it for 6 months now.

No problems thus far.

Last night, at another venue, a Bamboo rat walks up and accuses him of flogging Mary-J, by the pound, at his pub. He replies that that aint the case, he runs a pub, period.

Gangster asks barman for a knife. Barman seeks, barman doesn’t find.

Damage done, my friend is messed up. What do these cunts want from him? Money, I presume…

Anyway, he hot-footed it to another town for the night. We’re all in limbo, not sure what to do next…

Btw, our Four Seas friends declined to get involved, stating that this was out of their league :frowning:

Your advice, experience, commiserations welcome…

Get a security camera. Get several.

It might be just a small potato (it’s only one guy right?) trying his luck with someone he thinks he can scare easily.

I used to know a guy in taichung who owns one of those companies that promotes new apartment buildings. Before construction starts there’s a temporary showroom and sometimes they do a special show at the weekend with free food, balloons and a minor celebrity. Anyway, he told me once that sometimes a couple of guys will show up at one of his sites and say they represent gang X or mob Y and will demand protection money. If this happens he asks them to tell him the name of their boss so that there can be no confusion and neither he nor they will get into trouble. Invariably, they will say some bullshit and go away never to return.
Now I am not saying that this is what your friend should do - he obviously doesn’t want to screw around with gangsters even if they are just small potatoes - but he needs to find out somehow if this guy is for real or just some thug trying it on. I think your friend did right to lie low at least for a short time if only to try and figure out the best thing to do when he (they?) comes around next time. It’s a tough one.

gregsoul wrote:

[quote]Gangster asks barman for a knife. Barman seeks, barman doesn’t find.
Damage done, my friend is messed up. What do these cunts want from him? Money, I presume… [/quote]
So the gangster was not given a knife resulting in your friend (Chinese? Foriegner?) being “messed up.”
I don’t understand how he was messed up.
Why did he leave town? Didn’t he ask the obvious question, “What do you want? What is your point?”
Seems like a lot is missing from this story.

He was messed up mentally - ie. shaken up.

He left town because he felt he was going to be killed or assaulted - ie. he removed himself from a dangerous situation.

He didn’t ask what the guy wanted, but rather suggested they talk it over the following day (yesterday), in a calm, sober manner.

Questions answered?

In any case, the ganster dropped by my friend’s pub last nite and apologised. He blamed a combination of Johnny Walker and Special K for his idiocy the previous nite. Bought everyone at the bar a round.

Nonetheless, we’re all very wary of him.

while it pays to be wary, perhaps this was just a stab to find out if your buddy maybe was doing something like that?

In a situation such as you described, how can one tell the guy is a bamboo rat or gangster or whatever and not just a fat, drunken, betel-nut chewing taxi driver asking questions?

Mother T wrote: [quote]In a situation such as you described, how can one tell the guy is a bamboo rat or gangster or whatever and not just a fat, drunken, betel-nut chewing taxi driver asking questions?[/quote]

Quiet simple really. Most gansters have a dragon tattoo on their bottoms.

Is your friend foreign of Taiwanese?

You ask the most insipid questions sometimes. Why not ask if he has a butch haircut?

Not to mention “of Taiwanese” – and you supposedly teach English? :unamused:

Quiet simple really. Most gansters have a dragon tattoo on their bottoms.[/quote]
And as my father would say, ‘all guys with long hair and an ear ring are f@gs!’

gregsould please help me…what is (are)?
a Bamboo rat
flogging Mary-J
Four Seas friends

[quote]gregsould please help me…what is (are)?
a Bamboo rat
flogging Mary-J
Four Seas friends
[/quote]
Bamboo rat = Bamboo Union gang member.
flogging Mary-J = selling weed
Four Seas friends = Four Seas gang members.

Bamboo Union and Four Seas are possibly the two most powerful gangster organisations in Taiwan. Pub shakedowns a speciality, especially down in the boonies.
Four Seas “friends” probably means the bar owner is paying them protection.

Thanks.

[quote]You ask the most insipid questions sometimes. Why not ask if he has a butch haircut?

Not to mention “of Taiwanese” – and you supposedly teach English? [/quote]

A relevant question.

Still on about my Butch Haircut, Squid, or aren’t you imaginative enough to think of something else?
Also, it seems you like to pick up on the most ridiculous things to attack people personally with, like typo’s or spelling errors and even steep so low as to attack someone because of their looks.

Your other flame war finished, Squidles? Not content with your last argument so you feel you have to pick on somebody else?
I bet you are sat behind your computer right now with one of those machine guns - bet you feel real hard- no pun intended.

Hey!

No one should be mean to Dangermouse! He’s said to be dashing.

For that reason alone, lay off Squidbreath. :smiley:

Dashing is such a rare quality these days.

Trying to run through the list of small, foreign-owned pubs opened in the last 6-8 months in Taichung.

Curious. Please PM and let me know who’s having trouble.

[quote=“rooftop”]Hey!

No one should be mean to Dangermouse! He’s said to be dashing.

For that reason alone, lay off Squidbreath. :smiley:

Dashing is such a rare quality these days.[/quote]
He isn’t dashing, more of a scamperer I’d say.

Once you’ve touched these people they dont go away. The police or another gang is not the way to go. If they find out you went to the police then your doomed. Contacting another gang is just trading one headache for another.
All you can do is ride it out.