Banged up for 12 days for bomb threat he didn't make

Wow. I don’t think anyone else has mentioned this. If they have, my apologies.

This kid was imprisoned for 12 days before they realised he DIDN’T make a bomb threat phone call to his school (when the school finally noticed that they had forgotten to honour daylight savings on their answering machine (the kid had actually phoned an hour before for something totally different)).

passablynews.com/index.php?s … 1175830780

I hope he sues the pants off them.

EDIT: The comments at the bottom of that article are great too.

Heh! They put the school principal’s personal web page up there “by popular demand,” including her email address.
I bet she WISHES her inbox was full of nothing worse than bigger knob spam right about now. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Great work, detectives:

Only a few years ago we used to bang people for 12 years just for being Irish.

Oh, I found more info here (bit more detailed):

pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune … 01066.html

12 days? That’s nothing.

In Texas, a 14 year-old was sentenced to 7 years in prison for pushing a hall monitor (and she served 1 year of that sentence before she was released). But that was Tex-ASS, the Execution State. And besides, she was black. The same judge sentenced a white kid to probation for burning down his house.
chicagotribune.com/news/loca … i-news-hed

Makes Taiwan seem sane.

[quote=“irishstu”]Oh, I found more info here (bit more detailed):

pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune … 01066.html[/quote]

Ha! Hempfield High School sucks! Everyone I knew from there sucked, too. Dopes.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]12 days? That’s nothing.

In Texas, a 14 year-old was sentenced to 7 years in prison for pushing a hall monitor (and she served 1 year of that sentence before she was released). But that was Tex-ASS, the Execution State. And besides, she was black. The same judge sentenced a white kid to probation for burning down his house.

Makes Taiwan seem sane.[/quote]

This is the part that gets me:

[quote]Nearly 90 percent of juveniles incarcerated inside Texas youth prisons were sent there on indeterminate sentences that could run as long as their 21st birthdays. But many of those inmates become eligible for release after serving only nine months, if prison authorities are satisfied that they have completed all the steps, or “phases,” of an elaborate behavioral modification program.
[/quote]

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]12 days? That’s nothing.

Makes Taiwan seem sane.[/quote]

I read that case. She’s now in the process of being released. That town she’s in has a long standing history of racism that influence law making processes.

I can’t see the attraction myself, but I do admire your stamina! :astonished:

This could never happen in America because of the constitution. The 14th Amendment clearly sets out that no man shall be deprived of l… Oh.

:blush: :frowning: The American constitution. She ain’t what she used to be.