Banqiao

How long it takes depends on where in Taipei city you want to go. The MRT only runs till midnight, so be on the last train or turn into a pumpkin, Cinderfella.

[quote=“Feiren”]Banqiao (Banqiao) is the administrative seat of Taipei County. I think some foreigners like living there because it has an MRT line and you can rent a brand-new apartment with an elevator and modern amenities for NT$15K or less. Those are big advantages, and the downtown shopping area is also pretty convenient with a Warner Village etc, if you like that sort of thing.

But you need to focus on the fact that it is in Taipei Co. where standards of living, infrastucture, and cultural life are far lower than Taipei City. Crime is higher, it’s noisier and dirtier and many more scofflaws. Some areas are unbelievably crowded and claustrophobic, traffic is nasty, and there are still a fair number of home factories.

There are no clubs or bars of note in Banqiao. If you like to go out, you will be spending quite a bit of money on time and money on taxis into the city.[/quote]

Crime being higher is relative, though: it’s not like “bad parts of town” in big cities in most other places in the world. The likelihood of being mugged, for example, is practically zero.

It’s also just across the river from Taipei, so it’s closer to downtown than some places like Neihu, Muzha or Xizhi.

Edit: There are 5 MRT stations in Banqiao: Jiangzicui, Xinpu, Banqiao, Fuzhong and the Far Eastern Memorial Hospital

OK good - thanks guys… The more info the better :slight_smile:

The trains here in my city stop running at midnight too… I guess if I get stranded in Taipei I can always just sit in a cafe and drink coffee until sunrise, or find some poor unsuspecting xiao jie to give me a place to sleep :stuck_out_tongue:

Chris - are there any ferries in Banqiao? That may be a faster and more pleasant way to get into the ‘big(ger) smoke’ :slight_smile:

You can check english.trtc.com.tw/ for more info…

Basically it runs until midnight. Starts up the next morning at 6.

Well, it depends on where you want to go in Taipei. I think you could probably get to Wanhua in about 5 minutes, but I doubt you would want to go there.

Depending how far you will be in the depths of Banciao (shudder!), it takes about 10 minutes to get to Taipei main station. From there it would take another 15 minutes to transfer and arrive at Guting in the university part of town. From there a 10 minute walk to cafes/bars/restaurants in the Shida area.

If you stay on the same line, it will take you another 10~12 minutes to reach the Dunhwa station in heart of East Taipei, the shopping and nightlife area. It would take another 5 minutes plus a ten minute walk to reach the Xinyi Special District, the Singapore of Taipei.

Taipei City has multiple centers/districts so it’s hard to give you a short answer.

Banciao’s not that bad. It’s definitely a step down from Taipei City, but it’s much nicer than Sanchong , Xinzhuang, or Zhonghe (neighboring cities in Taipei Co.)

Like this lovely specimen? :laughing:

[quote=“pubba”]Thanks Flicka - its starting to sound better :wink:

Apparently some nice hiking trails and temples in the area too which sounds good[/quote]

Yeah, just take the MRT line down to the last station and there is a great network of trails starting 1km from the station. Go on for hours and hours.

This wonderful hike is about 15-20 minutes from the station.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 513#559513

Thanks Feiren! Great information - much appreciated

The trips you described sound like no problem at all. I regularly travel 2 hours each way here to visit family, so a quick MRT ride and a stroll wont be any problem at all :slight_smile:

Thats a good site too - very helpful. Im sure I could live in Taipei for 10 years and still get lost, so I am not expecting too much when I first arrive

If you see a gormless, goofy looking foreigner walking around - be kind and point me in the direction of an MRT station please :wink:

Cheers Mucha Man - I want to get into hiking when I get to Taiwan. Used to do heaps of it when I was younger and it will be a great way to see the sights and get some peace now and then :slight_smile:

Theres a warner villiage in Banchiao? A Jasons? Where the hell have I been? Where are they? I live in Banchiao!

There’s pretty much everything you asked for in Banchiao. It’s big and many places are an easy hop to Taipei. Rents a little cheaper than Taipei, and it’s a bit dirtier.

Not much here for western restaurants. there are a couple of “western” pubs and there are some underground clubs where locals frequent. Not too nice for foreigners, if you ask me.

You don’t have to follow Taipei’s weird garbage rules, there’s lots of work here, you can get away with stuff. You can go to Taipei easily. There’s lots of new stuff being built so I guess it’s growing up. Easy to get to the mountains.

I like it. I give it two barbecued chicken feet up!

‘scofflaws’—people park in your driveway or set up smelly bean curd stand next to window with apparent impunity

‘home factories’–someone sets up a cloth dying operation in first floor of your building flooding your home with fumes

[/quote]

Is that one from your portfolio?

:laughing: no mate… I saw it on this forum somewhere and it gave me a chuckle or three :wink:

Thanks for the definitions of scofflaws and home factories :slight_smile: Now that I think about it, I saw many of them when I was there 3 years ago…

Sounds like Banqiao will be a good introduction to life in Taipei - solo style. Last time I lived in Taiwan, I had my close friend as translator and his family bent over backwards to make me feel at home…

No such hand-holding this time :wink: Bring it on!!

Bancio nightlife? Lots of it around but . . . Jason? I think either I have gotten into a rut and missed this . . . or the poster has this area confused with another.
There is much to see and do in this area.
Pubs:
0204 - I used to go here often. It’s in a back alley off Jongshan Rd. Section 1. There is another pub around the corner that seems to have gotten more popular lately but I havent been there yet.
Bravo Banciao - This place is (was) a short walk from Far Eastern MRT. Basically, get off the MRT at Far Eastern. Go out any exit and walk back in the same direction that the train arrived from Banciao area. Go to the first light and turn right. The street curves around in what appears to be a residential area but at the first corner is a pub called Bravo Banciao. I haven’t been there in a couple months but it should still be going strong. Goods sports bar with lots of westerners.
Day and Night - Go out exit 1 or 2 of Fuchon MRT and cross the main road running next to station. Go past the front of HiMart. At the next corner is Starbucks which is on Jhongshan Rd. Turn right and go to the next light. You will see Wall Street Language School. Turn left. Look up the street and you’ll see a 7-11 on both sides of the street (GuanChien I think) Day and Night is just past 7-11 on the left. Inexpensive drinks but not many westerners.
Grand Forward Hotel - Again Fuchon station exit no. 1 or 2. Outside, just look up and around. You’ll see their sign on the top of the building. This is an upper scale hotel bar. Very comfortable lounge seating but not much action.
KTV - all manners and descriptions - some with special services for a price. (so I’ve heard)
FOOD:
Grocery shopping in the basement of FE21 department store. Good selection of western food and a deli - expensive!
Night market stuff at Banciao Night Market. Get to Wall Street Institute mentioned above and turn right. Go straight down the street until you see a bridge approach. The night market lane is on your left and cant be missed. Lots of people and vendor stalls.
Bancaio has a multitude of resaurants all over the area.
A previous poster mentioned the hiking trails just south of Banciao. Get off exit 2 at the end of the South Blue Line (Yongnin MRT) Go up the street where 7-11 is on the corner. Just follow this street around and up. Suggest you go during the day as this area is very dark and secluded. I’ve never had a problem but I dont take too many ridiculous chances either.
PM me when you get to town and I will be happy to give you a grand tour of the area. It really is a good place to stay for a few weeks. Main Station is a 15-20 minute MRT ride so you really are in a good spot.

[/quote]

gosh if thats you? you might be better off headin for the bay area :help: :help:

That’s where the new Jason’s is.

Bravo Banqiao is a horrible place, BTW.

Jasons? Got it. Bravo Banciao? Well, you haven’t been to my “other” favorite haunts. I agree that Bravo has it’s downside. I hate it when some little girl is micro-measuring my liquer with a shot glass and the prices are a bit high. However, the sat. sports stuff is great and I like the company I meet when I’m there. They also have taken good care of me by keeping my scoot overnight and sending me off in a taxi. It doesn’t happen often but I remember who my friends are when I’m f***** up.
So . . . Bravo? I would give it 6 on my drink-o-scale. It has pluses and minuses but is still a place in Banciao to meet people, watch some sports, have a drink or 10 and still lip crawl home.

Thanks again - this is great advice. I now have a rough plan for my first few days in sunny Banqiao.

Enigma - thanks for your kind offer of a tour - will definitely send you a pm once I arrive and get set up - cheers mate! :smiley:

Tommy - nope that is definitely not me… :laughing:

I have a webpage featuring all the highlights of Banqiao and Tucheng. Check it out.

Bancio? (Shudder) glad its not me, mate. That is the part of this place that reminds me of scenes from blade runner. (2nd shudder). All of a sudden my cozy spot in Muzha feels a bit more like paradise. Good luck to you.

Hey cool! Thanks wix!