"Barefoot" Shoes for Kids

Our toddler, 4 in June, likes to go barefoot on the playground, which is by all “Western expert” accounts I see out there a good thing. But then there are the overprotective mother and grandmother. “If shoes come off, you go straight back home!” I usually let him take off the shoes where I think it’s save, like in newer playgrounds, without too much sharp edges on the ground etc.
He stepped on something the other day and had a red spot under one of his toes, so of course I am blamed for putting him in danger… Now, what would be a compromise? Flexible “barefoot” shoes with a soft thin sole seem to be a thing in the West. Has anyone experience with or bought those type of shoes in Taiwan?

I do know that “Vibram five fingers” that were popular about a decade ago for barefoot running were proven to be terrible for one’s feet, legs, back (body in general). I kept the pair that I bought and use them in situations where barefoot would be preferable, but isn’t ideal (like kayaking but needing to get out and step on potentially sharp/not nice surfaces). I have no idea if those are still made in kids sizes, given the pushback that they got, but I do think if your kid is otherwise running around barefoot, those would be the best way to protect the bottom of their feet (since they’re basically a toe sock with a sole)

Other than the boots/high tops in that video (which he doesn’t like and tosses to the side), those don’t look like “minimal style shoes” so much as “unsupportive pieces of fabric with rubber bottoms disguised as soles”. As someone who does a lot of hiking (and have nearly broken my ankle a number of times just walking on the uneven surfaces of Taiwan sidewalks and streets), I would hesitate to do anything but “supportive shoes”. I don’t really agree with the argument that there’s some conspiracy out there preventing children’s feet from growing properly or that the shoe industry wants people to buy expensive shoes that damage a child’s development. It’s more that children aren’t able to recognize when a shoe is uncomfortable or doesn’t fit properly because they’ve never known anything else. “Minimalist shoes” don’t necessarily help – caregivers need to be aware of what the child’s feet need and make sure they’re not wearing shoes that don’t fit them, a difficult ask, considering how quickly kids grow!

1 Like

Source? I have had the exact opposite experience, they actually fixed all of those problems for me!

1 Like

Of course I am not looking for shoes worn throughout the day on long walks or hikes. Just shoes that allow the kid to feel the ground, get better grip when climbing, and give those toes more wiggle room.

My wife doesn’t like my kids wearing shorts because they might scratch up their legs. If I let the kid go barefoot, I’m not sure what she would do.

2 Likes

It’s controversial. If you search “vibram five fingers bad for you” you’ll get a lot of “here’s how I damaged my x and had to stop running for y amount of time” stories, right up against “if you transition correctly, you won’t have those problems”. There’s an issue with the “science” of running. Have we evolved in the developed world to need supportive shoes, or is it because we put shoes on our feet too soon?

1 Like

I would say go barefoot or get vibram five fingers (I just checked, they do make them for kids). Any of the shoes in that video are simply providing a platform for the foot to slide around on. If you’re going to put shoes on a child’s feet, which, as someone who never wore shoes as a child, I too question the need for, other than not having glass and such ending up in the feet, they should provide proper support

2 Likes

Running injuries with shoes with no cushioning is a bit different than the shoes “were proven to be terrible for one’s feet, legs, back (body in general).”

2 Likes

I personally know multiple people who ended up with serious injuries like fractures in their foot bones and severe back pain from vibram running. After taking months off and a bit of physical therapy, they got “proper traditional” running shoes and went back to training and the injuries never came back.

Were they doing road running or cross country? I guess the surface matters.

as does form, adaption, etc.

1 Like

Started with running in the grass and on mulch paths, following the vibram transition advice to “slowly build up”, then eventually did road running.

Yes, there’s a lot to consider. If we all wear supportive shoes our whole lives, suddenly wearing unsupportive shoes isn’t going to turn out well — we’ve changed how we move based on what our footwear is pushing us to do.

There’s this from Runners World, which showed that there was an indication of injury when using MRI: Study: Vibram FiveFingers Lead to Greater Risk of Foot Bone Injury | Runner's World

Im not saying you shouldn’t run in five fingers, im just saying there’s a lot of controversy over them. It seems the more of a runner someone is (by which I mean the more miles/kilometers someone puts in each week), the worse off they are. At the same time, plenty of people swear by them. So should a child wear them? Again, if the alternative is them running around barefoot, I don’t see why not.

I have a pair of Merrell Vapor Glove shoes. They look a little too much like ballet shoes, so I don’t wear them much. They are comfortable. I also have Merrell Trail Glove and they’re my faves to kick about in.

It’s always the issue of being overprotective vs careless.
In your case @hannes, I think there’s no right or wrong, as long as the kid grows healthy and happy.
That being said, the shoes you suggested seem a good compromise to me. It’s not like they’ll be replacing their daily shoes, so I see no problem with it.

2 Likes

I have one but there are no good as I have two finger a little stick together.

I thought wearing shoes was mostly for the below reasons:-

1. Stubbing your toe is a fate worse than death

B. When you’re feeding the dog/cat and you drop wet food on your toes then basically you need an amputation

mcmvii. Stepping in animal shit in bare feet is also worthy of just taking the whole leg off.

1 Like

Where did you buy the Merrell Vapor Glove shoes?

Bought them here:

New model looks better:

1 Like