⚾ Baseball - MLB | Cleveland announces name change to Guardians

I wonder how long the “Woke” movement has been going on. It would be interesting to know if say 100 years ago were there any changes of names to avoid offending certain groups. I would guess yes , but not as common as now.

So by that logic, if a small minority of cowboys thought the Cowboys didn’t live up to their standards or were denigrating to them, their name should be changed as well?

It’s not an ethnic group, so I would say it’s not the same. Do my people need to be the name for your funball team? There’s a lack of respect there. A better comparison would be the “Fighting Irish” of Notre Dame University, but there are some pretty clear differences there as well.

I see your point, but what does ethnicity have to do with being offensive to the individual?

Do we really have to open that can of worms?

That’s getting a little deep. To me, it’s reasonable to think it could cause offense, to some. For that reason, I see how it’s a reasonable business decision not to use the name.

Worried this will become a critical race theory thread? :joy:

Guardians? They rejected my proposal. I recommended they change it from the Cleveland Indians to the Cleveland Steamers.

What a woke dump they have done on the chest of baseball.

Uhm, now we can continue to wipe the history of the Indians from our culture…one sports team at a time. The Indians of the Ohio River valley weren’t no weaklings. They didn’t choose the name because Indians were easily dominated. “Guardians?” Of what???

How about “The Cleveland Americans”. The native Americans were the first right? :grinning:

Seems kinda weird that a team named the Indians isn’t primarily made of Indians.

You should see the stories in the Ohio history books my dad got many years ago. They’re from the 1800s and sitting at home in proper storage. I’m afraid to touch them now. The stories about Simon Kenton and his relationship with the indians were especially great.

1 Like

The first what? Players of team sport?

I’m reading one now written in 1955 that I picked up at an estate sale. Maaaaan, I didn’t learn THAT stuff in school. Like the Dutch gave guns to the 5 Nations and they beat the shit out of everyone from the Mississippi to the Atlantic and NC to Canada. Or the fact that they’d torture captives from other tribes because it gave them a chance to bring honor to their tribe by…wait for it…not screaming as they filleted them or roasted them slowly over a hot coals.

Where did you get the number “two”’ @Marco ? 500 people were asked and if it was asked in 50 states you think that means they would have asked on average two people?

1 Like

Americans calling native Americans as Indians is an insult to geography, maritime skills and intelligence.

2 Likes

Yeah, the real history is so much cooler than garbage taught in school. My junior high history teacher nearly failed me when I insisted Leif Erikson was the first European in NA.

1 Like

guy sails the wrong way across an OCEAN in the 15th Century on a boat made of toothpicks and you think he’s an incompetent idiot.

Jesus blesses the weak minded with narcissism I suppose.

1 Like

These were both solid reads

https://www.amazon.com/Bloody-Mohawk-American-Revolution-Frontier/dp/1883789664

https://www.amazon.com/Jacksons-Way-Andrew-Jackson-Western-ebook/dp/B00JDTKC5C

1 Like

Oh god I screwed it up. I meant to write ten.

@Marco shouldn’t post and walk.

1 Like