⚾ Baseball - Taiwan |Tainan/South

I prefer to watch it on TV. Although it is now really simple to watch CPBL games online. It’s just that you’d be at least 5 to 10 seconds behind the TV broadcast.

TV broadcasts are split between 3 channels if you get regular cable TV. There are the Brothers on VLsports, channel 71, 72. Lions and Monkeys are on Eleven Sports, channel 73, 74. The Guardians are on MOMO, channel 75.

For live streaming there’s the official CPBL.tv which you have to pay
https://www.cpbltv.com/

If you use Twitch, you can also watch the games there

To watch it for free, there’s Line TV. Line is the largest chat app in Taiwan.

There’s also Yahoo, but they also broadcast the Brothers’ and the Guardians’ home games.

There was English broadcast last year, since it was the only professional baseball to have started the season early 2020. I’m not sure if that would continue.

A great play in English broadcast from last October.

Fans here usually cheer for the MLB team when there is a Taiwanese star on the team, like Wang and Wei-yin Chen.

I’m surprised how knowledgeable people are about baseball in the States and Japan.

I once had a CPBLTV subscription but I don’t watch it much anymore, although I would love to discuss it here. The most interesting thing about watching the games is to see former MLB and minor leaguers perform.

The game experience is much more involved than MLB games, as people here have mentioned.

I assume the season starts in March or April? Which coincides with my arrival in Taiwan. Believe me, I will be consuming alot of baseball so you’ll have at least one more person to discuss it with. Do you still keep up with the MLB? Whats your team?

1 Like

Thanks for all the info! You’re saving my life big time. Maybe one day I’ll see you at a game, I definitely owe you a few beers! :joy:

1 Like

The season starts and ends concurrently with the MLB, although there will be a break this year for the Olympic qualifiers and the Olympics.

Live online CPBL broadcasts in English for the 2020 season were available here:
https://twitter.com/ElevenSportsTW/status/1323154965435572225

Stay plugged in here for places to watch in the upcoming season.

I only follow the MLB casually. I’m more of a college football/college basketball person and I watch the Taiwanese national team for baseball.

Unless nations around the world get their acts together can put an end to this pandemic, I wouldn’t hold out high hopes for the Olympics this summer.

So far this year there hasn’t been confirmed local COVID-19 transmission where the source cannot be traced. If unfortunately that changes, and we get to Level 2 Pandemic control, then the season might get postponed.

Last year CPBL waited until CECC gave a green light for holding events larger than 500 people.

I used to at least go to 2 games per season. Due to COVID-19, I didn’t go to any. :disappointed_relieved:

Bojung rips a double off Masahiro Tanaka, all the way to the wall!

The announcer called Tanaka the Son of God.

1 Like

Did you find good batting cages ? (You wanted the ones with a machine, or someone pitching to you? Anyways this one I like before: Sandlot Baseball 盛樂地野球訓練中心 - Home | Facebook ) As far transport, yes a Taxi is good, there are also buses (city) if you want to spend less to the Science Park area but make sure you know the schedules. The rail station (Science Park) may require a car to get to to and from without a very long walk in most cases. NCKU is pretty much central (Back side of the Main Station) and I think a better place to live for eating, drinks and night time fun or anytime fun and easy train ride (30 -50 min) to Kaoshuing or points North.

I’m curious. What do Taiwan baseball players make for income?

Found it - average salary 1.5 million NT$, with a minimum of over $800K NT$. Not bad for a Taiwan salary, not good for a professional athlete though.

1 Like

Yes, not good at all. A few years ago players took under the table money, its a worry still. Taiwan sports is small and it’s hard for all (baseball and basketball) teams to make money if they even make money at all. Most locals rather watch NBA or overseas sports so it’s hard to make money here in local sports, add to that a lack of interest. It’s not like in Aussie where Melbourne events can (used to) seat 100,000 people. (Aussie and Taiwan have almost the same amount of people). A Taiwan event would be lucky to get 10% of that. Here in Kaoshuing the most of seen at event I think was 50,000 for concert. Link: National Stadium (Kaohsiung) - Wikipedia Last time I went to the Maroon Five concert (47,000 people) which was huge for Taiwan.

Much better than median minor league players in the u.s. get.

1 Like

Yes! and with COVID seems no improvement there (I did a search and saw MLB Baseball salaries also dropped). I myself do not watch as much baseball anymore or go watch even in person as the Kaoshuing team is gone and now prefer watch USA/Canada NBA. But I still do like to play in the winter (summer is too hot in TW), but this is getting harder too as less people play.

Are there kids or teen baseball leagues in Taiwan?

In my area kids, teens and adults like me. I think also depends on the area, in the Taipei there is just is no space to play and less interest.

Sounds like you got some outdated information.

Some of the foreign players get paid close to the Major League minimum of $400K.

Taiwan hasn’t had a game fixing scandal in over a decade.

Do you want join and play, if coming to Southern Taiwan I recommend some groups (but they may not speak English or very little). When do plan to move.

Would you mind citing the source? This doesn’t sound right.

The foreign players are paid six digits. Henry Sosa was paid $500K.

Salaries Up for Foreign Pitchers in Taiwan’s CPBL | Burly's Baseball Musings.