⚾ Baseball - Taiwan |Tainan/South

Wei-chung Wang gets about what he would make in the Majors.
Dragons Sign Wang Wei-Chung To 5.3-Year $2.08 Million Deal - CPBL STATS.

How does a few higher paid players suggest that data is outdated?

1 Like

Well, the fact that he was referencing getting paid under the table suggests he got some outdated information.

But it’s not just a few players. Foreign players are typically paid six digits if they play an entire season, and some of them are paid Major League Baseball levels.

Well, it’s more than he would make in the majors, which is $0, because nobody wants him. IF he were in the majors, the min salary would be 43% more.

1 Like

What the hell are you talking about? He was playing in the majors before the pandemic hit.

He explicitly referenced that as something that happened in the past.

And… that makes what he said outdated, how? And yes, it’s a few, as there’s a hard limit on the number of foreign players.

“A few years ago.”

No.

Each team as three foreign players (4 this year).

There are five teams.

That means on a normal year, that would be 15 foreign players.

Who was he playing for?

He was outrighted at the end of 2019 and nobody picked up his contract, and I don’t think anybody picked him up in 2020 either.

A few years ago isn’t in the past? What?

Yes, that’s a few - a max of 15%.

You got some weird definitions.

What I said was it wasn’t a few years ago (well, you’d probably say 10 is a few years, if you think 15 is a few players).

That’s information from 2009. I know that’s what shows up on top in the search results.

The minimum salary for CPBL major league players is 840,000 TWD per year. The average salary is 1.5 million TWD per year. (2009 data).

1 Like

What description would you use for 15%? Many? A lot? :wink:

Yep. Time is relative, and 10yrs is definitely just a few years ago. :wink:

You figure out what team Wang was playing for in 2020 yet? :wink:

Do you know when the Pandemic hit? 2020.

I said he was playing until the pandemic hit.

Wow, so far off the OP’s topic of Baseball in Tainan/KHH.

Mlb was already in spring training in 2020 before they cancelled - Wang wasn’t wasn’t on any roster that I’m aware of. I don’t think he was on a roster when they resumed either. At the end of 2019, he also had no contract. So, like I said, MLB teams don’t want him.

LOL. Yeah, momentarily, as with scores of other free agents.

He is a major league caliber pitcher, there is no doubt. It’s not like he’s over the hill.

If you listen to his interviews since 2017, like I have, he repeatedly says he wants to play before his hometown audience. I followed him when he was pitching in Korea.

It’s nice to go home and make as much as a major leaguer after going back and forth between the majors and triple-A for so long.

Do you even watch baseball? There’s MORE people playing in spring training as teams build their rosters.

You don’t like describing a max of 15% of the roster being a few players, but you like 43% delta in money being “as much” money. Nice.

No, I watch hopscotch. I’m an avid hopscotch fan.

That’s 2009 information. I know that’s what show up at the top when you google.

The minimum salary for CPBL major league players is 840,000 TWD per year. The average salary is 1.5 million TWD per year. (2009 data).

http://www.cpbl.com.tw/eng/structures/