🏀 Basketball - Taiwan | P.League considers changing Quincy Davis's status to "foreigner"

This is sad, idiotic, and outrageous, considering how much he’s done for Taiwan, including giving up his American citizenship.

8 Likes

If I were in Taiwan I’d go picket the P.League offices.

If it’s a competition issue, why don’t they just make a naturalized category?

1 Like

That head or whatever of the league, “黑人” [Blackie] 陳建州, is a fukking idiot. Everything he touches turns to sheet. He suddenly became best buddies with Yani Tseng at the peak of her golfing career and look where she is now.

2 Likes

I assume the teams can only have a certain amount of foreign players.

But other teams are bitching because his team has their foreign player plus him on the team so they think it is unfair.

Is that right?

3 Likes

I think Yani Tseng just couldn’t handle the pressure, attention, and expectations that come with being a world top player. Not sure how much of an impact Hei Ren had on her, especially since she lives in the Florida.

actually, there are other examples of Blackie getting close to other people and them getting burned. It’s a running joke with the missus and her athlete friends. Blackie is a guy that will jinx others and truly an all-around idiot.

Exactly

1 Like

can you elaborate on that or got any links to read up on, just genuinely curious.

I feel bad for the guy since he’s upset, but just to put this in perspective it’s not an uncommon issue in leagues around the world and has to be handled with balance. The Indonesian Basketball League only last season started allowing naturalized players to be tagged as local, and the Filipino Association does not allow it though they have stated they are considering a change. Same in Football (soccer), American football, etc. So it’s not personal, though his feelings are valid.

Seems next season he will still be listed as a local player.

1 Like

None of the major American professional leagues have foreign player limits.

2 Likes

Hallelujah!

There are thousands of professional leagues. The “Major American Leagues” you’re referring to are probably MLB, NHL, NBA and NFL. That’s four. The MLS does have roster limits for international players. Also, while the MLB doesn’t have roster limits for international players, they do have rules governing their acquisition which does make it easier to pick up domestic players if they were of the same caliber, so the designation matters.

The minor leagues in the NA often do have international roster limits.

NFL, MLB, NBA, are the leagues Americans care about and none of them have international player limits. NHL doesn’t either.

In the MLB it’s EASIER to sign an international player because they’re not subject to the draft, do you can sign anybody you want.

And you can sign 16 year olds. Americans have to be 18.

Not necessarily easier. It depends on their ages and who owns their rights. If they’re professionals elsewhere which is the norm then you have a very tiny pool of money to sign with. Yes, there’s pros and cons so I shouldn’t have painted it as a blanket generalization.

That said, what’s your point? You’re focusing on four leagues, including several of the richest sports leagues in the world. Is that what the P. League can be compared to? Out of thousands? The NBA and PLG obviously do not serve the same purpose.

He considered retiring if listed as a foreign player.

English article:

Davis, who is proud of being Taiwanese, stressed that he likes this land and that representing this country makes him proud, but he did not expect to be excluded in his own home

2 Likes

He isn’t a foreign player.

He said it also makes him worry about whether his children will encounter the same predicament in the future.

I know. They’re thinking of making him one.