🏀 Basketball - Why is basketball so boring now?

Just watching a game on TV after a long hiatus. The game has become so boring. I prefer games like this…

When was it ever not boring? In my town, the girls played it and we called it netball.
I prefer contact sports. A bunch of 8-foot tall dudes playing team tennis? The very definition of boring.
I’d rather watch curling or milk curdling.

7 Likes

I can understand that. Growing up watching and playing American football was my favorite. I still enjoy watching it today. But I’m glad my kids have no interest in it. Too easy to injure the brain. I’d rather they take up swimming, yoga and other low impact sports that can be done for a lifetime.

I find that’s it’s not necessarily the games itself that matter but rather the stories around it, history, rivalries, athletes with strong personalities, record breaking. I can watch anything from MMA to horse racing to golf and bowling as long as there is a good story going on

2 Likes

Less so the sport and moreso the NBA: Chinese governments’ blackmail in the industry has some pretty ripe stories :slight_smile: perhaps all the social media wars on wokeness for either side are mildly interesting as well. The sport itself within the NBA, I agree, has gotten quite boring. The league sucks when off the court stories are more entertaining.

#hockeyisbetter

Seriously, watching grown men play with their balls has never been my idea of good entertainment!

watch college ball.

It’s more geared for casual fans now with all the rule changes in favor of offense and teams favoring analytics to shoot volume 3s.

In some ways, the game is more fun. Offense flows more easily and the current trend of positionless basketball is really something. I remember loving the Donnie Nelson small ball with dallas but that has become the trend since GSW won. Although big men are starting to make a come back again.

I think my problem is that players are too friendly now. Part of the fun of sports was rivalry and grudges in the past. More trash talking and more open to show emotions. Now if you look at the ref wrong, you get a T. I think the refs need to make a change, they need to let the players show more emotion, they league got to scared after Malice in the Palace.

1 Like

Not nearly as athletic.

Yeah, but they are playing with whale testicles. That’s gotta count for something.

But they play defense.

I followed Dirk from his first to his last game, now l am glad l can follow Luka for a while. These players are special, don’t really care if the sport has become less entertaining or not.

1 Like

NBA is boring. Euroleague is the best basketball overall.

I’d rather watch college melon. :melon: :melon:

They have cheerleaders for many sports!

Who said anything about sports? :thinking:

But if you head to campus and start ogling the girls you’re labeled a perv.

Watching the cheerleaders is fine. :grin:

Sounds like wisdom that comes from hard-earned experience. :sweat_smile:

The talent is unreal right now. And this is the first time in maybe 2 decades where the East and West are equally strong, making things more fun. Usually the east has a huge gap of talent from seeds 1-4 to 5-8 so this will be a fun playoffs.

I think the game is suffering from not letting the players show emotions and trash talk more. I can’t really think of any great rivalry like Dallas vs Spurs when Dirk and Duncan dominated. The 2000s were awesome and the age of PFs which I loved. Now it’s a guards league. The game changes every era.

1 Like

It’s boring because there’s not enough run and gun. I enjoy super fast paced constant fast breaks and full court pressure.