Bath salts hit Taiwan

A story on an appalling drug coming into Taiwan. focustaiwan.tw/ShowNews/WebNews_ … 1206260041
Here’s a quote from the story.

[quote]Use of ‘bath salts’ drug on the rise in Taiwan: doctor
The use of an emerging drug sold under the deceptive name of “bath salts” has been on the rise in Taiwan, with its effects linked to unconsciousness and even death, a toxicologist said Tuesday.

“Bath salts,” a name used to disguise the illegal substance as a benign household product, is made of three major chemicals-- Methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDPV), methylone, and mephedrone, said Yang Chen-chang, a toxicologist at Taipei Veterans General Hospital.

The drug has been in the news recently in the United States since a bizarre incident in which Rudy Eugene, 31, was fatally shot by Miami police after he was found chewing another man’s face.

Eugene, dubbed the “cannibal man,” is believed to have been high on the [/quote]

OH please stop the back and forth. OP provided a good starting point for a relevant discussion, but what we’ve got instead is a pissing contest.

I only heard about this drug today, and it sounds fairly scary to me. As someone who walks alone at night frequently, I really don’t like the idea of zombiefied people high out of their minds looking for snacks. And zombies terrify me anyway, because I’m illogical like that.

Does anyone know who’s actually doing these things here? I wonder if they’ve hit the south yet, or if they’re only in the north - anyone know the Chinese name for them?

Here’s an article that appears to have an informative view of the issue. I do not condone nor use drugs but I do like to be informed about things.

alternet.org/drugs/155995/th … %22?page=1

[quote=“flatlandr”]Here’s an article that appears to have an informative view of the issue. I do not condone nor use drugs but I do like to be informed about things.

alternet.org/drugs/155995/th … %22?page=1[/quote]

It’s a new drug, I didn’t know.

This seems to be the part that scares the authorities though.

Personally I think. White foods are bad for you and white powdered dugs are worse.

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]Am I getting this right?

While the police are hunting down some marijuana plants, the kids are injecting toilet cleaner?[/quote]
“Bath salts” is just the name that stores sell this shit under in order to pretend they’re not selling drugs, sort of like gas stations selling little glass tubes with those stupid fake roses stuffed inside to pretend that they’re not selling crack pipes. The stuff has no more use as an actual bath salt than cocaine does.

Edit:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designer_drug#Common_Names

[quote]Common Names

In the UK to avoid being controlled by the Medicines Act, designer drugs such as mephedrone have been described as “bath salts” or “plant food”, despite the compounds having no history of being used for these purposes.

In the USA, similar descriptions have been used to describe mephedrone as well as methylone and methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDPV). Combined with labeling that they are “not for human consumption”, these descriptions are an attempt to skirt the Federal Analog Act which forbids drugs that are “substantially similar” to already classified drugs from being sold for human use.[/quote]

Heard the face-chewing scene happened in Miami, FL was related with such drug… I think ppl will start drinking petrol fuel sooner or later…

[quote=“akikaki1”]
I don’t think bath salts are actual bath salts ( i could be wrong), [/quote]

WTF. You post a link and pretend not reading it :thumbsdown:
Seems Jimi is right :thumbsdown:

Take out of the article is that TW is mostly 1 to 2 years behind on the drug scene which is a good thing for counter measures and intelligence collection keeping the shit out of this country. Capital punishment remember.

[quote=“Kea”]ok, jimi, I see the light. I’ve been ignoring a lot of threads and not really caring about new/low count posters. I don’t read many threads now. I see you are totally right about these posters multiplying like flies. Lack of content, lack of grammar, punctuation. No effort made to extend the thread. Just boring all around.

Forumosa admin, how about instituting the following:

1. Initial membership (up to post count of 50), only 1 post a day so you can see if someone is trolling, or posting tosh…if so, ban. Why should the mods and the rest of us have to hurt our eyes/brains and lose time reading such rubbish?
  2. Be much tougher on posters in general making no effort with grammar or content over a consistent period.

Maybe the topic (drugs) has bought out the infantile posters, but it’s a good chance to learn and improve the site.

Or maybe it’s really way to late for this site?[/quote]

I had this discussion with “Stew” (remember him, the new marketing guy?) and he told me to stop complaining and just ignore these posters. What’s clearly happening is we’re getting a lot of kids with compromised writing skills (ABC, TBA types?) coming to the site and writing in the same style they write on lolz.com or youtube. It’s not trolling but it makes for painful reading. I have no idea how you could moderate this though…

Well to go off topic…

The style of writing is going to change. Why does anyone expect the younger generation to start writing like the older generation? It really doesn’t matter if you say it’s not correct either. Imagine writing in Olde English today? So progression of language is inevitable. As to it being interesting? Maybe not. Readable? Yes. Comprehensible? No. Stylistic? Yes.

The spelling police might eventually lose the battle here. I guess we either adapt or exclude? (or die trying). I really don’t see a problem with adopting words and writing styles. I like language to be flexible, not rigid and conforming and kids are the best at expressing things in new ways.

BUT to all the younger posters (younger than my 38 years?) if you want to discuss with a wider audience, you will have to speak/write with a more generic writing style. That is if you want interaction from a wider audience?

Yahoo! That sounds GREAT! This means I can once again say what I mean instead of sugar-coating it for the censors! This is REALLY good news for the flob! No more bannings, no more suspensions! Simply “if you don’t like it, don’t read it.” I could not agree more with this policy. The flob is moving forward at last.

Salt, mmm, thirsty stuff, and even if we ain’t talking about table salt, bath salts, sea salts or even old salts, still makes a chap’s insides dry out. Time for me to pop out for some lubrication. Bang for buck you can’t go past my local supermarket selling 500ml cans of Breda 8.5% Strong Beer for NT$49. Think I’ll kick off with something lighter though, perhaps Carlsberg.
Sandman, you sure sound thirsty, so I best be having an extra one for you.
Anyway, time to unleash Operation Enigma.

49NT for a Breda :astonished:. That knock-out juice goes for just 48 down Nankan way. In fact, I think I’ll nip downstairs and pick up a couple of cans now. Thank you for reminding me, Sir!

Yep, hypothesis proven correct: the older posters tend to be more infantile. :laughing:

All this is timed quite nicely to the new series of Breaking Bad-July 15, I’m presently watching the whole lot of them again before hand. A Q-why doesn’t Blockbuster have Breaking Bad? Does it show on Mod? (well, that’s 2 Qs)

Man, that drug-meth, or P, has ravaged certain sections of NZ population, what is the situation in TW? Anyone have links?

[quote=“Steviebike”]Well to go off topic…

The style of writing is going to change. Why does anyone expect the younger generation to start writing like the older generation?[/quote]
I’m older generation. I don’t expect anyone other than my son to write properly. I sure as hell have better things to do than concern myself about semi-literacy among the foreign 20-somethings in Taiwan. I know enough of them to be fairly sure that this lack of writing ability is limited to a certain segment of society, one with which I have virtually no contact other than here on this board.
Write like a moron, I simply scroll down. But you’d think that if a person takes the trouble to type something out, he expects someone to read it without scoffing? maybe not. I don’t know what these kids do for fun these days.

After you write your post and hit submit a grammar quiz should appear. 3 basic grammar questions. You get them wrong and BAMN your post is denied and you get suspended for 24 hours. That’d smarten the tards up a bit. :smiley:

Bath salts apparently.

I really hope not.

Bath salts apparently.

I really hope not.[/quote]

Come ere darlin and let me chew your face off for a while. :laughing:

Brings new meaning to the expressions ‘chewing the fat,’ and ‘to chew someones ear off.’

Yahoo! That sounds GREAT! This means I can once again say what I mean instead of sugar-coating it for the censors! This is REALLY good news for the flob! No more bannings, no more suspensions! Simply “if you don’t like it, don’t read it.” I could not agree more with this policy. The flob is moving forward at last.[/quote]

Not sure how this thread came around to me, nor do I remember this conversation with The Bear (searched my inbox for a memory jog but came up blank). I’d have to say that the latter part does sound like something I’d say, but the former doesn’t. That said, doesn’t matter a hill of beans what I say. What goes on in posts is up to mods, not admins. Perhaps I was offering you my solicited opinion? Not sure as I don’t recall any conversation with you. Officially, I am indeed trying to attract more locals to the site. Off topic as this is, I really want Taiwanese to come and share their opinions with us, grammar foibles be damned. I hope the old guard can see past the slights of spelling and the misuse of modals to stay on message if and when an L2 learner or two happen by.

And Sandman, there is no policy change that I am aware of that would preclude you (or I) from banishment. As far as I know, the rules are still in effect.

Mods, I see this thread has caused at least 3 spinoffs (Norman Lear would be proud). May I further burden you into a 4th?

“Don’t…Don’t…Don’t believe the hype…” I neither condone nor use drugs but…

news.yahoo.com/tests-only-mariju … 04519.html