BBC vs CNN

[quote=“sandman”][quote]Sandman,also unlike you I don’t watch the news and,judge others by programming that is misleading you all…
[/quote]

Careful laddie, you’re beginning to write the same way you talk on air. :laughing:[/quote]

How many times do I have to tell people I’m merely having a good time and,attempting to perpetuate that concept of entertaining?

At least I’m kidding.The BBC people are serious… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Tigerman.

I take your point, but then I ask you. How often are say non-conservative “authorities” called in for some straight up talking head?
(And since I know your not Coldfront I know I don’t have to expect to field a “but der aint no damn non-conservative authorowties”) :wink:

I previously mentioned Tim Sebastion’s Hard Talk on the BBC, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/hardtalk/ he does get in people from all walks and grills them equally hard. I don’t see that on CNN. Instead I see a smattering of offerings from a narrow, predominantly conservative range.

As an example, during Gulf War 1, the Australian ABC regularly had Noam Chomsky as one of its talking heads to discuss his take on what was going on. They also hard die-hard hawks, both from the US and Australia. There was, in my mind, a true balance of opinion being presented and it was ultimately, as much as is possible, left to the viewer to make up their own mind.

The Australian government later trashed the ABC budget for it BTW . . . having Chomsky on of course.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Tigerman.

I take your point, but then I ask you. How often are say non-conservative “authorities” called in for some straight up talking head?
(And since I know your not Coldfront I know I don’t have to expect to field a “but der aint no damn non-conservative authorowties”) :wink: [/quote]

:laughing: That’s exacly how I was going to respond! And no… I am not Cold Front.

Seriously… CNN was owned until recently by Ted Turner, if I’m not mistaken… and he is hardly a conservative mouthpiece.

Glad I gloved up before hitting submit.
:wink:

I take your point about Ted, Hanoi Jane’s ex and so on, but still. I think my point stands. The range of talking heads is awfullly narrow. Or if they are from the outer corridor, they cop a polite bucketing. I hasten to add I can’t receive CNN, (line’s spliced up from the first floor and the signal’s too weak - but hey, the cable guy doesn’t log in here . . . does he?). but of course have seen my fair share.

HG

[quote=“Darkchild”]Sandman,also unlike you I don’t watch the news and,judge others by programming that is misleading you all…

I go out and,make it myself…[/quote]

And after you make this “news,” you distribute it to your listeners, right? I flipped on the radio the other night and there was about 60 seconds of non-stop laughter on the radio (ICRT, “Seriously Jammin” with Ron Stuart, of course). Then I listened as the DJ took callers. He knew all of the callers! What are the odds? I mean, ICRT has millions of listeners, and the same three get through every time. What luck! Couldn’t listen to the fourth caller as I thought it might be more fun to tidy up my sock drawer. By the way, every DJ should get one of those laugh tracks, otherwise, how will the listeners know when they’re saying something funny?

there are discernable differences between CNN asia and the homegrown stuff. it would have been fascinating to have access to both during the days of schock and awe. coulda seen how spin was manufactured for different audiences.

40 years ago, there was a news magazine that was THE word: time magazine. it’s helmsman (luce?) had a great hand in influencing the mood and policy of the US. the ol madame and cashmycheck in no small doubt benefitted from their christian unity with the ol man.

the old man got older. was put out to pasture. by 1985 the magazine was bunk. it still lingers on today, cruising on an old,old legacy. like CNN, time has a domestic and asian versions. the asian version kicks the homegrown to the kerb/curb.

Ah yes, whatever happened to shock and awe? Now it’s just awful shock that the WMD aren’t around.

Ted is very conservative these days.

And remember what’s ‘liberal’ for some of you, is still conservative by non-republican standards.

Brian

[quote=“HakkaSonic”][quote=“Darkchild”]Sandman,also unlike you I don’t watch the news and,judge others by programming that is misleading you all…

I go out and,make it myself…[/quote]

And after you make this “news,” you distribute it to your listeners, right? I flipped on the radio the other night and there was about 60 seconds of non-stop laughter on the radio (ICRT, “Seriously Jammin” with Ron Stuart, of course). Then I listened as the DJ took callers. He knew all of the callers! What are the odds? I mean, ICRT has millions of listeners, and the same three get through every time. What luck! Couldn’t listen to the fourth caller as I thought it might be more fun to tidy up my sock drawer. By the way, every DJ should get one of those laugh tracks, otherwise, how will the listeners know when they’re saying something funny?[/quote]

Hakka,

Your one of the few people on this planet that I actually have to admit pisses me off that you have ever listened to my program.The program isn’t meant to cheer Scrooge up.

What I would suggest for you to do is maybe get dressed up in drag (if you don’t already) and while watching yourself in the mirror try and,strain up a slight smile.Your pent up frustration over my having a good time is going to kill you.

Seriously if they have any anger management classes around here you might want to consider checking into one.All the stress that you house up could kill a Jackass.(no pun intended)

Then, in the same post:

Who needs the anger management?

I don’t think it’s meant to cheer anyone up. I mean, if you have to use a laugh track so people know when you’re trying to be funny, then I guess you’re not really funny at all. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha sigh…

(PS. In regards to dressing up in drag, I’m pretty open minded. I’m sure you could lend me some of your bras and panties, right?)

Alright,but if you don’t wash my stuff before you return it Hakka,don’t ask again…

Deal, just don’t give me any of your used licorice underwear.

Hakka, old chap, I do wonder why you’re being so mean to Darkchild. Poor fellow, he’s polite and friendly enough, and hasn’t done anything I can discern to deserve such venom and derision.

Why not bury the hatchet, kiss and make up, and enjoy a good wallow in the warm and fuzzies instead of flinging cruel barbs? If you’re really nice about it, Darkchild might play you the song of your choice and fix you up with a playful lady caller or two.

Sure he has, he’s misquoted me and accused me of lacking constructive ideas and of not having listened to ICRT before criticizing the show (when I spent a lot of time listening to it before making my comments), and he suggested I needed anger management when in the same post he wrote that he was getting pissed off… and… and… HE USED THE PHRASE “SERIOUSLY JAMMIN’!” Omni, snap out of it man, you can see where this could all lead, can’t you?

Plus, I bet he wouldn’t play my favorite song. Because ICRT never plays the Doobie Brothers and you know it!

“Sure he has, he’s misquoted me and accused me of lacking constructive ideas and of not having listened to ICRT before criticizing the show (when I spent a lot of time listening to it before making my comments), and he suggested I needed anger management when in the same post he wrote that he was getting pissed off… and… and… HE USED THE PHRASE “SERIOUSLY JAMMIN’!” Omni, snap out of it man, you can see where this could all lead, can’t you?”

And,your point is?

Look Hakka, if you want the Doobie brothers all you had to do was ask…

Darkchild, if you have some secret identity that you are content to not keep secret, kindly reveal it permanently in your signature line. I’m not going to wade through all the dross and pointless bickering there is about ICRT just to find out who you really are.

The rest of you please also take note. As far as I know, this dude is just some newbie here. If you know something that the rest of us don’t then kindly share that knowledge openly instead of alluding to it as if everyone else is somehow supposed to know all about it.

Maybe this thread should be merged with Chou’s Fantasy Football party? It’s becoming equally unintelligible to the uninitiated.

Can’t you just discuss the quality - or perhaps define your expectations - of news reporting without slagging a guy off because you don’t like what he does for a living?

Ron Stuart

[quote]
Ron Stuart[/quote]

Means nothing to me. Is he famous or something? The guy’s name has no bearing on a discussion about reporting standards, unless he happens to be Walter Cronkite or somebody. Why bring it up?

Just let the guy post his rubbish in peace, and stop giving him a hard time because you also know who his RL persona is. Or am I missing something? If he wants everyone to recognise him he should post under his real name with a "Who’s Who’ entry in his signature line.

[quote=“tmwc”]
Means nothing to me. Is he famous or something? The guy’s name has no bearing on a discussion about reporting standards, unless he happens to be Walter Cronkite or somebody. Why bring it up?[/quote]

Uh, you asked. I don’t know him either… but he revealed his identity on this forum already so I felt it was OK to reply to your question.

I don’t think I’ve given him a terribly difficult time. :?

Darkchild.

You’ve misquoted poor old Hakkasonic again. He meant got a doobie, brother? It was a peace pipe thing.

HG