BBQ day is here (a very local Taiwan only tradition)

Just back yesterday, getting ready good day for beer and BbQ, some shellfish to BBQ later

Very Taiwanese tradition , tell someone from China they will not know Taiwanese do BBQ for this holiday!

The sun is out maybe can see the moon tonight

Moon over Fukuoka two nights ago, should be super moon for those that can see it tonight

8 Likes

My understanding is that this “tradition” is actually relatively recent and was created and promoted by the producers of outdoor grills and/or fuel.

2 Likes

I heard it was from a bbq sauce commercial

8 Likes

Quite correct

6 Likes

I first run into it in southern china before I ever came to Taiwan, but china is a big place and each area have their own traditions. In my experience a lot of Chinese are ignorant of customs in other parts of the country and just say we don’t do that in China, when what they mean is we don’t do that in my area :wink:

Edit: I’m not saying Taiwan didn’t do first, just I encountered it in China first and in the area I was in they used more like a tao charcoal burner as a BBQ

2 Likes

I found the guy who started it!

IMG_9734

4 Likes

On Moon Festival too? What are the odds.

I had never heard of moon festival until I got there the first time, I just happened to be there for September that year.
To be honest I thought it was an asian tradition, I didn’t realise other places didn’t do it.

Nice grill, we will use an electric grill (oster pancake grill), lots of meat and clams and oysters and its inside the house , modern version.

1 Like

3 Likes

Okay, yes, I knew it was something like that. That makes sense.

Screw the Taiwanese flower pot grilling at your ankles along a busy road thing.

If you’re going to do it, do it right!

15 Likes

Wow, super nice set up and lots of food!!!

Ours, at home more simple

9 Likes

Stinking up the neighborhood! Anyways, tonight will be busy int the ER, food poisoning.

Heard it in Beijing in the 80s about Han Chinese smuggling secrets about a revolt against the Mongols- they didn’t explain why Han Chinese already ate mooncakes while Mongolians didn’t.
Still one of my favorite holidays- in the old days cruising around town catching all the BBQs,and stopping at friends and relatives for a visit; these days being the host for whoever stops by. Good stuff

3 Likes

I’m not having a bbq today, having it on Sunday.

Good for Halloween. End of one ghost month while another begins…

2 Likes

I have one of these grills and they are so easy to use. Slow cook racks of ribs for 3 hours or a whole turkey.
I do enjoy the social aspect and a wide variety of skewers cooked on like going for yakitori.

4 Likes

Honestly I really wanted to turn an old LPG bottle into a smoker…

Have nice Sunday BBQ ! Show us what you cook

Halloween is whole month?