BBQ Utensils

Where can I buy standard bbq utensils especially a metal brush for cleaning an iron grill, plus spatula, tongs etc. Pretty easy to find in Canada - just go to any Canadian Tire, Costco etc but there isn’t a bbq culture here.

Would probably buy stuff like that online, on Shopee or wherever.

2 Likes

Steel brush, any hardware store will have them.

2 Likes

Thank you. Duh. Why didn’t I think of that? I’m lagging way behind on the idea of home delivery of everything.

2 Likes

Oh. Right. Good idea. My brain was focused on bbq stuff.

1 Like

Tongs, spatula and stuff you’ll find at carrefour or other supermarkets. There is a couple of kinds of tongs. There’s one made of very thin metal that’s no good for anything substantial, and ones made of thicker metal.

2 Likes

Thanks!

You should definitely be able to get some of this stuff like tongs and skewers in larger supermarkets and baking supply stores and places like that. Taiwan does have BBQs for Mid-Autumn Festival. Some will be quite low quality though (essentially disposable).

Shopee is just going to have a larger range of options, and will likely be cheaper for the more decent stuff.

1 Like

I wouldn’t really be comfortable buying random China-made (or Taiwan-made, for that matter) metal brushes from a hardware store for food use. Who knows what’s in the bristles and how securely they’re attached.

Losing bristles is an inherent problem, but maybe better-quality ones can be found online. Lodge or someone might make/sell them, I think.

2 Likes

I just use steel brush to clean a grill before or after use, I would never use it during grilling. I would wash it well after brushing. Steel wires isn’t safe to eat.

If the grill is too loaded during the use, take it off, brush it, wash it well and make sure no stray bristles are remaining before using it.

Now you can get stuff specifically for grilling on shopee or taobao. Just know many items on shopee comes from taobao and have the same amount of wait time.

You don’t say? That’s of course what I was getting at.

Yes, it’s a good idea to wash after to minimize the chance of bristles being left behind. People don’t always do that well enough though, or use the brush in the middle of cooking. This is why I’d personally be cautious of buying the lowest-quality brush from a random hardware store or Shopee/Taobao.

It’s not really necessary to say this every single time Shopee comes up in conversation. Some products are shipped from China via Taobao or whatever, and some are shipped from Taiwan. It’s usually possible to judge this fairly accurately from the product description, wait time, “shipping from” location, and asking the seller if necessary.

You seem to have much more of a problem with this than I ever have. I suspect it’s more of an issue when purchasing from the cheapest possible listing of a product without carefully reading the description etc. Plus not everyone wants or is able to use Taobao.

2 Likes

The baihuo stores sell all that stuff, and more. If you are in a city, you can probably buy this stuff 24h. Loads available. Even in dinky ass rural towns of Taiwan these shops identify til 9 or 10 usually and you can buy all the BBQ related apparel. Grill, tongs, brushes, charcoal and on and on. I just don’t trust their food (ie. Sauce). That is some ultra preserved salty nonsense one can buy better quality at a supermarket.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll check shoppee although I’ve never tried using Mandarin online shopping. :flushed:

If you live in even a fairly small town, you can walk in and show them a pic. Our current town of about 1000 people have 2 shops that sell most BBQ equipment. Even different material options. Faster and cheaper than online.

1 Like

Try Coupang it has English and the app id quite easy to use and delivery/prices are quite good.

You can set the language to English on both the website and the app. It’s not perfect and not everything is translated (including the product descriptions of course), but between that and Google Translate it should be usable. Accessing the website from a computer is probably easier (mostly because it’s easier to use Google Translate and open multiple tabs to compare products).

1 Like

I like Coupang, but I think it’s better for groceries rather than stuff like this (the product range seems much more limited).

2 Likes

Thank you. I forgot to mention that I’m in Taipei.

Certainly nearly unlimited options open 24 h there. You can probably walk in any direction and within 15mins have items in hand. Just ask where the Bai Hua type stores are. You will be in wonderland tlrather than online shopping frustration. And you can use then within the hour. No shipping delays, nor fees. Probably cheaper and easier to even take a taxi at 3am.

1 Like

It’s not really like this in central Taipei IMO. Most of the everything stores aren’t open much after 10-11 p.m. I’ve passed the odd one in New Taipei, and I was quite surprised when I first went to Kaohsiung to see how common the 24-hour ones are there because I’d seldom seen them in Taipei.

Should be noted too that these will invariably be the low-quality Chinese ones, and if that’s the way OP wants to go the same items will often be available on Shopee for considerably cheaper (for stuff like this, I’d expect like a third of the price, or alternatively that they can buy far better quality stuff for the same price via Shopee). They’re definitely not going to be saving any money taking a taxi to a physical store. I think it’ll be more expensive for an inferior product.

1 Like