Beaches near Bangkok worth going to

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: Going to Bangkok for 3 or 4 days for visa run and would really like to get to a beach, but obviously donā€™t have too much time. Are there any beaches near Bangkok worth going to? And how about cheapish hotels/hostels/backpackers WITH SWIMMINGPOOLS? :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Take a bus (or cab) down to Pattaya, around 1:30 - 2:00 hours drive only and cross over the hill to Jomtien beach.

I wouldnā€™t dare to go to any beach closer to BKK. Hua Hin on the other side of the bay is also said to be ok though I havenā€™t been there myself.
No idea about cheap accomodation in Bangkok though ā€¦

I went to Hua Hin, it was great. But I was there with my family, we stayed in some sort of resort and had rented a car to do daytrips.

Wait, oops, that was 12 years ago :blush:

No clue what it looks like today.

Iris

Rascal is right. Pattaya is a probably the best beach near Bangkok. Pattaya is also known as a party place. Use to be where the US soldier hung out. So, lots of gogo bars. But watch out for the girley man. Theyā€™re everywhere.

The bus fare is inexpensive, and it is a good 1hour+ ride. Not a recommended beach, but go if you have to see the shore. Canā€™t help with the hotelsā€¦ But there are tons in Pattaya.

I havenā€™t been in about 8 years, but it seems like Koh Samet isnā€™t too much farther away than Pattaya. It used to be a nice place. Anyone been there recently?

Been to Ko Samet about 6 years ago, quite nice. Stayed at a cheapish bungalow with cold water shower (brrrr) right on the beach. :slight_smile:

Think you need to go down to or near Rayong to take a ferry from there to Ko Samet but if time is tight Pattaya / Jomtien beach is probably easier.
In Pattaya you can find many, many small hotels, just walk in and ask to see the room - those days I paid around NT$300 a night.
Had air-con and was clean but canā€™t recall the name.

Rascal, why do you say that ppl should watch out for ā€œthe girley manā€? I also saw a lot of these guys when I was in Thailand, but didnā€™t see them as a threat. Obviously I was misinformedā€¦are they the ā€œgangstersā€ there? Have you had any bad experiences?
Please let me know as Iā€™m also planning a trip back soonā€¦

Samet

Rascal, why do you say that ppl should watch out for ā€œthe girley manā€?

I didnā€™t say that. I do however assume that Rampage wanted to ā€œwarnā€ male visitors.
You know, the next morning: ā€œWhy are your feet so big?ā€ ā€¦ :wink: :smiley:

Personally I didnā€™t feel bothered at any time by the ā€œkatoyā€ as they are known in Thailand.

KO SAMET. See my post in this related thread: segue.com.tw/3/viewtopic.php?t=7456

According to several Thailand ex-pats I met while living there last year, Pattaya is just another played-out Thailand resort (add Phuket and Ko Samui, even Ko Tao): too many people, expesnive accommodation, noisy watercraft messing up the ecosystem, peddlers, sex tourists, AND, many of the hotels have a bad reputation for dumping sewage right into the water. Yes, people have gotten sick, and not very long ago. Even Lonely Planet gives Pattaya the dis.