Beat Up By Customs Agent

[quote]Well since we only know what has been posted it might SEEM odd; however, if he actually threw the change on the counter and turned for the door, I doubt if the officer thought he was just walking out to find a bank. BTW, since you said you’ve had this problem several times before - didn’t you clue your buddy to the fact that he would need more than the change in his pocket or how to ‘handle’ the guys at the overstay office?

As for the way you were treated by the U.S. and British officials, do you think their actions might have something to do with the way you were acting? Tell you what, next time you go to the U.S., and the customs guy asks you a question, just start belittling his career choice, his IQ, his family and then throw a pocket full of change on the desk in front of him. Tell us how he responds, OK? :wink:[/quote]

It’s true. I’ve never met an arrogant Brit, Aussie, or Kiwi in my life. Salt of the earth they are.

Vanny, I never realized how much of your arguments are based on speculation from your rectum. As I’ve said before, I’m not defending my friend for being a dick…I’m just trying to get some discussion going here. I find it interesting that some of you seem to condone what I think is pretty irresponsible behavior. Now, I said he put the change down on the table and walked away. Not smart, but I know he wouldn’t have thrown it down on the table. I wasn’t there, but I know my friend well enough that he wouldn’t have been deliberately combative and rash. He was frustrated and clueless.

And customs usually searches you based on the way you look, Vanny. I didn’t go out of my way to be an asshole to them when I was walking by. Now if I had given them attitude AFTER they took me to the little room, maybe I would have met Mr Rubber Glove. But I’ve learned it’s best to just cooperate and let the fingers wander. And Bob…c’mon, you can make a better “obnoxious foreigner parody” than that. weeeaaak.

Gee I thought that was a pretty good “obnoxious foriegner parody.” Satelite TV apparently thought I was serious!

This one is easy; two idiots collide, trouble follows. If I was going to assign what in California tort law is known as comparative negligence to the two I would see it as about 75% customs slimeballs fault and about 25% nitwit foreigners fault. Put simply they are both in the wrong, although the cop (in theory) is supposed to be the adult.

Actually what caused the cop to get angry is the fact that the nitwit foreigner did not have much of a bribe to give him; pocket change is not much of a bribe especially since front line customs guy has to split the take with the higher ups. I hate to burst anyone’s bubble but the (cough, cough) “fine” you pay does not go into the “general fund” (did I put that diplomatically?). Someday when I am safely back in civilized California and I write my memoirs of Taiwan I have a whole chapter devoted to the ROCs most corrupt government agency; ROC Customs. I even have some first person accounts to go in the chapter.

On a closing note, let me sit folks straight, lots of locals feel free to and often do tell the local cops (of whatever agency) to go piss off. I have seen it often, and often it can become quite the comedy show; bar maids throwing shit at cops and telling them (in both english and Chinese, at about 100db) to get the fuck out of their bars. The cops take the abuse and do not turn around and bash the locals. They are far more likely to bash a foreigner, especially if they (the cops) think the foreigner does not have any “pull”. Special treatment depends on who/what you are; not on some local/foreigner division. Or to put it more simply the local cops are bullies and look for “weaker” victims.

Take care,
Brian
President and sole member of
The ROC Customs Public Support Association

haha. well said.

Even look at those guys the wrong way a minor beating will look like a picnic.

chinadaily.com.cn/english/do … 351350.htm

Well here’s a case of a Chinese tourist being beaten by a USA boarder guard.

If your friend looks anything like that after his ordeal I recommend suing as well.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/English/doc/2004-07/24/content_351350.htm

If your friend looks anything like that after his ordeal I recommend suing as well.

[/quote]

Yes, well the difference here is that the US agent will probably actually do prison time.

[quote=“Flicka”]

Yes, well the difference here is that the US agent will probably actually do prison time.[/quote]

if not for the horrible state that woman is in, then just for being so stupid.

ARRESTING MAN FOR MARIJUANA

MACING AND BEATING FEMALE CHINESE TOURIST

why do i not see the connection there?

seriously Flicka the two cases are hardly comparable.

haha. well said.

Even look at those guys the wrong way a minor beating will look like a picnic.[/quote]

Punk muthafucka wid a badge and a gun and it doesn’t make it right no matter what nationality holds em.

The immigration officer in question has been lucky enough to be able to indulge himself. Customs and immigration officers in the West dream about the week their most difficult customer is someone who throws his loose change on the counter in a fit of pique.

Both assholes. How professional was this IO ? Isn’t there an element of proportionality ? Christ, in my working life if the worst I have to deal with is some guy throwing a girlie fit in front of me I’m landed.

If I was the IO I’d have had him detained. But you can’t go assaulting people just because you’ve got a uniform. There are far better ways to make him suffer.

[quote=“AndyO”]

Punk muthafucka wid a badge and a gun and it doesn’t make it right no matter what ethnicity holds em.[/quote]

fuck that its the judge that scares me.

[quote=“AndyO”][quote]Well since we only know what has been posted it might SEEM odd; however, if he actually threw the change on the counter and turned for the door, I doubt if the officer thought he was just walking out to find a bank. BTW, since you said you’ve had this problem several times before - didn’t you clue your buddy to the fact that he would need more than the change in his pocket or how to ‘handle’ the guys at the overstay office?

As for the way you were treated by the U.S. and British officials, do you think their actions might have something to do with the way you were acting? Tell you what, next time you go to the U.S., and the customs guy asks you a question, just start belittling his career choice, his IQ, his family and then throw a pocket full of change on the desk in front of him. Tell us how he responds, OK? :wink:[/quote]

It’s true. I’ve never met an arrogant Brit, Aussie, or Kiwi in my life. Salt of the earth they are.

Vanny, I never realized how much of your arguments are based on speculation from your rectum. As I’ve said before, I’m not defending my friend for being a dick…I’m just trying to get some discussion going here. I find it interesting that some of you seem to condone what I think is pretty irresponsible behavior. Now, I said he put the change down on the table and walked away. Not smart, but I know he wouldn’t have thrown it down on the table. I wasn’t there, but I know my friend well enough that he wouldn’t have been deliberately combative and rash. He was frustrated and clueless.

And customs usually searches you based on the way you look, Vanny. I didn’t go out of my way to be an asshole to them when I was walking by. Now if I had given them attitude AFTER they took me to the little room, maybe I would have met Mr Rubber Glove. But I’ve learned it’s best to just cooperate and let the fingers wander. And Bob…c’mon, you can make a better “obnoxious foreigner parody” than that. weeeaaak.[/quote]
Andy, what is it about seeing my post that makes you skip the important stuff and go straight for the sarcasm???
Why didn’t you address this…[quote]BTW, since you said you’ve had this problem several times before - didn’t you clue your buddy to the fact that he would need more than the change in his pocket or how to ‘handle’ the guys at the overstay office? [/quote]
Too logical for you? :wink:

[quote=“ac_dropout”]http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/English/doc/2004-07/24/content_351350.htm

[/quote]

fromn the same article:

“Rhodes ( the customs agent involved) was charged with violating the woman’s civil rights by injuring her, and could face up to 10 years in prison if convicted.”

The law, in the USA, works both ways.

Professionalism and CKS should NEVER be used in the same sentence (possibly even in the same multivolume encyclopedia). When I moved back to the U.S. the first time, the customs “police” walked along my boxes slashing them with razor blades. They were NOT trying to open them, they were just cutting them along the sides. We had words, to say the least. At the end of it all, the director of CKS showed up and apologized.

He was called down because the police took another couple of swipes at the sides of the boxes when confronted.

Preeeeeeecisely. When in Rome, don’cha know. Foreigners are expected to follow the law when locals don’t…I have YET to have an officer of the loo…err…law have a valid response when I tell him that he has to ticket the Chinese who are doing the same thing that I am (usually parking waiting for my wife in front of a red line NOT disrupting traffic like the 7 cars in front of me) before he tickets me (usually followed by a "you don’t know what ma fan is until you piss me off and I start hauling you and your superiors up the chain of command).

Now, THIS guy at the airport overstaying, he was obviously an idiot. That does not excuse the attack from the so-called “authorities.” (yes, I think “authorities” is a euphamism in Taiwan…none of them have any, yet like to think they do).

And this is after 10 years with the only real run in being the vandals at the airport (even if they were wearing a badge, vandalism is vandalism).

By the way, according to the director of CKS at the time, their vandalism was excusable because I brought the boxes in the incorrect color of truck. I guess only white trucks are allowed to drop things at the passenger terminal :laughing:.

[/quote]

The thing is, in the U.S. (where law is sorta respected) the agent WILL be prosecuted…whad’re the chances of that happening in Taiwan :wink: .

If it was a credible story wouldn’t it have been posted in the first person with a real name?
Tell your friend the next time a law enforcement officer hits him just lie down and play possum.

[quote=“acearle”][quote=“ac_dropout”]http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/English/doc/2004-07/24/content_351350.htm

[/quote]

The thing is, in the U.S. (where law is sorta respected) the agent WILL be prosecuted…whad’re the chances of that happening in Taiwan :wink: .[/quote]
really? never heard of Rodney King, etc? :unamused:
crimsonbird.com/history/rodneyking.htm

[quote=“Vannyel”][quote=“acearle”][quote=“ac_dropout”]http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/English/doc/2004-07/24/content_351350.htm

[/quote]

The thing is, in the U.S. (where law is sorta respected) the agent WILL be prosecuted…whad’re the chances of that happening in Taiwan :wink: .[/quote]
really? never heard of Rodney King, etc? :unamused:
crimsonbird.com/history/rodneyking.htm[/quote]

Yep…I believe there was a prosecution :wink:. Most people didn’t like the verdict, but I distinctly remember there being a prosecution :slight_smile:.

Someone obviously forgot how the jury system works…

[quote=“Vannyel”]Andy, what is it about seeing my post that makes you skip the important stuff and go straight for the sarcasm???
Why didn’t you address this…[quote]BTW, since you said you’ve had this problem several times before - didn’t you clue your buddy to the fact that he would need more than the change in his pocket or how to ‘handle’ the guys at the overstay office?[/quote] Too logical for you? :wink:[/quote]

Vanny, I was just backing up your delicious little zing. I can usually recognize sarcasm…Now,

A) I wasn’t aware that my friend had overstayed or I would have given him the lowdown.

B) I wasn’t aware my friend was going to act like a choad in the overstay office or I would have advised him not to.

I just thought those idiotic questions were more of your charming sarcasm. Otherwise I would have given you an answer.

And Boomer, my friend told me he was beat up. I believe him, but I don’t care if you believe it or not. If my friend wanted a full investigation, I would have told him to contact the Overseas Americans in Taiwan and given you a full report. But I think playing possum is a good plan tho. I’m going to try it next time I get into a traffic altercation with a local. I think it would work even better than “pai sei”