Beaten up for commenting on helmetless kids

[quote]Living in fear in Taiwan
When I crossed a street, I noticed a man taking two children for a ride on a scooter. They were not wearing crash helmets, so I remarked he shouldn’t be transporting them in this way. By that time, my wife had already rejoined us.

We exchanged some heated words. I am a father of two and understand the importance of safety on scooters and I try to instill it in others.

In the meantime, the man took out his cellphone and I said we could call the police if he wishes. He said “OK” and that he was about to do it. He was also shouting out that I am a foreigner and this was not my country, that I should go back to my homeland and that there was no place for me in Taiwan. He spiced it up with a lot of obscenities, which I couldn’t comprehend, but was told about it by my wife.

We left the man making the phone call and resumed strolling, unaware of any danger. We had been happily engaged in conversation when suddenly the man appeared to the right of me. At the same moment, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. I turned around and noticed the man had brought along two accomplices. One of them, a particularly aggressive man with glasses, hit me on the head with a brick.[/quote]

taipeitimes.com/News/editori … 2003521244

Where is the Apple daily or Next magazine … news channels …

I’ve been a few times close to what is described here but it never really escalated because I just walked away from the idiots … watching my back

Big mistake … they always call their buddies, back-up because they are cowards …

I don’t believe it actually. Of course such things can happen but this story sounds wrong. Guy can’t speak Chinese but manages to speak well enough to get someone really angry at him. He gets hit by a brick but is able to function enough to describe the guy who hit him and go file a police report. He now lives in fear despite the fact that all the bystanders tried to intervene and help and this is an incredibly rare event?

Sounds like someone trying to cause a stir. I could be wrong and if so I apologize to the man, but this read so much like a troll on Fcom.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]I don’t believe it actually. Of course such things can happen but this story sounds wrong. Guy can’t speak Chinese but manages to speak well enough to get someone really angry at him. He gets hit by a brick but is able to function enough to describe the guy who hit him and go file a police report. He now lives in fear despite the fact that all the bystanders tried to intervene and help and this is an incredibly rare event?

Sounds like someone trying to cause a stir. I could be wrong and if so I apologize to the man, but this read so much like a troll on Fcom.[/quote]

His wife was with him … and his kids …

BTW, when I’m angry I discuss in English … not Chinese … and than they become irritated because they don’t understand what’s being said …

Living in fear in Taiwan
I wish to share with you an account of something that happened last Saturday in New Taipei City (新北市).
My wife and I took our children for a walk at about 6pm. I left home earlier with both children because my wife had to make some preparations for them.
When I crossed a street, I noticed a man taking two children for a ride on a scooter. They were not wearing crash helmets, so I remarked he shouldn’t be transporting them in this way. By that time, my wife had already rejoined us.
We exchanged some heated words. I am a father of two and understand the importance of safety on scooters and I try to instill it in others.
In the meantime, the man took out his cellphone and I said we could call the police if he wishes. He said “OK” and that he was about to do it. He was also shouting out that I am a foreigner and this was not my country, that I should go back to my homeland and that there was no place for me in Taiwan. He spiced it up with a lot of obscenities, which I couldn’t comprehend, but was told about it by my wife.
We left the man making the phone call and resumed strolling, unaware of any danger. We had been happily engaged in conversation when suddenly the man appeared to the right of me. At the same moment, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. I turned around and noticed the man had brought along two accomplices. One of them, a particularly aggressive man with glasses, hit me on the head with a brick.
I was trying to reason with them because our children were frightened and kept crying and my wife was shouting at them to leave me alone. I said not to get our kids involved because they are young, but the offenders wouldn’t listen. They kept coming at me.
By that time a crowd had gathered and they were shouting at the men to leave us alone. Seeing that more people were getting involved, the attackers left us after dealing me a final blow to my face.
My wife had earlier called for her father and he had just arrived, so we all went to the police station to report the incident. My wife and my kids were really scared and I was just thinking about how to take care of them. I was not concerned about the wounds I had sustained.
The police were trying to be nice, but I had problems communicating with them as none spoke English well enough. I asked my wife to translate.
In my opinion, the police could have acted more professionally. It was only after my wife had complained that they agreed to go and inspect the scene. The attackers had left the bricks there, but the police didn’t secure them as evidence. It was my father-in-law who brought them to the police station later on. A negligence of that magnitude shouldn’t have happened.
The police were also viewing the footage from the closed-circuit television cameras located at and near the scene, but as of now nothing about the altercation has reportedly been found.
We spent more than two hours at the police station answering questions and we caused a great deal of interest, but I understood it was more to do with me being a foreigner than a genuine intention of trying to help.
The children were terribly scared and the older one was running around constantly and fell, hurting his forehead. The younger one couldn’t sleep that night.
The next day, I went to a hospital to have some checks done and also had a brain scan, but nothing was found to be wrong. I was told to immediately report back to the hospital if any symptoms like vomiting or dizziness appeared. I am also going to take another test in about a month.
1 2 NEXT ›
This story has been viewed 450 times.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reading this , my take :

1. Cultural differences here. A western person will take a bit of chiding from a stranger in such a situ because he can clearly see the stranger means well and is looking after the safety of his children by berating him (rightly so).

But a Taiwanese person will see this as a loss of face in public and an intrusion into his definition of proper care for his children. And be extremely insulted.

MOst Taiwanese are cowardly that is true. A lot of them will call up their buds to come and help them fight. Some though will attack you one on one so dont assume you have the bit of time before their friends arrive.

1. The western person obviously didnt think such a thing will happen as he was clearly looking out for the interest of the other man’s child and in the western world would not have met with such an outcome.

However he was foolish to exchange heated words with others while in the company of his own wife and children. He should avoid conflict , especially when he is with his vulnerable children and wife.

In taiwan its not a good idea to be seen as to “challenge” another person. The proper way would be to smile and say hi, how are you? Nice children you have … I have mine here as well. OH by the way, I noticed you have forgotten your helmets for them. Its dangerous without helmets. Can I lend you mine? (even if he didnt have them with him). Because this is an out for the other person. He will no doubt make up some excuse that he forgot and is going home to get them, etc.

Just smile and be polite (means mutual respect here).

The mans children will not be safer with this exchange. But after a heated exchange the man is still going to take his kids on his moto without helmets and now he is bothered and angry and even more in danger of making a mistake in traffic. End result, even greater danger for the mans kids and a whack on the head for the westerner.

Its paramount to observe rules of politeness with strangers in Asia. To not do so has resulted in people being knifed or whacked with bats etc.

A loss of politeness means a possible escalation of conflict on the wan.

People are highly compressed on the island and the veneer of politeness is of great importance to keep everyone on an even keel.

His motives were noble but his execution was not good at all.

[quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote]Living in fear in Taiwan

We left the man making the phone call and resumed strolling, unaware of any danger. We had been happily engaged in conversation when suddenly the man appeared to the right of me. At the same moment, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. I turned around and noticed the man had brought along two accomplices. One of them, a particularly aggressive man with glasses, hit me on the head with a brick.[/quote]

taipeitimes.com/News/editori … 2003521244

Where is the Apple daily or Next magazine … news channels …

I’ve been a few times close to what is described here but it never really escalated because I just walked away from the idiots … watching my back

Big mistake … they always call their buddies, back-up because they are cowards …[/quote]
Never ever let them make the cell call…KNOCK IT OUT OF THEIR HANDS AND KICK IT AWAY!

Remember this.

Sad the guy had to experience this and that his family, and children, have this imprinted in their heads.

Off course it could be that he knew some Chinese words that the local didn’t like … :ponder:

[quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote=“Muzha Man”]I don’t believe it actually. Of course such things can happen but this story sounds wrong. Guy can’t speak Chinese but manages to speak well enough to get someone really angry at him. He gets hit by a brick but is able to function enough to describe the guy who hit him and go file a police report. He now lives in fear despite the fact that all the bystanders tried to intervene and help and this is an incredibly rare event?

Sounds like someone trying to cause a stir. I could be wrong and if so I apologize to the man, but this read so much like a troll on Fcom.[/quote]

BTW, when I’m angry I discuss in English … not Chinese … and than they become irritated because they don’t understand what’s being said …[/quote]

I know. But think how many times you and I have gotten pissed off with locals and told them off? How many times have you been hit with a brick?

Even if the story is true it’s more of a cautionary tale of how one should not to be a dickhead and tell other people what to do rather than an example of how this is a dangerous society.

This is fear mongering and the TT should not have published it.

You are a foreigner, you don’t waltz in and get into 'heated" debates with local people you don’t know over their own children. Did this guy just arrive? You may mean well, and may even make suggestions, but it’s probably a good idea to back the hell off when your words fall on deaf ears and the discussion approaches anything resembling “heated”.

Agreed. +1

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote=“Muzha Man”]I don’t believe it actually. Of course such things can happen but this story sounds wrong. Guy can’t speak Chinese but manages to speak well enough to get someone really angry at him. He gets hit by a brick but is able to function enough to describe the guy who hit him and go file a police report. He now lives in fear despite the fact that all the bystanders tried to intervene and help and this is an incredibly rare event?

BTW, when I’m angry I discuss in English … not Chinese … and than they become irritated because they don’t understand what’s being said …[/quote]

I know. But think how many times you and I have gotten pissed off with locals and told them off? How many times have you been hit with a brick?

Even if the story is true it’s more of a cautionary tale of how one should not to be a dickhead and tell other people what to do rather than an example of how this is a dangerous society.

This is fear mongering and the TT should not have published it.[/quote]

I’ve been on the brink of being hit with a bat and a steel pipe … does that count?

No. :smiley:

I have been hit by a tap?!! Most random object but, it was not in Taiwan so doesn’t count.

Just a few days back this guy in car stopped next to me … he had a toddler on his lap (about 1 year old I guess) … I suppose he really is convinced that putting his kid on his lap is safer than putting it in a baby seat … but yes, I bit my knuckle and didn’t comment on it …

Ahhh…the Taiwan apologistas arrive …message vs messenger and all that.

As a Father I have raised this issue, helmetless children, on occasion when relevant.
Never had such a reaction. Maybe it was contemplated - but a smile with sincere eye contact might have been a deciding factor.

The story sounds absolutely plausible.

It’s as well paramount to know that politness in Taiwan is all about how you interact verbally, not so much about what you actually do. There are all sorts of things going on the streets here which are not understood as impolite, but are considered impolite and reckless in the West like cutting, hitting the breaks, not looking, going through red lights, stopping in front of someone’s face on a crosswalk and lots of other dangerous stuff.

I think tommy got the point. Chinese people in general have extremely thin skins, and any criticism seems to be the verbal equivalent of slapping them. If you’ve got something to say, be polite and respectful about it … and in any case, there’s a good chance you’d get a similar response back in your home country, whereever that is.

Frankly, I’m so sick of seeing helmetless kids I try to write it off these days as Natural Selection in action. Heartless I know, and it’s not the kids’ fault their parents are only barely smart enough to reproduce, but there’s not much I can do about it. Going around trying to civilise the natives is a bit high-handed, when you think about it.

As for the police response … what’s new? When we choose to live here, we come to accept that social harmony relies largely on keeping your nose clean and steering clear of the authorities (who are not, of course, the police).

Horseshit.
If this article saves one person from being attacked and/or brings these criminals to justice it is well worth the “printing.”

Sad but true.
ITs like pissing against the wind, even if you are in the right.

[quote=“touduke”]The story sounds absolutely plausible.

It’s as well paramount to know that politness in Taiwan is all about how you interact verbally, not so much about what you actually do. There are all sorts of things going on the streets here which are not understood as impolite, but are considered impolite and reckless in the West like cutting, hitting the breaks, not looking, going through red lights, stopping in front of someone’s face on a crosswalk and lots of other dangerous stuff.[/quote]

Yes u know what i mean.

His Page two comments:

Being a foreigner here, I stand out like a sore thumb and I or my family could be targeted at any time. My wife is afraid to leave home and I can’t blame her. If things like that occur and are allowed to happen in a society that claims to be educated and hospitable, no law-abiding citizen can feel safe.
If remarking about the safety of their own kids results in an assault like the one just described, I dread to think what might happen if someone accidentally steps on their toes.
I have traveled to many countries and lived abroad for some time and have never had such a traumatizing experience. This man’s xenophobic and obscene behavior was appalling and if that’s the way Taiwanese society feels toward foreigners, then it’s the last place on Earth I want to be.
“Taiwan Next” seems an irony in this case. “Taiwan Never” would make a better slogan.
I’d like to believe it was an isolated case and won’t happen again, but it’s hard with a wife and children fearing for their lives every day and night.
Slawomir Starok
New Taipei City
‹ PREVIOUS 1 2

+++++++++++++++++++

I think that equating all of taiwanese with the actions of this one man is wrong. What about the ones that tried to help him ? And if he is indeed scared of the wan because of this one incident (which he was the instigator believe it or not) then perhaps he should pack up and leave.

There are assholes on the wan. Many of them. And there are asshole foreigners too. Cant export the taiwanese ones but if a non native is planning to instigate incidents repeatedly due to intolerance, lack of vision or whatever, then perhaps it is better if he were to go elsewhere.

Behave on the wan or face consequences. IF South East Asians cause problems on Taiwan they get thrown off the rock. So far taiwanese respect and hold whiteys in high regard. IF a time comes thru constant issues with whiteys on the rock, eventually the Taiwanese can be turned off whiteys and then there will be truly xenophobic reactions that will be much much more unpleasant (for all really).

Go to a country foreign to oneself. Play by the social rules or face the actions.

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote=“Muzha Man”]I don’t believe it actually. Of course such things can happen but this story sounds wrong. Guy can’t speak Chinese but manages to speak well enough to get someone really angry at him. He gets hit by a brick but is able to function enough to describe the guy who hit him and go file a police report. He now lives in fear despite the fact that all the bystanders tried to intervene and help and this is an incredibly rare event?

This is fear mongering and the TT should not have published it.[/quote]

Why on earth shouldn’t it have been published? Why do you want to white wash the realities of this place? Why is your default to assume the westerner is a “dickhead?” One would think the one who resorted to assault and battery with weapon would be better called such names, regardless of the westerner’s words or actions. There is no justification for such behaviour.

It is perfectly plausible that things went down as described. This is a collectivist society. Even violence is collectivised. Locals are more likely to attack in numbers and with weapons.