Beef stock, soup, stock cubes

Make your own. Get a group buy going to have a milk cow killed locally and divide up the meat.

Beef must be imported still, why would it not be? All the beef “steak” and noodle soup shops cant get that quantity domestically.

Chicken is way easier as there are millions here already as compared for tens of thousands of cows which lean toward milk market

Or just the local meat markets. The dirtier it looks the more chances you would have of buying left overs…generally speaking.

Out of curiosity, why not pork? Cows and chickens here are treated equally as horrible as pigs, and for the meat cows are still fed total shit. Perhaps a religious (muslim?) issue? Never heard of a pork free building in taiwan.

Not the building some occupants of my living apartment.

Beef is imported massively from USA, Australia, and New Zealand. SO why not stock?

Because it’s made out of bones, marrow and can carry ‘mad cow’ disease.

2 Likes

Thank you.
2 cows in a field chatting:
one says to the other: What do you think of this mad cow disease then?
Other Replies: don’t bother me I’m a tractor.

1 Like

you can maybe buy online on amazon? or ask a friend to post a package fr you by mail? its a light weight item, wont be too expensive to send

I believe it is illegal to import any beef products. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Seems unlikely given the amount of beef available…more likely just need to import with proper paperwork which isntngoing to happen with Mr. Li buying iherb products online.

Belgian pie post about marrow and import regulations sounds interesting, be good to learn more on that front. Seems quite possible. Probably along the lines of why we see US/AUS/NZ beef here but never canadian or UK beef.

Animal (beef) offal, bones, brains can not be imported from many countries.

:no_no: :crazy_face:

Thanks! I’ll look for this.

1 Like

Interesting. Had no idea on the bone front.

UK beef…ya. The canadian story is more complicated.

International trade is such a different world than traditional cuisine, quite interesting.

yes, but beef stock is : " Concentrated beef stock (39%) (water, beef extract), glucose syrup, salt, beef fat (5.4%) [ beef fat, antioxidant (rosemary extract)], flavourings, yeast extract, carrots† (1.8%), potassium chloride, palm oil, caramel syrup, gelling agents (xanthan gum, locust bean gum), sugar, leek†, parsley† (0.4%), maltodextrin"

I dont really think mad cow disease survives in this environment…

1 Like

You can get beef bones at some butchers. They have good marrow too. I’m in taichung…I assume you guys are looking in Taipei.
Here’s the beef stock I buy. I know at least 2 shops that sell this in Taichung. Older restaurant supply store.

3 Likes

That’s the one I was able to buy in Taoyuan before (here: 全國食材廣場有限公司
https://maps.app.goo.gl/VZaSoTVnnNcRuN6YA) but I haven’t seen it stocked in years.

The problem with prion is they are very very tough. Nothing short of extremely high temperature (way higher than boiling) will destroy it. You could cook a piece of beef for days and days and it will not affect the infection potential of the prion.

Because prion is basically misfolded proteins, not something that is even alive (like viruses and bacteria).

And the worst thing about mad cow disease is it’s dormant for years or decades.

Prion diseases are often the worst.

I have a feeling the beef stock you can get now may be new old stock, meaning once it runs out, it’s gone.

Nah. The ban on beef is only from North America and UK, a few others. This broth uses cows from non mad cow regions. That’s why you can’t get common brands, they usually use US beef. I’ve bought it consistently for ten years plus. I bought this one last month. Look at the local restaurant supply shops. I can share the ones in taichung if anyone is interested

I have it and know where to get it. I think it’s made in Thailand. It’s Nestle and they have some things done in Thailand or Malaysia.